Holy | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Holy

I feel awful for everyone involved. I'm not a religious person but this seems appropriate no matter what you believe

"There but for the grace of God go I".

A terrible tragedy that could happen to anyone of us. My brother was killed in a car accident where he was at fault. It's something that never leaves your memory or heart but you learn to live with.

Dz8dSVyWwAEq8WG.jpg

Was it not duke’s students who taunted the passing of an opposing players grandmother a few years ago? Maybe it was Arizona.

I think it was disputed, but there were rumors that the fans were taunting "How's your grandma?" - On an unrelated note, there has been a lot of talk about lawsuits over everything. From what I understand, there are a lot fewer frivolous lawsuits then we think. In this specific situation, there are a lot more facts waiting to come out so we are all wise to wait before jumping to conclusions over what happened and what will happen.

Some of you may think I’m being insincere but having a chance to digest all of this I recognize that my initial reaction was out of line and I’m sorry that this was even a small distraction in this thread. Hope we see JB on the court saturday and hope the players use this as extra motivation.

Hopefully opposing student sections will have more common sense and sensitivity than I did.

I'll give you some credit for not doubling down, as we've seen in the past when a post goes horribly wrong.

A lot of H0T Takes in this thread without any facts or info.

Talk of scholarships and lawsuits and we don’t even know why the victims vehicle was in the middle of the road or what his toxicology report is.

At this point just sounds like a tragic accident all the way around. I believe a judge would dismiss a suit.

I think technically speaking it could be against the law to abandon a vehicle on the highway and to be walking on a highway to begin with.

Far be it from me to defend Franco, but this victim-blaming is worse than anything he posted.

A middle-aged man is dead. His friends and/or family watched him die while going about his everyday business.

Come on, man. That's terrible.

I think it was disputed, but there were rumors that the fans were taunting "How's your grandma?" - On an unrelated note, there has been a lot of talk about lawsuits over everything. From what I understand, there are a lot fewer frivolous lawsuits then we think. In this specific situation, there are a lot more facts waiting to come out so we are all wise to wait before jumping to conclusions over what happened and what will happen.

Im sure jb has adequate insurance. The whole civil lawsuit thing is an issue for his insurers if it comes to that.

He’s in a tough spot. it’s a bad look if he coaches Saturday. Would create the impression that he isn’t affected by what happened.

Let’s get more information as it is released.
Yes conditions were icy but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s not at fault either. Could’ve been driving too fast for the conditions. Or maybe the pedestrian was impossible to see. Who knows at this point.

He shouldn’t be driving himself home at that late hour. I wouldn’t trust my parents at that age either. Asking for something bad to happen.
He’s in a tough spot. it’s a bad look if he coaches Saturday. Would create the impression that he isn’t affected by what happened.

Let’s get more information as it is released.
Yes conditions were icy but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s not at fault either. Could’ve been driving too fast for the conditions. Or maybe the pedestrian was impossible to see. Who knows at this point.

He shouldn’t be driving himself home at that late hour. I wouldn’t trust my parents at that age either. Asking for something bad to happen.

Oh Really? I taught in car drivers ed. I've had 90-year-olds, taking a refresher driving course drive better than 20, 30, 40 -year-olds.

I recall driving on 690 during a snowstorm years ago, weirdly also after a blowout win over Louisville. It was a horrifying experience, even with the flow of traffic going like 10-15 mph.

Really unfortunate. If the conditions are just wrong,it can be out of everybody’s control.

Last edited:
I haven’t lived in the Syracuse area for years, but I recall that that stretch of 690 wasn’t very well lit. It doesn’t look like that’s changed much from the picture posted earlier in this thread.

I recall driving on 690 after a snowstorm years ago, weirdly also after a blowout win over Louisville. It was a horrifying experience, even with the flow of traffic going like 10-15 mph.

Really unfortunate. If the conditions are just wrong,it can be out of everybody’s control.

That was 2006, the Gameday game during McNamara's senior year? Holy crap, that was a terrifying driving night. Heavy snow, no visibility, and cold, if I recall.

That was 2006, the Gameday game during McNamara's senior year? Holy crap, that was a terrifying driving night. Heavy snow, no visibility, and cold, if I recall.

I believe so. I recall others that I knew at the game had left a few minutes early because the outcome was long decided, and they had a much easier drive. We stayed until the end like any other game, and it was not fun. Zero visibility beyond a few feet, and the windshield wipers kept getting full of snow/ice so they weren’t effective.

But that road made it even worse. Every now and then I remember questioning if we were still on a road...and this was with bumper to bumper traffic pretty much. Just dark, and with the helpless feeling that if any car were to lose control, that everybody else was in a lot of trouble.

I believe so. I recall others that I knew at the game had left a few minutes early because the outcome was long decided, and they had a much easier drive. We stayed until the end like any other game, and it was not fun. Zero visibility beyond a few feet, and the windshield wipers kept getting full of snow/ice so they weren’t effective.

But that road made it even worse. Every now and then I remember questioning if we were still on a road...and this was with bumper to bumper traffic pretty much. Just dark, and with the helpless feeling that if any car were to lose control, that everybody else was in a lot of trouble.

Sounds like the night. I was taking my post-grad year and drove up from Colgate with a then-girlfriend and coincidentally stopped after the game at Tully's right at that exit, hoped the weather and traffic would clear. Must've been midnight when we left, and 690 was terrifying, then Route 20 through Madison County was even worse. It was like a 2 hour white knuckle drive, I'll never forget it.

Terrible news... But for the sanctimonious posts trying to subtly blame the dead fellow for getting out of his car, what in the world do you suggest he do? Do you know if he had his phone on him, and that it wasnt dead? Maybe he didnt have AAA or anyone he could call at midnight or at all? We dont know. Stop assuming everyone is in your situation, but is (somehow)less intelligent than you.

It was cold out, he may no longer have had heat, it isnt like he could just wait forever with the aid of the hindsight(precognition, in his case) of somebody swerving off the road exactly where he was. A bit more sympathy would seem to be in order, rather than empty words. We dont know his situation.

I dont know that portion of road, but Ive been in a similar situation myself where I did have AAA but needed to find a mile marker(per their instructions). It might not apply in his case, but some of the posts telling people what never to do are ridiculous.

JB doesnt need anyone to sully the dead fellow to be vindicated.

Last edited:
Everyone has said it pretty well above. Coach will live with this for a long time. Even if you are 100% not at fault he will still live with some guilt that he was involved with the death of a person. My uncle was hit head on by a drunk driver driving on the wrong side of the road. My uncle walked away, but the drunk driver died. He still felt guilt for years that he was involved in a fatal accident even though it was 100% the deceased persons fault and he was lucky he walked away.
Also thankfully coach was not injured and avoided a bigger crash that could have involved several cars. I have to think of so much that went on in the span of probably 10 seconds. He is trying to not hit a car in the middle of the road, and to try not to collide with another car that had stopped to avoid the car in the middle of the road. There was a lot visually going on. It is so understandable that the pedestrian was not visible to him at all in that moment.

I live in Morrisville am retired and thats why I dont go to Bball games in winter or anywhere for that matter .. I cant handle Dome steps anymore and just watch on tv .. FB games I may go if I get ride

Field sobriety and alco-sensor tests for both drivers were negative for any signs of impairment

Both drivers? Was the victim a passenger? I haven’t read anything today on this subject other than this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom