Holy | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Holy

I fear that insensitive student sections in an up coming game will find a way to wave signs and scream things about the accident in attempts to distract JB. Stupid kids will think it's funny and a good idea.
That's pretty messed up im all for taunting the visitors but not something like this.

Another thought: On 1/2/76 there was a famous chain-reaction crash on Route 81 after a Syracuse Blazers game went into overtime and the road had just iced over, (a friend attended that game and said that if there hadn't been a long brawl and OT everyone would have gotten home safely). As it was over 60 cars piled up and 65 people wound up in the hospital. No one died but one person lost a leg. I've always been concerned about having big events during the winter around here, especially when i go down Colvin on that hill. One mistake and there could be a very big problem.

Syracuse Herald Journal Newspaper Archives, Jan 3, 1976

The current incident could certainly happen anyway but I've always thought it would make sense to have every sport be self-contained in the fall or spring semesters so that the big events like this Duke game would take place in the spring rather than the winter and road conditions would be less likely to be a problem. (It might also help the players academically, giving them a semester to concentrate on their studies.) Play Arkansas State when there might be a blizzard or ice storm. Play Duke when the birds are singing.

Last edited:
I fear that insensitive student sections in an up coming game will find a way to wave signs and scream things about the accident in attempts to distract JB. Stupid kids will think it's funny and a good idea.
Coach K would shut down that behavior in a heartbeat and you bet Duke players would not be cool with that

022119-690accidentjpg.jpg

Syracuse Basketball Coach Boeheim the Driver in Fatal Pedestrian Crash

Disabled vehicle in the middle of 690.

Coach K would shut down that behavior in a heartbeat and you bet Duke players would not be cool with that
Was it not duke’s students who taunted the passing of an opposing players grandmother a few years ago? Maybe it was Arizona.

I think schools have a way of getting the message out to student sections via the student leaders. Certain stuff is off limits. I remember when that picture of JB having a wet spot on his pants after Duke game went around... there were some jokes, until people/posters pointed out it's due to his bout with prostate cancer. I haven't seen or heard anything on that from opposing crowds or fans. I'd hope this gets the same treatment...it could happen to any one of us.

Man, those roads look treacherous. Where the car is situated on the highway is also incredibly dangerous. Smack in the middle with piles of snow along the side, making an already narrow road even tighter. An awful situation to be in for all. Inconceivably, this situation could have been even worse somehow.

Good advice is to stay in your car, but for many it's tough advice to follow especially if it is the first accident you have been involved in.
Who knows how shaken up the guy was after the initial crash. I've been involved in 2 MVCs and both times spun around a few times and totally disoriented.

That and the dark environment, he might not have known he was even on the road at that point.

Sad situation.

This is going to be the biggest thread in the history of Syracusefan. Already at 9 pages.

I just wish it was for something happier.

I agree, but SU doesn't play at Duke again this year, so it's a mute point. Roy Williams at UNC should do the same. Can't say about Wake or Clemson. Hopefully they would too.

If a student section taunted SU overt his it would be the most classless act in all of sports.
My only worry is the ACC tournament. Is it in North Carolina this year?

Oh man that picture, definition of a tragic accident. Those poor people had a bad choice or a worse choice(s). Sit in the car and hope a semi doesn't roll into you and the car, get out of the car and risk what happened, or try and go over the rail there and fall down what looks like a hill right toward the highway in the other direction.

Just horrible. Feel so deeply for all involved.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom