Holy | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Holy

And then defamation becomes a way to stop a free press from reporting. The Times V. Sullivan case was a bellwether case for dozens of others across the south during the civil rights era where public officials threatened defamation and lawsuits against newspapers because they didn't like the way they were being portrayed in the press. These judgments against the papers had the effect of the press being muzzled. It's a slippery slope you go down when you say that you do not need to prove actual malice.

On your second point on the state of the media -- I would only say that traditional and legacy media outlets have a much higher standard to publish than most citizens would think. They aren't throwing at a wall and hoping it will stick. Sometimes even when a story comes out that has all the facts and all the interviews, there can be a mischaracterization that goes to the heart of these kinds of defamation suits, and the judgment of the SCOTUS in the original case allowed the press to be a government watchdog without fear of retribution through lawsuits based on small issues that turned out to be untrue, while the scope of the story was still proved to be factual. As I said, it's a slippery slope.

I was with you in the first paragraph. Your second paragraph was thrown out the window by traditional and legacy media a long time ago.

It’s such a bad thing obviously for both families. Coach will always think he did something wrong or coulda done something different as well as the family of the victim. I pray for both families. So very sorry.

i feel terrible when i hit a squirrel by accident. i think hitting and killing a human, even if it were not at all my fault, would alter my life forever long term..and short term i dont think i would be functional at all.

Wow - this made me gain so much respect for JB.

I think this is part of why we feel such tremendous feelings for the man and the program, despite being a cranky curmudgeon at times with the press , the man is truly a great man with a huge heart for others, its rewarding to see him do what we all imagine we would ourselves would do when confronted with an emergency situation. He put himself on the line to try to help in the midst of seeing exactly what could happen. Such a tragedy to have to experience , and of course to the Jimenez family as well, just a terrible accident.

Last edited:
Ack... there is a report that Boeheim tried to help the guy... That could not have been fun or pretty... Im guessing JB might be pretty shaken up and not coach. just my thoughts

I think this is part of why we feel such tremendous feelings for the man and the program, despite being a cranky curmudgeon at times with the press , the man is truly a great man with a huge heart for others, its rewarding to see him do what we all imagine we bnb ourselves would do when confronted with an emergency situation. He put himself on the line to try to help in the midst of seeing exactly what could happen. Such a tragedy to have to experience , and of course to the Jimenez family as well, just a terrible accident.
I have no doubt in any corner of my mind that JB did exactly as described. People’s exterior often hide what lies inside.

Where does the program go from here?
We obviously don’t want to lose the recruits we have. Anyone have any
Inside knowledge about what J. Is going to do?

Where does the program go from here?
We obviously don’t want to lose the recruits we have. Anyone have any
Inside knowledge about what J. Is going to do?
Honestly the rest of this season doesn’t matter.
The family of the victim and JB’s mental health are the most important issues.
The program will be fine. The season will go on but it really doesn’t matter for the time being.

lol, you have got to be kidding with this post.

I can’t be curious about the future of our program? It doesn’t mean I’m not also concerned about JB and his mental well-being. I’ll just ask the question most want to know but won’t bother asking because obviously they don’t care seeing as we are posting on a syracuse fan site

I can’t be curious about the future of our program? It doesn’t mean I’m not also concerned about JB and his mental well-being. I’ll just ask the question most want to know but won’t bother asking because obviously they don’t care seeing as we are posting on a syracuse fan site

You can be curious about the program, many of us recognize that this event could prove to be program changing. But there is no way that your question can be answered now other than having uninformed people throwing out pure speculation and guesses. If you want to wallow in the pure speculation I'm sure there is plenty of it in the Post Standard forum or on twitter.

I doubt very much that JB and his family have even begun to process how this event impacts them emotionally and mentally, much less determine how it might impact their long term plans.

Last edited:

No I can't say thinking about the possibility of losing recruits less than 2 days after the accident occurred to me. When and if there is serious discussion about a retirement possibility, then those discussions make sense.

It might now have been the most appropriate thing to post. I would be shocked if JAB hung it up. He hated sitting during his 9 game suspension. He might take time off and he might not. Coaching will probably be the best thing for him although it would not surprise me for him not to coach Saturday.

It might now have been the most appropriate thing to post. I would be shocked if JAB hung it up. He hated sitting during his 9 game suspension. He might take time off and he might not. Coaching will probably be the best thing for him although it would not surprise me for him not to coach Saturday.

I dont think anyone can predict how any person will react in such a situation. Basically, I would not be shocked if he quit tomorrow or decided to become a monk. there's no precedent here to make an informed prediction on.

Dopey. First JB has to figure this out for himself. Then he has to help Juli figure it out. And then his friends. Then we can worry about basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom