Holy | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Holy

I'm sure everyone is recalling bad situations they found themselves in while driving a car. I once 360'd down an exit ramp at Norther Lights after being tailgated by a tractor-trailer all the way from the city. I had to exit at full speed and hit a slick spot. I recall wondering what I was going to hit as I had no control over the car at all. I hit nothing but wound up along side the road with the car stalled and pointing in the wrong direction. I managed to get the engine to turnover and prayed nobody would be coming down the exit as i turned around and went home, shaken and grateful that I had survived.

The night Pearl hit the shot that beat Georgetown, (1/28/85), I'd just pulled onto 81 when the electrical system in my car shut down. I coasted to the side of the road and took the only flashlight I had in the car and put it on in the rear window. I walked back down the exit and took what looked like a short-cut to the nearest service station and wound up waste deep in frigid swamp water. I got out of that and finally made it to the service station, which was closing. I explained the situation and that I was concerned that someone might crash into my car and finally convinced them to go out in the tow truck and retrieve the car. the electrical system of the tow truck then failed after they got there and hooked my car up and the guy had to drive the truck holding together the wires under the dashboard and saying "come on baby!" over and over again. We made it to the next exit and managed to drive back to the service station. I walked back home and got there in time to see Pearl hit his shot.

Another time I came out form a movie at Great Northern. A pick-up truck with an elevated chassis and a large spare tire mounted on the side was parked next to me. I pulled out but could not see to my left. Suddenly a car appeared and I jammed on the break - except I whiffed and hit the accelerator and T-boned the car. I felt sick when I saw a bunch of little kids get out of the car with their mother. it turned out everybody was OK, another chance to feel grateful.

I've always thought that if anybody got seriously hurt in an accident I was involved in, I would prefer to be the one hurt than to try living my life knowing that I had hurt or killed someone, even if the accident was not technically my fault. I know Jim Boeheim has the moral strength and family support that he will need to get over this. And I know he will try to do anything he can for the Jiminez family, although that might get difficult if it becomes a court case and any gesture might be misinterpreted as an attempt to influence the case. But he'll never forget this. Nobody could.

Things like this are why I drive gray roads and avoid white or black roads. I also avoid freeways if i can.

I think he should do Gameday and coach the game Saturday. there will be no joking atmosphere when he's there but it would seem timid to hide from what happened. his team certainly needs him. I was going to send in my questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show but I'm going to wait until Matt Park does his "in the Booth" show to see if there will be a show tonight. i would certainly understand if it was cancelled.

Last edited:
Again, I'm not speaking about this particular accident or family, but many people file civil suits/wrongful death suits over far less. Pretend this wasn't JB for a minute. If this same thing happened in Minnesota, a family could sue the driver because he left the restaurant at 11:15 pm, or claim was was listening to music in the car, and that chain of events led to someone's death, and it's therefore their fault. I think this is unlikely to hold up in most courts, but the point of many civil suits is to settle to avoid a long case.

Disclosure - I'm not a lawyer.

Enough said, please.

people say don't get out of the car, but what happens if an 18 wheeler plows into you. then, its "why did he stay in the car." very sad.

Yeah, this is a good point. In my accident in 2006 in this same spot that I referenced above, there was a disabled car with nobody in it around a bend on 690 near the Thompson Exit. You could not see the car until you were right up on it, which caused four cars (none of us were speeding) to all rear end each other. So the person who was in the car had to make a horrible choice, do I a) stay in the car and possibly get killed if its a tractor trailer that hits me, or do I b) roll the dice and try to run off the highway. It's just an awful decision either way.

I agree that we live in a society that desires to sue for just about anything under the sun, but on what grounds could a civil suit even be based on in this situation, against Boeheim? From what’s been shared so far JB was driving with a 0.00 BAC, at the appropriate speed, avoided a crashed car/accident and hit a person who was outside of the car... where’s the responsibility/negligence in that for a lawsuit?
If I had to guess, this will probably trigger a shotgun lawsuit, where JB and the city/township are sued.

Drove to Rochester from Baltimore last night (4:00 to 11:30). Roads were icy the whole way. Simply changing lanes was a very touchy situation. If Cuse roads were anything like Rochester braking and moving over to avoid a car in the middle of the road, especially on 690, would have been daunting.

the thing is, the cases are easy to get to a jury and JURIES ARE CRAZY. its a constitutional right, but trust me, sympathy wins the day, not the facts.

A lot of H0T Takes in this thread without any facts or info.

Talk of scholarships and lawsuits and we don’t even know why the victims vehicle was in the middle of the road or what his toxicology report is.

At this point just sounds like a tragic accident all the way around. I believe a judge would dismiss a suit.

I think technically speaking it could be against the law to abandon a vehicle on the highway and to be walking on a highway to begin with.

I am certain JB and the university will take all necessary steps to handle this appropriately and compassionately. Likely to resolve quietly, unless the city is involved

I could EASILY see myself doing something like this.

Easily.
Yes, I’ve had a morbid fear of it. And I have come close to backing over pedestrians in parking lots. Barely missed someone walking at night in my own neighborhood. They were wearing no reflectors and too far out from the side of the road. I know all of us could tell similar tales.

He’s in a tough spot. it’s a bad look if he coaches Saturday. Would create the impression that he isn’t affected by what happened.

Let’s get more information as it is released.
Yes conditions were icy but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s not at fault either. Could’ve been driving too fast for the conditions. Or maybe the pedestrian was impossible to see. Who knows at this point.

He shouldn’t be driving himself home at that late hour. I wouldn’t trust my parents at that age either. Asking for something bad to happen.

I haven't logged in a loooong time, but I wanted to just to congratulate you for making the worst post this board has ever seen.

Talk of scholarships and lawsuits and we don’t even know why the victims vehicle was in the middle of the road or what his toxicology report is.

At this point just sounds like a tragic accident all the way around. I believe a judge would dismiss a suit.

I think technically speaking it could be against the law to abandon a vehicle on the highway and to be walking on a highway to begin with.

Field sobriety and alco-sensor tests for both drivers were negative for any signs of impairment

That's horrific.

To add on to what Cherie said, people, when you see a car/vehicle pulled off the side of the road, and you can safely do it, move your vehicle over to the middle lane.
According to the reports I read, the car was in the middle of the road.

One of my daughter’s friends was killed a week after she graduated from college because she was struck by a car while walking in the road after a fender bender. I encourage folks to teach your young drivers what to do and what not to do after getting into a motor vehicle accident. It may save their life. Such a tragedy.

Such a fantastic post. Thanks for the reminder. This will be the conversation with my son tonight after his game.

He’s in a tough spot. it’s a bad look if he coaches Saturday. Would create the impression that he isn’t affected by what happened.

Yes conditions were icy but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s not at fault either. Could’ve been driving too fast for the conditions. Or maybe the pedestrian was impossible to see. Who knows at this point.

He shouldn’t be driving himself home at that late hour. I wouldn’t trust my parents at that age either. Asking for something bad to happen.

Come on man, really?

According to the reports I read, the car was in the middle of the road.

Sorry, just read that part after the hour long meeting I just came out of. Made an assumption.

i am not speculating about this particular case. i am just telling you how it works in the real world. all a plaintiff really needs to get a case to a jury (aka make a prima facie case) in this scenario is an expert to say that the driver was going too fast or somehow could have avoided the accident. you can get an expert to pretty much say anything. like it or not, that is how the system works.

it is a bit inappropriate to talk about right now, but i didn't bring it up. just filling those in who broached the topic. that is a decision the family will have to make but i doubt its even in their minds now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom