Hollinger's Draft Rater has Waiters as #4 overall prospect | Syracusefan.com

Hollinger's Draft Rater has Waiters as #4 overall prospect

moqui

generational talent
I generally like Hollinger . . . I hope he and all the other raters are correct in their predictions for Dion. I won't beat a dead horse other than to say I remain skeptical

Just the other day Calhoun said Dion was the best player in the Big East this past year and no one could take over a game like he could. Momentum is picking up.

I generally like Hollinger . . . I hope he and all the other raters are correct in their predictions for Dion. I won't beat a dead horse other than to say I remain skeptical

Wow. There are three ways to look at this I suppose, one is that Dion was way underrated and is now performing better than originally thought, that the initial top of the draft was overvalued or a combination of both.

My guess is that basically everyone outside of Anthony Davis (in the eyes of the evaluators) is basically just grouping into tiers rather than a true first, second, third...

I would guess Dion has catapulted himself into the "first tier behind Anthony Davis".

I'm with you, I'm a bit skeptical. I think he can do very well, but I wouldn't bet on it (not saying I would bet on him failing).

Wanna copy and paste or summarize it? Please.

Wanna copy and paste or summarize it? Please.
cutting and pasting premium material is not allowed . . . and the summary is that Waiters is #4 on his draft board

And now the basketball world knows what albanycuse knew 5 years ago.

cutting and pasting premium material is not allowed . . . and the summary is that Waiters is #4 on his draft board
Just out of curiosity what does his top ten look like?

Just out of curiosity what does his top ten look like?
here are his top 30

1. Anthony Davis
2. Thomas Robinson
3. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
4. Dion Waiters
5. Andre Drummond

6. Quincy Miller
7. Jared Sullinger
8. Terrence Jones
9. John Henson
10. Royce White

11. Bradley Beal
12. Harrison Barnes
13. Tony Wroten
14. Kendall Marshall
15. Marquis Teague

16. Draymond Green
17. Jeremy Lamb
18. Damian Lillard
19. Austin Rivers
20. Doron Lamb

21. Furkan Aldemir
22. Will Barton
23. Tyler Zeller
24. Evan Fournier
25. Tyshawn Taylor

26. Meyers Leonard
27. Terrence Ross
28. Perry Jones
29. Festus Ezeli
30. Fab Melo

At face value right now, Dion surprises a little at #4, but think he may end up that way or close to it in terms of overall impact a few years into his NBA career. A little swagger combined with strong skills, energy, and determination should make him do quite well, assuming he keeps improving on emotional maturity in the process. Ball handling, passing, shooting, finishing, defense, and a few rebs - yeah, he's got great potential.

here are his top 30

1. Anthony Davis
2. Thomas Robinson
3. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
4. Dion Waiters
5. Andre Drummond

6. Quincy Miller
7. Jared Sullinger
8. Terrence Jones
9. John Henson
10. Royce White

11. Bradley Beal
12. Harrison Barnes
13. Tony Wroten
14. Kendall Marshall
15. Marquis Teague

16. Draymond Green
17. Jeremy Lamb
18. Damian Lillard
19. Austin Rivers
20. Doron Lamb

21. Furkan Aldemir
22. Will Barton
23. Tyler Zeller
24. Evan Fournier
25. Tyshawn Taylor

26. Meyers Leonard
27. Terrence Ross
28. Perry Jones
29. Festus Ezeli
30. Fab Melo

Thanks.

And wow, this is interesting. White and Miller high, and Jones, Ross and Leonard low.
Draymond Green is high in his rankings, I think he could be very good for anyone, Barnes and Beal outside of the top 10 as well.

What is Waiters' actual rating number wise? Not his ranking but the actual number.

Just for comparison's sake, Wes Johnson's rating was above a 13, which Hollinger believes means that the player is basically bust-proof and is guaranteed to be at least a good rotation player.

Edit: Also looking at past results, he thought that Austin Daye, Jonny Flynn, and Hasheem Thabeet would be good rotation players too.

What is Waiters' actual rating number wise? Not his ranking but the actual number.

Just for comparison's sake, Wes Johnson's rating was above a 13, which Hollinger believes means that the player is basically bust-proof and is guaranteed to be at least a good rotation player.

Edit: Also looking at past results, he thought that Austin Daye, Jonny Flynn, and Hasheem Thabeet would be good rotation players too.
Hollinger changed the Draft Rater formula, and presumably none of those guys would score highly under the new system.

Dion is a 14.12, highest perimeter player in the draft and, in the words of Hollinger, "the best small wing since Dwayne Wade."

Hollinger's rankings are based on projected PER, which is his stat of course. Doesn't really factor in the height issue of Dion being only 6'4". To add a bit more detail on the summary, Dion is the highest ranking perimeter player. Hollinger said he would be a steal if he were to fall to the 8-10 range and expects him to be the best wing since Dwyane Wade.

Hollinger changed the Draft Rater formula, and presumably none of those guys would score highly under the new system.

Dion is a 14.12, highest perimeter player in the draft and, in the words of Hollinger, "the best small wing since Dwayne Wade."

Hmmm... We'll see. I'll be extremely surprised if he comes anywhere near DWade's level in the NBA. He was nowhere near Wade in college.

It's like some of you refuse to believe your eyes. Dion will be a star. Start wearing glasses, some of you need them.

Guess Moqui beat me to this post.

I had used the Wade comp myself (obviously not the only one on this board). I am surprised how well Dion rates though

(I believe the draft rater DOES take height into account)

The inclusion of Aldemir shows that this guy knows what he's talking about. But some of those ratings surprise me [not the least of which is Jones III].

Wow. There are three ways to look at this I suppose, one is that Dion was way underrated and is now performing better than originally thought, that the initial top of the draft was overvalued or a combination of both.

My guess is that basically everyone outside of Anthony Davis (in the eyes of the evaluators) is basically just grouping into tiers rather than a true first, second, third...

I would guess Dion has catapulted himself into the "first tier behind Anthony Davis".

I'm with you, I'm a bit skeptical. I think he can do very well, but I wouldn't bet on it (not saying I would bet on him failing).

He's not performing at all because he has been shut down from working out for teams since doing the measurements at the combine. What a great move this has proven to be by his camp as far as his draft status goes. He's the buzz of the lottery (not named Anthondy Davis) because of so much mystery. Is there really a guarantee out there? Is he a 1 or 2 in NBA? Can he play man defense? The teams have even less opportunities to try to answer these questions now. All these teams are denying their part in this guarantee and trying to pin it on other teams and it's just bringing his stock up further. Teams seriously interested are trying to figure out where this guarantee came from and thus may move up further to assure getting him and curiosity from earlier teams that may have not had him on their radar is also increasing. Professional sports love potential which is usually tied together with uncertainty when dealing with younger guys where they have not been scrutinzed as heavily as the older more experienced guys, so this shutting down his workouts brings on more intrigue and interest in him and is proving to be a great move (assuming he doesn't have some huge draft day fall). Can you imagine if he ends up being a top 8 pick or even higher and there actually wasn't any guarantee? He would have skyrocked up boards without actually doing many team workouts at all and virutually no combine stuff or anything after. Gutsy move by his agent that would prove to be pretty big time.

If and when Dion hits it big I will be happy for him and any collateral benefits the program picks up from that success. It should benefit in the recruiting area at the least. If Calapari farts his championships to get recruits at every opportunity we can use this.SUball

dion will be a starting pg in the association for a long time.

Just the other day Calhoun said Dion was the best player in the Big East this past year and no one could take over a game like he could. Momentum is picking up.

I just wish...you know, he had actually done that as much as people want to say he was capable of doing it.

There might be some mystery about Dion's 'persona' because of the pull-out, but there's no mystery as to why he's shooting up the draft. The kid can come off the bench and provide a high intensity offensive spark -- he does this one thing better than any other guard in the draft. It's not complicated.

To boot, he's got excellent athleticism, good range (36% from outside), can finish inside and make plays, and (I suspect) demonstrated at the LV workouts and combine (before he left) that he will have no trouble guarding at the NBA level. In fact, because of the spacing he'll get in the pros, he might be even better at the next level.

This is probably why he's starting to get listed over Brad Beal. Nice player (he hit from all over the court when he played in the dome), but he doesn't have that one high value skill that Dion seems to bring to the table.

Definitely beers on ice for this year's draft -- my money's on Fab going first round...20's. I don't see Dion making it to the 'promised' land (Arizona), he'll be gone by the time the Raptors choose. KJ (second round possible) and Scoop might need FA contracts.

This reminds me of Jonny's rise.

Hope this one turns out better...otherwise, we are going to get a reputation...

This reminds me of Jonny's rise.

Hope this one turns out better...otherwise, we are going to get a reputation...

Jonny was under a microscope (not saying that is why he didn't perform), but he should never have been chosen where he was by Kahn. He was in a no-win situation and his injuries/play didn't help an already toxic situation.

Jonny was under a microscope (not saying that is why he didn't perform), but he should never have been chosen where he was by Kahn. He was in a no-win situation and his injuries/play didn't help an already toxic situation.
Not to mention that the triangle was the worst offense he could have been selected to run given his skill set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom