Home workouts. What are you doing? | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Home workouts. What are you doing?

Swimming in the ocean Tu, Th, Sat....working out Mon, Wed, Fri. Sundays are my day off and I ride my motorcycle down to an oceanside bar for wings. I check SU fan site every few days. Getting itchy to see a game on TV this Fall. Direct TV works fine here. Crazy year! Good health to all. Scott class of '62.

Time to revive this thread.

I'm coming to the end of a 15-week workout routine my son and I have been doing to improve leaping ability. Oddly enough, it seems to be working for his nearly 17-year old legs than it is for my 51-yo pins. But, I can honestly say that I've gained at least a few inches on my vertical, which is pretty cool.

What I didn't really know when I started this nonsense, but that my Apple Watch told me, was that I was suffering from atrial fibrillation. Was messing around with the watch back in late March or so and tried out the ECG app. Told me I showed signs of aFib and if that result wasn't expected I should consult my doc, so I did figuring the doc would downplay the watch results. But, they got me in the very next day to get a full EKG, and it was confirmed.

I immediately went on blood thinners (Eliquis) to prevent a stroke from my blood not pumping correctly and clotting up in one of my heart chambers. Was on those for nearly 2 months before they finally opened the hospital back up so I could have a procedure to set my heart back to sinus rhythm. Called a cardioversion, it's basically a shock with a large rectangular patch on my chest and one on my back, and the charge flows from one to the other. Had that done May 21st, and it worked on the first try. I've been normal rhythm since that day, luckily.

In terms of athletic performance, when I was doing this workout routine, I'd see heart rates up to 205 when I was doing the really taxing stuff. Haven't seen anything above 157 since my procedure. I'm feeling a ton better as well.

The best part of this is that once I was able to get off the blood thinners, I was able to get back on my mountain bike. And thanks to excellent financial planning by my company prior to Covid, I recently received a nice bonus, so I rewarded myself with a new bike. Here she is.

s1600_2019_Pivot_Trail_429_Pro_XT_XTR_1X_29_with_Reynolds_wheels_upgrade_crimson.jpg

Super excited to be healthy again, and really happy to finally be on a top notch ride.
Thats an incredible story, think you just convinced me to finally schedule that physical and buy an apple watch

Thats an incredible story, think you just convinced me to finally schedule that physical and buy an apple watch
By the way, I had a physical prior to this and they never caught it. Come to think of it, I had a colonoscopy in January and it wasn’t noticed then when I was under. Need to ask if they should have.

You can't watch old reruns forever. At least I can't.

My gym closed and I don't feel like moving furniture out of a room so set up my weights that have been stacked in the garage for years.

I've been doing yoga online, pull ups and riding my bike. Here's one that's pretty good yoga link

I may set up a limited amount of weights but I'm looking for exercise ideas to suplement not having a gym.
So I kept two pairs of college jeans. One is a pair of Girbauds and the other is a pair of Hugo Boss jeans. I have not fit into them since college.

The Girbauds are a 30 waist and the Hugo Boss are a 29.

I always swore that, one day, I'd be able to fit back into them.

Friday was the day for the Girbauds. I can button the Hugo Boss but still have to lose a few to wear them comfortably.

COVID has been good for my waistline...LOL..always a silver lining to everything...

Kegel Exercises

Silver Sneakers sent me an email a while back advising me of the five best exercises to do for seniors. Number five on the list was Kegel Excercises. I'm a little bored so I decided to look them up and do a few sets.

I just completed three sets of Kegels and boy am I pooped.

Last edited:
JarheadJim in 2053

BTW, not judging but his right forearm is way more developed. Hmmm
Sounds like this knowledge comes from personal experience

So I kept two pairs of college jeans. One is a pair of Girbauds and the other is a pair of Hugo Boss jeans. I have not fit into them since college.

The Girbauds are a 30 waist and the Hugo Boss are a 29.

I always swore that, one day, I'd be able to fit back into them.

Friday was the day for the Girbauds. I can button the Hugo Boss but still have to lose a few to wear them comfortably.

COVID has been good for my waistline...LOL..always a silver lining to everything...
Dude... you are so money on clearance rack hunting finds. You can always find size 29/30 in large supply.

Dude... you are so money on clearance rack hunting finds. You can always find size 29/30 in large supply.
So, the other brilliant thing I did with my newfound slimness, was, for the first time in eight years, to go play a game of pickup soccer - with my son, a good chunk of his varsity team as well as alums now playing in college - in 90+ degree temps - after having done my jump rope, pushup, core routine in the AM...

I had at least 30 years on every kid there.

Brilliant, I tell you. Brilliant.

It is now Tuesday and I am still having trouble moving...

I'd last 10 mins playing soccer... however at 60 I can still bench my weight easily and do a pull-up at 200lbs. (Both since I dropped 20lbs)

The pull-up was hard. I had to work on my back and start doing dips. That weight adjusted pull up thingie at most gyms is a crutch IMHO and it doesn't force you to improve. Most importantly dropping 20lbs was key.

Last edited:
I'd last 10 mins playing soccer... however at 60 I can still bench my weight easily and do a pull-up at 200lbs. (Both since I dropped 20lbs)

The pull-up was hard. I had to work on my back and start doing dips. That weight adjusted pull up thingie at most gyms is a crutch IMHO and it doesn't force you to improve. Most importantly dropping 20lbs was key.
That is really good. I know how much strength I've lost after 45 and can only imagine how much more I'll lose by the time I hit 60...

I don't max out anymore but I'd bet I could still hit 250..although after 4 months with no benching, that figure is probably in doubt...

I've always done tons of pullups...wide grip, narrow grip, hammer grip...really strict form, probably 5-6 wide...less strict..8-10 wide..hammer is easier than wide and narrow is easier than hammer...

Of course, I haven't done a pull-up in 4 months so those figures are also probably out the window right now...

Strict dips are great for Tris or Chest depending upon how you angle your body..

LOL I said a pull-up... singular right now

I did 20 at age 30...at 185 lbs

I'd like to get to 190-193lbs by Thanksgiving...maybe I can do 3-4... we'll see

LOL I said a pull-up... singular right now

I did 20 at age 30...at 185 lbs

I'd like to get to 190-193lbs by Thanksgiving...maybe I can do 3-4... we'll see
If you haven't done them in three decades, that is understandable. Good news is that, if you did them once-upon-a-time, it will be easier for you than for someone who has never done them. You'll never do 20 again but I bet you can get to 3-4...

Just got told I had high blood pressure last month so I started running again and my wife picked up a bike for me so I have been riding 10 miles every day that I don't run, on the road. I have some places near by to trail ride but haven't yet.
1596043768783.png

Just got told I had high blood pressure last month so I started running again and my wife picked up a bike for me so I have been riding 10 miles every day that I don't run, on the road. I have some places near by to trail ride but haven't yet.
View attachment 185041
Looks like a fun ride. Have you ridden with a dropper post before? Technology these days makes me a fantastic mountain biker.

Looks like a fun ride. Have you ridden with a dropper post before? Technology these days makes me a fantastic mountain biker.

I'm not sure what a dropper post is. Are you talking about the seat?? I'm still learning

I'm not sure what a dropper post is. Are you talking about the seat?? I'm still learning
Yes. The seat post is adjustable. Especially helpful when you are descending. There will be a lever on the left side of the handlebars that activates it.

Yes. The seat post is adjustable. Especially helpful when you are descending. There will be a lever on the left side of the handlebars that activates it.

I did know the seat was adjustable but haven't put it on a trail yet. Mostly just riding around my neighborhood and surrounding areas. I haven't used it to its true potential yet!

I did know the seat was adjustable but haven't put it on a trail yet. Mostly just riding around my neighborhood and surrounding areas. I haven't used it to its true potential yet!

“Adjustable” and “dropper” are 2 different things.

All seat posts are adjustable up & down (and rotationally too, but that’s more of a bug than a feature) -
so you can set the proper saddle height for a given rider.

That’s generally a one time thing, set it and forget it.

A dropper post allows you to lower the saddle while riding at the flick of your thumb, anywhere from just a little (which can be helpful on flowy single track) to all the way down (great for steep descents and rollers, also for going over larger log-overs, so you don’t get the boys slammed by the saddle).

Once you’re back on smoother ground, hit the lever and the saddle pops right back up to the normal riding position.

If you’re just riding around the hood or on tame trails, a dropper post is overkill and unnecessary.
On more technical terrain, it can be a game changer.

“Adjustable” and “dropper” are 2 different things.

All seat posts are adjustable up & down (and rotationally too, but that’s more of a bug than a feature) -
so you can set the proper saddle height for a given rider.

That’s generally a one time thing, set it and forget it.

A dropper post allows you to lower the saddle while riding at the flick of your thumb, anywhere from just a little (which can be helpful on flowy single track) to all the way down (great for steep descents and rollers, also for going over larger log-overs, so you don’t get the boys slammed by the saddle).

If you’re just riding around the hood or on tame trails, a dropper post is overkill and unnecessary.
On more technical terrain, it can be a game changer.
I’ve had one for 3-4 years now and still don’t like the fully down option. Need to feel the saddle between my thighs a bit. Helps me maneuver the bike.

I’ve had one for 3-4 years now and still don’t like the fully down option. Need to feel the saddle between my thighs a bit. Helps me maneuver the bike.

Yeah, I was the same way for a while.

But (pun intended) on stupid steep and/or technical descents, I slam that sucker all the way down.
Makes it much easier to get your ass back, which helps keep your center of gravity back and much less prone to doing an endo.

The thing I do much more often now is just lower it a smidge, maybe an inch, if that, in twisty or techy terrain.
I just bend my knees ever so slightly to drop it that little bit, and it gives you a lot more control and room for body English, without the saddle as much in the way.
But it’s still there, which like you I prefer.

That way you can still pedal as normal, rather than having to stand.

Yeah, I was the same way for a while.

But (pun intended) on stupid steep and/or technical descents, I slam that sucker all the way down.
Makes it much easier to get your ass back, which helps keep your center of gravity back and much less prone to doing an endo.

The thing I do much more often now is just lower it a smidge, maybe an inch, if that, in twisty or techy terrain.
I just bend my knees ever so slightly to drop it that little bit, and it gives you a lot more control and room for body English, without the saddle as much in the way.
But it’s still there, which like you I prefer.

That way you can still pedal as normal, rather than having to stand.
Same on the tech stuff. Even some of the harder root and rock sections on a climb. Just a touch like you said.

What bike do you ride? are you in the Cuse?

Same on the tech stuff. Even some of the harder root and rock sections on a climb. Just a touch like you said.

What bike do you ride? are you in the Cuse?

I’ve got an OG Ibis Ripley in green & black, with a RS Pike 140 fork on it.
Thomson dropper post.

(Which replaced my ‘97 Pro-Flex 957, now a rolling antique and old enough to drink legally :p )

Nope, not Cuse - we live in the mid Hudson Valley area.
Grew up in Westchester, then got married and we bought our first house in Garrison, lived there 18 years, and now have been in the New Paltz area for the last 4.

I miss riding down that way, numerous great areas there, but the MTB scene around here is improving by the week -
new trails (many not technically ‘legal’ ;) ) going in on the regular, and all very technical, some almost extremely so in spots.

I’ve got an OG Ibis Ripley in green & black, with a RS Pike 140 fork on it.
Thomson dropper post.

(Which replaced my ‘97 Pro-Flex 957, now a rolling antique and old enough to drink legally :p )

Nope, not Cuse - we live in the mid Hudson Valley area.
Grew up in Westchester, then got married and we bought our first house in Garrison, lived there 18 years, and now have been in the New Paltz area for the last 4.

I miss riding down that way, numerous great areas there, but the MTB scene around here is improving by the week -
new trails (many not technically ‘legal’ ;) ) going in on the regular, and all very technical, some almost extremely so in spots.
I tried to buy a 2019 Ripley this summer, but the dude had to delay his sale until his replacement bike comes in, its still on PinkBike right now I believe. That's a great bike! I'm super happy with the Pivot though. Only 120 travel in the rear, but 140 up front. Gave my kid the 2015 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er. That was a good bike for me as well.

I got into mountain biking when I lived in Syracuse. Bought my first bike from Eric at Bicycle Alley. Spent many hours in that shop.