Hobart Game Thread... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Hobart Game Thread...

OK I remember that one, the feed was less then clear so I didn't even realize that was a BTB shot. Voigt with back to back hat tricks which is nice to see. Scored 2 goals on scramble plays, wish we could set him up better.

Yeah, just looked. It's at the 4:32 mark of the highlight video but you can barely see it's btb. There's another clip that shows it clearer. Pretty impressive footwork.

Porter looked locked in and showed no signs of any confidence issues after getting pulled on Saturday.
Defense has been mostly solid in 2 out of the last 3 games, good timing since Cornell could be the best offense they face this season.

Porter looked locked in and showed no signs of any confidence issues after getting pulled on Saturday.
Defense has been mostly solid in 2 out of the last 3 games, good timing since Cornell could be the best offense they face this season.

Porter made some very good saves on low shots yesterday; looked like he was seeing the ball very well.

Great game by the Orange and encouraged by a lot of performances. Porter was obviously great, made some very nice saves and looked cool, calm and collected throughout the game. Tremendous bounce back performance. Rhefuss looked like his old self, aggressively dodging and finding open teammates. His body language looked much better, hopefully this will be a turning point for him. Also important to see Buttermore get back on track, I think having a fourth midfielder providing scoring punch is extremely important this season, he really is fearless when he is shooting. Phaup just seems to get better as the game goes along, what a tough player he is.

Defense looked very active and aggressive, could have picked up a few more groundballs in the first half but overall thought they looked very good. Did anyone notice who went in on D when the benches emptied? I think Mellen stayed on and I saw Barlow with a longstick, just trying to keep track of who might have burned a redshirt.

Nice to see the youngsters score, very encouraged by the freshmen midfielders, hope they make a big impact next season.

Did Cook get much burn? I just see 3 TOs and a CT in the boxscore.

Defense looked very active and aggressive, could have picked up a few more groundballs in the first half but overall thought they looked very good. Did anyone notice who went in on D when the benches emptied? I think Mellen stayed on and I saw Barlow with a longstick, just trying to keep track of who might have burned a redshirt.

I thought I saw Murphy out there with a longstick but maybe I saw the wrong number?

Boxscore says that both Logan Dieball and Mikey Berkman saw action.

I did see Dieball played on one of the wings during a FO.

I can't confirm that Berkman played.

I thought I saw Murphy out there with a longstick but maybe I saw the wrong number?

Was about to say I saw him out there as well. Makes sense as he came in when Bomberry was out for the army game. Highly likely that the 2 definite D poles next year will be mellen and Murphy.

Boxscore says that both Logan Dieball and Mikey Berkman saw action.

I did see Dieball played on one of the wings during a FO.

I can't confirm that Berkman played.

Deiball definitely played, I didn't see Berkman at all, that might be an error.

Was about to say I saw him out there as well. Makes sense as he came in when Bomberry was out for the army game. Highly likely that the 2 definite D poles next year will be mellen and Murphy.

I expect some combo of Mellen, Murphy, Staats, and Kennedy bumping down. Kennedy's brother could be in the mix as well at some point.

Did Cook get much burn? I just see 3 TOs and a CT in the boxscore.

Cook got some run at attack in the 4th but truthfully struggled to hold onto the ball dodging from X. Did like that he got minutes at attack versus middie where he just doesn't seem comfortable. With Solomon running through the box the offense has a nice wrinkle and SU can play different pieces. At one point it was Cook Rehfuss and Voigt at attack with Solomon Buttermore and someone else at middie.

I expect some combo of Mellen, Murphy, Staats, and Kennedy bumping down. Kennedy's brother could be in the mix as well at some point.

I wonder what happened to DiPietro, just because he saw some solid time as a freshman a couple of years ago and I would have thought he's be more of a contributor at this point.

I wonder what happened to DiPietro, just because he saw some solid time as a freshman a couple of years ago and I would have thought he's be more of a contributor at this point.

I believe he redshirted this year most likely due to an injury. Kinda hard to see some time on D when the Cunningham Bomberry Mellen trio has been an established unit. Honestly I was not a big fan of his game when he saw time. Seemed physical but too slow and missed some slides. Would be nice if he comes in with some development since we could use a guy with experience when Bomberry and Cunningham leave.

I believe he redshirted this year most likely due to an injury. Kinda hard to see some time on D when the Cunningham Bomberry Mellen trio has been an established unit. Honestly I was not a big fan of his game when he saw time. Seemed physical but too slow and missed some slides. Would be nice if he comes in with some development since we could use a guy with experience when Bomberry and Cunningham leave.

Thanks, yeah if he redshirted I completely missed that. I don't recall a lot about his play a couple of years ago and you're right the close defense has been pretty solid the past couple of years although I swear sometimes Bomberry scares me out there.

As noted by Doctah DiPietro is red-shirting this year and I believe has fallen down the pecking order at Close D. With 3 strong starting options, plus Kennedy's ability to bump down I think taking a RS year made a lot of sense. Hopefully with a year off he can come back and make an impact for his last 2 years.

I like DiPeitro and think he has made some good plays throughout his career. He was rotated in pretty regularly last season and I'd be confident if he was a starting defender. Curious if he has an injury or if they are just straight up red-shirting him? Don't see that too often if you aren't a freshman.

Still confused about the Dami thing, he's been suiting up all season but clearly not playing. Does he get a year of eligibility back if he doesn't play or is he suspended? If he comes back that could free up Murphy to play close D. Also sounded like Staats was going to play quite a bit this season before he was injured.

I've thought a lot about it but I think I like Kennedy more at pole than at close, he is such a terror in the middle of the field I think his greatest strengths would be kind of wasted at close d. A lot more time left to think about this of course.

I think 'Cuse will have some good options next year to play close D.

Dami is academically ineligible but is practicing (well) as allowed and has remained engaged including dressing and rooting on sidelines. Expected to return at DM, that unit could be team strength next year with Dearth ,Helmer (assuming he returns as rs sr) Dami and Murphy as well as Barlow and Small who are progressing nicely. Dieball and his size could also factor. The anticipated strength of dm group could allow both Helmer and Murphy to grab long poles though I think Helmer has become too valuable there
DiPietro missed some time in fall with hammy, was healthy by winter but behind others so decided to rs and compete for position in 20 with two sr close defenders graduating. Anticipate Murphy, younger Kennedy and perhaps Staats to be in mix. Think plans were to drop older Kennedy down for matchups but found him too valuable at mid field. Also have some good recruits that could allow shifts
Powell is correct, plenty of options and versatility.

Was told he took a voluntary red shirt. Thought he had a better chance seeing time next year.

Thanks IT, very grateful for the insight.

I also liked what I saw from Lauder last night, not sure I saw much defending but he looked pretty confident in the clearing game (something we're still struggling a bit with). Page seems like an incoming frosh would could compete for time somewhere as well. Others may disagree but Fernandez doesn't look completely healthy to me - he doesn't look nearly as aggressive as a defender as he did as a freshmen. He's been strong on the wings but I thought I'd see more takeaways from him this year.

Sat in Hobart section with some alumni. Students showed up primed to support and celebrate. It was very festive in first half and night was beautiful. Enjoy it very much. Hobart made me nervous early, showing why they are having good year. They get up and down field, moved ball and kept pressure on with several second chances. A few Hobart rips got beyond Porter early but Cuse fortunate that was on from start as he was peppered. In second half, Cuse simply turned it up on both ends but especially on D. Mellen was stout on Aslanian all game. Kennedy shut down whoever he took despite being questionable with bad cold . Bomberry was active and the slides were there tonight . Dearth and Helmer are simply good dm's . Appeared that Hobart O got frustrated with our D and Porter and started to go one on one to no avail. Their O went from being smooth to disjointed . Offensively , we played loose and quick after the 1st period .Trimboli again had a top game without much fanfare , Voigt shows such great hands and quick release. Very encouraging to see Refhus being more assertive and Buttermore ripping on goal again. Others not mentioned obviously played well especially in second half. It was good to see some, Nelson isn't afraid of getting blasted around crease and always does something. Magnan registered a couple and may be ready to give a boost .

... Magnan registered a couple and may be ready to give a boost .

It was good to see Magnan score a couple of goals. I was listening to the SU broadcast, so I couldn't tell whether he was playing against Hobart's scrubs. Do you know whether he was playing against Hobart's first team or not?

It was good to see Magnan score a couple of goals. I was listening to the SU broadcast, so I couldn't tell whether he was playing against Hobart's scrubs. Do you know whether he was playing against Hobart's first team or not?
Magnan entered around ten minute mark and his scores came quickly after. Aslanian and others were still in very late in game so Im going to assume first line D was as well. Only heavy subbing seen by them on some late man downs but that happen well after his MM scores

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom