Holy | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Holy

My guess would be that if the university is telling Jim to take a short breather, it is for the traumatic experience he just went through. No different than a squad leader who saw traumatic action being told by his superior to take leave for 2 weeks and come back maybe feeling decompressed. Sometimes good leadership is giving someone a break even when they may not want to. Just my thinking...

The personal opinions and presumed "common sense" throughout this thread are fairly typical. However, clinical expertise does not always align with common sense or how some think they would respond if faced with something similar.

Clinically, initial reactions to severe trauma are complex but typically include exhaustion, confusion, sadness, anxiety, agitation, numbness, dissociation, confusion, physical arousal, and blunted affect. These symptoms are normal. Delayed responses to trauma can include persistent fatigue, sleep disorders, nightmares, fear of recurrence, anxiety focused on flashbacks, depression, and avoidance of emotions, sensations, or activities that are associated with the trauma, even remotely, and a host of other physical, psychological, and emotional symptoms. These could be pathological.

Even so, people who show little impairment may still have subclinical symptoms or symptoms that do not fit diagnostic criteria for acute stress disorder or PTSD.

The point is, it takes time to accurate assess where anyone would fall on that spectrum. The 48-72 hour period immediately following severe trauma is, at best, a period of psychological triage and first aide.

Whoever is advising JB to take time is making a highly informed and clinically valid decision.

that's not always the case. speaking from experience (don't want to go into details), it is also possible to slip into auto pilot for an extended period

But where does "auto pilot" take you?

But where does "auto pilot" take you?
again, speaking only for myself, i just went through my days automatically, relying on my training, experience and routines.

my wife (then girlfriend) called me a zombie, but i found relief in it at the time and looking back i am grateful for those weeks

The personal opinions and presumed "common sense" throughout this thread are fairly typical. However, clinical expertise does not always align with common sense or how some think they would respond if faced with something similar.

Clinically, initial reactions to severe trauma are complex but typically include exhaustion, confusion, sadness, anxiety, agitation, numbness, dissociation, confusion, physical arousal, and blunted affect. These symptoms are normal. Delayed responses to trauma can include persistent fatigue, sleep disorders, nightmares, fear of recurrence, anxiety focused on flashbacks, depression, and avoidance of emotions, sensations, or activities that are associated with the trauma, even remotely, and a host of other physical, psychological, and emotional symptoms. These could be pathological.

Even so, people who show little impairment may still have subclinical symptoms or symptoms that do not fit diagnostic criteria for acute stress disorder or PTSD.

The point is, it takes time to accurate assess where anyone would fall on that spectrum. The 48-72 hour period immediately following severe trauma is, at best, a period of psychological triage and first aide.

Whoever is advising JB to take time is making a highly informed and clinically valid decision.
i trust your knowledge and jugement, but . . .
if he is following advice that is one thing
if things are being dictated to him against his will, that is quite another

You light up the flares in the front of car. Then you hold the flares and walk to behind your car. It only took 20 seconds and people will notice you if you hold the flares.

1550856735474.jpeg

The point is that the judgment that is guiding his "will" could potentially be (temporarily) compromised at this time. It is, by far, in his best interest and clinically prudent to take a little more time to determine his emotional well being before bing placed in a high stress situation - and I'm not just referring to coaching. I do agree that ultimately the decision should be his.

I feel as if nothing else needs to be said at this point by JAB or the school. Whether he coaches tomorrow or not doesn't really need to be made public or does it.

My guess would be that the university had a very sensitive and open conversation with Jim. My guess is there were more than one person in that discussion and I would imagine that they were very sensitive to Jim's thoughts and demeanor. If people communicated with Jim as you would expect then I would believe Jim didn't feel he was being asked to do anything against "his will." While the person who experienced the traumatic experience likely shared his desire, his employer will take that as a data point among other data points to make their decision. I think viewing any decisions made through a lense "against his will" is not the best lense to view this situation through. Again just my opinion...

Hopefully someone is offering to drive JB around town for the next few days or weeks. After any kind of accident let alone one involving a tragedy I know I’d be very hesitant to get behind the wheel.

Honestly hope he coaches tomorrow if that’s his will. Just purely from this selfish fan’s perspective - it’s just not the same without him.

One think I'd venture to guess... The decision will be Jim's... With some input from those he trusts...

JB may be bigger than life to SU basketball fans and be a national celebrity, but he's a real live human with a lot of complex things going on inside at any given moment. Right now I don't care that much about the impact on basketball or recruiting. I care about a family that lost a loved one and JB, the human. For all of those that are actually impacted by the tragedy, I hope they find healing. The rest of our concerns are secondary at best...

Last edited:
I’m glad he’s coaching against Duke. Coach did NOTHING wrong.

one thing that's occured to me is that he might otherwise prefer to not coach but he worries about an assistant coach coaching his first game against the #1 team in the country in front of a zillion people

if this were colgate or uconn, maybe it's a different story

one thing that's occured to me is that he might otherwise prefer to not coach but he worries about an assistant coach coaching his first game against the #1 team in the country in front of a zillion people

if this were colgate or uconn, maybe it's a different story
you are probably right

and i see what you did there at the end. well done

Right. Unless the employer feels that the employee is not capable of doing the job.
What if the employer believes they are shielding their employee? I totally get both sides of this argument. Very interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom