Holy | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Holy

When they first broke the report they said Boeheim struck and killed someone with his car. They said he went to the police station and no drugs or alcohol were found in his system. This led Mike Ryan to think he went straight to the police station himself which would be fleeing the scene. A segment or two later they reaffirmed he had no drugs or alcohol and did not go straight to the police station.

Yeah I tweeted at Mike Ryan that what he said was incorrect and they should clarify it on air. He tweeted back at me and said they had an incomplete report previously and they were going to make sure to clarify it on air, which they did next segment. Pretty much a non-issue, except for our grandstanding DA bringing it up.

There would have been no way to do this well. A feel good hour celebrating college basketball unfortunately does not belong in this environment.
I'm ok cancelling game day but wouldn a 2 hr game be the same thing?

They will have to address it. Just as long as they don't dwell on it.

I assume that is part of why Game Day was cancelled. In that forum/format in Syracuse in the Dome it would be hard not to dwell on it.

If Lebatard or anyone of his crew said JB was drinking and fled the scene that guy deserves a major scolding from management.
You never speculate on this chit when you are talking about life and death.
Shame on that show.

Can Boeheim sue for defamation?

Hope they don't "dedicate" the game to anyone. I assume that no one from AD or Basketball program knew the guy or even knows if he cares about basketball, to me it is as though you're saying we can make it all ok.

The game should go on and probably not address it at all. Tragic situation, but trotting it out at a game doesn't feel right to me.

No way he is a public figure. The burden for public figures is extremely high. He would have to prove they intentionally defamed him and did it with actual malice.
He won’t sue.

You mean win? Anyone can sue. Because jim is a public figure, you need to prove the defamatory statements were made w actual malice. Actual malice means the party knew the statements were false when made or the party acted with a reckless indifference for the truth. Its a high burden and simple negligent reporting or getting the facts mixed up is not enough.

Everybody be tender with JB going forward, at least for a while. This is a nightmare any one of us could have experienced. He has the further burden as a public figure to bear this in the floodlights of media exposure where doubtless there will be uncalled for ridicule and callousness. There's a reason why envy is one of the seven deadly sins. Perhaps the SU fan base can spare him of some further pain by respecting and allowing for his privacy. His public statement said it just right --heartbroken.

Last edited:
Clarence thomas wants to overturn sullivan v nytimes which requires showing of malice when defamation involves public figure. This is probably a good example of why that makes sense.
Yeah, Thomas is wrong, and it's an absolutely horrible idea. But that's not the topic of the thread so I'll stop now!

Hope they don't "dedicate" the game to anyone. I assume that no one from AD or Basketball program knew the guy or even knows if he cares about basketball, to me it is as though you're saying we can make it all ok.

The game should go on and probably not address it at all. Tragic situation, but trotting it out at a game doesn't feel right to me.

Agreed. It's unfortunate but accidents like this happen every day. Why should this one get a game dedication? Just because the coach is involved in it? And I don't see anything "heartless" about not dedicating the game to the poor guy that died. If it wasn't Boeheim, it could have been some average joe that hit him or one of his companions. Would he be expected to dedicate his next shift at work to the victim of the accident? It's a just a terrible but also completely random convergence of events. What else can you say about it?

Yeah, Thomas is wrong, and it's an absolutely horrible idea. But that's not the topic of the thread so I'll stop now!

Haha, we pay for our torts when we act negligently, why not when we speak negligently??? First amendment be damned!

Haha, we pay for our torts when we act negligently, why not when we speak negligently??? First amendment be damned!
Sullivan shouldn’t be overturned.
As a lawyer we want work but if the US incorporated a modified British legal standard where in Britain the loser of lawsuits was responsible for the legal bills over the victory it wouldn’t be a bad thing.
Rule 11 sanctions are rarely granted but I think too many frivolous lawsuits are filed and there are no repercussions for these lawsuits beyond them getting thrown out.
I get not wanting the chilling effect of people filing lawsuits risking having to pay the others bills all the time but I wish judges did it more.

Sullivan shouldn’t be overturned.
As a lawyer we want work but if the US incorporated a modified British legal standard where in Britain the loser of lawsuits was responsible for the legal bills over the victory it wouldn’t be a bad thing.
Rule 11 sanctions are rarely granted but I think too many frivolous lawsuits are filed and there are no repercussions for these lawsuits beyond them getting thrown out.
I get not wanting the chilling effect of people filing lawsuits risking having to pay the others bills all the time but I wish judges did it more.

I dont know. I look at risk allocation and deterrence. If the ny times or washington post does a shoddy job investigating a story and damages someone’s reputation, i think it should have to pay for its negligence whether its a private or public figure. Why should the citizen have to bear the burden of the damage from a media company’s negligence? Also, it would encourage the media to not be loose with the facts. Its all about being first in the media today. That desire is dangerous and cause real harm to people.

I dont know. I look at risk allocation and deterrence. If the ny times or washington post does a shoddy job investigating a story and damages someone’s reputation, i think it should have to pay for its negligence whether its a private or public figure. Why should the citizen have to bear the burden of the damage from a media company’s negligence? Also, it would encourage the media to not be loose with the facts. Its all about being first in the media today. That desire is dangerous and cause real harm to people.
And then defamation becomes a way to stop a free press from reporting. The Times V. Sullivan case was a bellwether case for dozens of others across the south during the civil rights era where public officials threatened defamation and lawsuits against newspapers because they didn't like the way they were being portrayed in the press. These judgments against the papers had the effect of the press being muzzled. It's a slippery slope you go down when you say that you do not need to prove actual malice.

On your second point on the state of the media -- I would only say that traditional and legacy media outlets have a much higher standard to publish than most citizens would think. They aren't throwing at a wall and hoping it will stick. Sometimes even when a story comes out that has all the facts and all the interviews, there can be a mischaracterization that goes to the heart of these kinds of defamation suits, and the judgment of the SCOTUS in the original case allowed the press to be a government watchdog without fear of retribution through lawsuits based on small issues that turned out to be untrue, while the scope of the story was still proved to be factual. As I said, it's a slippery slope.

And then defamation becomes a way to stop a free press from reporting. The Times V. Sullivan case was a bellwether case for dozens of others across the south during the civil rights era where public officials threatened defamation and lawsuits against newspapers because they didn't like the way they were being portrayed in the press. These judgments against the papers had the effect of the press being muzzled. It's a slippery slope you go down when you say that you do not need to prove actual malice.

On your second point on the state of the media -- I would only say that traditional and legacy media outlets have a much higher standard to publish than most citizens would think. They aren't throwing at a wall and hoping it will stick. Sometimes even when a story comes out that has all the facts and all the interviews, there can be a mischaracterization that goes to the heart of these kinds of defamation suits, and the judgment of the SCOTUS in the original case allowed the press to be a government watchdog without fear of retribution through lawsuits based on small issues that turned out to be untrue, while the scope of the story was still proved to be factual. As I said, it's a slippery slope.

i understand the concern over strike suits. thats a common issue people raise. i would say that there is insurance market that the media can purchase to protect itself and also lessen the annoyance for the media companies. in addition, courts could always have heightened pleading standards or have some board review the case before the litigation could proceed, similar to med mal cases in some jurisdictions. there are remedial things to fix most of the concerns people have over strike suits. not to mention, people don't seem overly bothered by being able to sue over just about anything else. for example, there is a market out there for m&a arbitrage. basically, when a merger deal has been announced there is a slight difference between the merger price and the market price, due to the risk of the deal not closing. there are people out there who buy stock after the deals have been announced to capitalize on that small margin. they collect when the deal closes and then sue for appraisal rights, claiming the deal was not fair in order to squeeze a few more million out of the deal. people have no issue with that. not sure why people would have issues then when people are harmed by negligent reporting, even if the harm wasn't intentional.

Last edited:
He’s in a tough spot. it’s a bad look if he coaches Saturday. Would create the impression that he isn’t affected by what happened.

Let’s get more information as it is released.
Yes conditions were icy but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s not at fault either. Could’ve been driving too fast for the conditions. Or maybe the pedestrian was impossible to see. Who knows at this point.

He shouldn’t be driving himself home at that late hour. I wouldn’t trust my parents at that age either. Asking for something bad to happen.
Borderline moronic post. Sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom