Home workouts. What are you doing? | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Home workouts. What are you doing?

I tried to buy a 2019 Ripley this summer, but the dude had to delay his sale until his replacement bike comes in, its still on PinkBike right now I believe. That's a great bike! I'm super happy with the Pivot though. Only 120 travel in the rear, but 140 up front. Gave my kid the 2015 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er. That was a good bike for me as well.

I got into mountain biking when I lived in Syracuse. Bought my first bike from Eric at Bicycle Alley. Spent many hours in that shop.

The Ripley is 120/140 also, which back when I got it was Trail/All-Mountain/Enduro-lite.

Now it’s XC. :p

Pivot makes great bikes.
I demo’d some a few years ago, really liked them. Enjoy! :cool:

Yes. The seat post is adjustable. Especially helpful when you are descending. There will be a lever on the left side of the handlebars that activates it.
You guys are serious...bikers
for the rest of us...

This is my absolute favorite bike in the medium price range for comfort and for 3-15 mile rides. I have the 7 speed. Kinda Overkill in Florida though ;-). My wife has a 7 speed Electra with lights and it works great for her too. I bought her a "Karen approved" old school bell ringer so she can tell people she has the right of way.

Why I like it is the pedal crank is set forward and being 6'4" it really makes it comfortable

Last edited:
“Adjustable” and “dropper” are 2 different things.

All seat posts are adjustable up & down (and rotationally too, but that’s more of a bug than a feature) -
so you can set the proper saddle height for a given rider.

That’s generally a one time thing, set it and forget it.

A dropper post allows you to lower the saddle while riding at the flick of your thumb, anywhere from just a little (which can be helpful on flowy single track) to all the way down (great for steep descents and rollers, also for going over larger log-overs, so you don’t get the boys slammed by the saddle).

Once you’re back on smoother ground, hit the lever and the saddle pops right back up to the normal riding position.

If you’re just riding around the hood or on tame trails, a dropper post is overkill and unnecessary.
On more technical terrain, it can be a game changer.

I will get around to the trails just haven't had time. I haven't had to use the dropper yet. There are some place with in 30 minutes I plan on going.

“Adjustable” and “dropper” are 2 different things.

All seat posts are adjustable up & down (and rotationally too, but that’s more of a bug than a feature) -
so you can set the proper saddle height for a given rider.

That’s generally a one time thing, set it and forget it.

A dropper post allows you to lower the saddle while riding at the flick of your thumb, anywhere from just a little (which can be helpful on flowy single track) to all the way down (great for steep descents and rollers, also for going over larger log-overs, so you don’t get the boys slammed by the saddle).

Once you’re back on smoother ground, hit the lever and the saddle pops right back up to the normal riding position.

If you’re just riding around the hood or on tame trails, a dropper post is overkill and unnecessary.
On more technical terrain, it can be a game changer.

I had to search dropper post. Pretty cool. I used to just hang my ass behind my seat when going down something really steep. What can I say? I'm old.Modern technology #$%^***!

I had to post that I hit 44 lbs lost as of today (all during Covid) ... Goal is 50lbs to get back to college weight, I’m 38

Diet was IF with modified keto (more protein, less fat than keto suggests, also I basically ignore any carbs from veggies, but stay away from all starch/ legumes etc)

Exercise was mostly weights (modified powerlifting routine) Plus about 8 leisurely jogged miles a week (think 15 min miles)

Surprisingly my strength is 100% of where it was 5 months ago which was very surprising as I usually lose 10-20% of strength with previous diet methods

Last edited:
Skibum, did you basically do 16/8 for IF?

BTW, congrats. Did you drop 4" on pants waist?

Skibum, did you basically do 16/8 for IF?

BTW, congrats. Did you drop 4" on pants waist?
Thanks Mark!

No, I was a bit more aggressive than that haha. I did a rotation of 4 weeks 22/2 with 2 full calendar day fasts a week. Then roughly 2 weeks of 16/8 to “re-feed”. Then back on rotation. I am on the back end of my third “rotation”

yes I dropped 6” around my waist (measured at belly button) and went from a tight fitting 44 classic cut suit to a loose fitting 40 slim (not skinny) cut suit

Haha I think I cost myself A bunch of money in work clothes when I go back (I travel a lot and wear suits for work as you know)

I hit a wall right now...been as low as 198 but have been at 202-204 for several weeks due to slacking.

I got to get back to more IF (as I've slacked)... I'll change it up though.

Luckily I have my own treadmill and have been running 4 miles every other day.

I hit a wall right now...been as low as 198 but have been at 202-204 for several weeks due to slacking.

Been switching up my workouts and have a hard time getting going with lifting again. Running and riding my bike pretty regularly though.

I agree with this. I am now in uncharted territory weight-wise. Ie. haven't been at this weight since college and there is no doubt I have hit a wall. Getting harder and harder to shed pounds.

I've been slacking as well

Time to revive this thread.

I'm coming to the end of a 15-week workout routine my son and I have been doing to improve leaping ability. Oddly enough, it seems to be working for his nearly 17-year old legs than it is for my 51-yo pins. But, I can honestly say that I've gained at least a few inches on my vertical, which is pretty cool.

What I didn't really know when I started this nonsense, but that my Apple Watch told me, was that I was suffering from atrial fibrillation. Was messing around with the watch back in late March or so and tried out the ECG app. Told me I showed signs of aFib and if that result wasn't expected I should consult my doc, so I did figuring the doc would downplay the watch results. But, they got me in the very next day to get a full EKG, and it was confirmed.

I immediately went on blood thinners (Eliquis) to prevent a stroke from my blood not pumping correctly and clotting up in one of my heart chambers. Was on those for nearly 2 months before they finally opened the hospital back up so I could have a procedure to set my heart back to sinus rhythm. Called a cardioversion, it's basically a shock with a large rectangular patch on my chest and one on my back, and the charge flows from one to the other. Had that done May 21st, and it worked on the first try. I've been normal rhythm since that day, luckily.

In terms of athletic performance, when I was doing this workout routine, I'd see heart rates up to 205 when I was doing the really taxing stuff. Haven't seen anything above 157 since my procedure. I'm feeling a ton better as well.

The best part of this is that once I was able to get off the blood thinners, I was able to get back on my mountain bike. And thanks to excellent financial planning by my company prior to Covid, I recently received a nice bonus, so I rewarded myself with a new bike. Here she is.

s1600_2019_Pivot_Trail_429_Pro_XT_XTR_1X_29_with_Reynolds_wheels_upgrade_crimson.jpg

Super excited to be healthy again, and really happy to finally be on a top notch ride.
Had my last follow-up with my heart doc this afternoon. I've been given the full bill of health - BP and pulse are both great, ventricle size is continuing to shrink back to normal, and no signs of AFIB since the procedure.

And my bike is even better than I had hoped for.

The Ripley is 120/140 also, which back when I got it was Trail/All-Mountain/Enduro-lite.

Now it’s XC. :p

Pivot makes great bikes.
I demo’d some a few years ago, really liked them. Enjoy! :cool:
Thinking of getting back into biking. Had a Scwinn growing up I really liked it. What bikes do you guys recommend? Not crazy expensive.

What type of biking do you plan to do?
Just around the apartment and a couple local trails. Very much a beginner at this point. Haven't rode one since High School.

Just around the apartment and a couple local trails. Very much a beginner at this point. Haven't rode one since High School.
If the trails are tame...like no ruts but smooth, hard surface I love my Electra Townie stepover. I'm 6'4" and it fits me.

Had my last follow-up with my heart doc this afternoon. I've been given the full bill of health - BP and pulse are both great, ventricle size is continuing to shrink back to normal, and no signs of AFIB since the procedure.

And my bike is even better than I had hoped for.
That's awesome! Keep it up and stay safe in the saddle. Mountain biking in VT is no joke. I've got a few friends who have ventured over the handlebars into a mosh pit with gravity, velocity and trajectory.

On Bikes,
BL: spend another $2-400 over a cheap bike. The fit n finish and ridability is so much better. I've bought cheap bikes before only to waste my money as I donate them a year later.
They are now owned by Trek. They are USA designed. IIRC they are made in Taiwan.

We have found a place near our (Florida) community where we can walk/hike our dog off-leash, and we do that for about 1/2 hour every day in the morning. I also do either 60 laps swimming in my own relatively small pool or 20 laps in the large community pool, also every day. Finally, the pup gets some sort of an evening walk after dinner. I dont like to walk after I eat, so i often ride the bike while my wife walks the pup. All in all my activity level hasnt changed one way or the other because of COVID.

That's awesome! Keep it up and stay safe in the saddle. Mountain biking in VT is no joke. I've got a few friends who have ventured over the handlebars into a mosh pit with gravity, velocity and trajectory.
Literally went over my bars today. Bruised my right thigh, right shin, scratched up my left shoulder, right elbow, and left ankle. So yeah, it was a roller. But the bike emerged unscathed.

Double red diamond trail called Visceral at Cochran's Ski Area. I took the A line and didn't do it well.

Literally went over my bars today. Bruised my right thigh, right shin, scratched up my left shoulder, right elbow, and left ankle. So yeah, it was a roller. But the bike emerged unscathed.

Double red diamond trail called Visceral at Cochran's Ski Area. I took the A line and didn't do it well.
Crazy...sounds like you dodged a bullet. When you hit 50-52...a switch will probably flip and you'll avoid rough trails going forward