Homecoming 2019 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Homecoming 2019

so did the school move it because it conflicted with Rosh Hashanah or because they worried about a sell out for Clemson? If it's the latter I think the decision is short sighted as the game is going to sell out - alums or not. In fact Clemson fans were reserving at local hotels the minute the schedule was announced and in a way SU hurt the returning alums by 1) screwing up the dates in the first place and 2) now having anyone come back for a weekend that the average hotel rate will be about 3 times the regular price. It all worked out for LSU and will here as well, but I think we might be crediting the foresight and vision of the school more than is actually deserved.
They had to change the weekend.

Last edited:
so did the school move it because it conflicted with Rosh Hashanah or because they worried about a sell out for Clemson? If it's the latter I think the decision is short sighted as the game is going to sell out - alums or not. In fact Clemson fans were reserving at local hotels the minute the schedule was announced and in a way SU hurt the returning alums by 1) screwing up the dates in the first place and 2) now having anyone come back for a weekend that the average hotel rate will be about 3 times the regular price. It all worked out for LSU and will here as well, but I think we might be crediting the foresight and vision of the school more than is actually deserved.
Hotels rates are the same as when I booked over the summer. Check the rates for every weekend. They all go up for potential football traffic. There are plenty of rooms available for that weekend. I just looked at all of the Marriott options. The Sheraton is the only place not available. But it could open up at a later time, like it did last year. But even their rate last week, after the Clemson game was announced was the same as it was in August to book that weekend.

And now you all know why I said I am not selling my Clemson tickets and will be at the game. I've known about this.Once a decision was made to change the original date, the University would have had to go into November, or back up a week or two for another home game weekend. I guess they could have done W. Michigan, but I am thinking the appeal for Clemson then became too much to pass over. We have been wondering if we could get College Game Day for this game. Now SU can pretty much guarantee a full or sold out dome, and plenty of fans to appear on the morning show. I think it is a win win situation, and SU made a smart marketing move to help get College Game Day and to show SU to the maximum potential. Think of all the recruits who will be watching. This is the optic that will work for us. Not a slightly fuller dome for a non National televised game against W. Michigan or Holy Cross. The Pitt game is already parent's weekend, and that could not be changed for a number of reasons. Got my seasons to use, and my hotel is booked, and I will be in the weekend before to take full advantage of seeing 2 games while in from AZ!!
Thank you for this explanation. Makes a lot of sense.

That weekend is going to be epic!

I hate that we are still 8 months out from this game...

Let’s hurry it up, take care of Liberty and Maryland!!

This is going to be one hell of a party. Can’t wait for the first home Fine Lot Mess tailgate!

Let’s keep our fingers crossed that the West lots are still open then. Guess we’ll know soon.

Beat Clemson, have an unbelievable gameday atmosphere, rebuild the donor base and inspire potential mega’s.

I was really excited even before I read all of the above post. Just to let everyone know I'm picking Syracuse to win this game. If College Game Day does come for this game, I'm going to have signs made before and during the game. Winner of this game is the favorite to go to the ACC Championship game. Man oh Man I just can't wait for this game to happen.

Hotels rates are the same as when I booked over the summer. Check the rates for every weekend. They all go up for potential football traffic. There are plenty of rooms available for that weekend. I just looked at all of the Marriott options. The Sheraton is the only place not available. But it could open up at a later time, like it did last year. But even their rate last week, after the Clemson game was announced was the same as it was in August to book that weekend.

I grabbed a room at the Genessee Grand yesterday - closest available. Would normally be fine staying farther away but figured easier being close given potential crowd for this game.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed that the West lots are still open then. Guess we’ll know soon.

Yeah and if not hopefully something else can come together and if not I’ll find my way up to Manley and do some pregaming up there.

Reactions: FAL
Some hotels may not have adjusted their prices for the change in Homecoming. I booked at the Carrier Circle Ramada since they have a restaurant, bar, and indoor pool. Most decent hotels will jack up their prices for Homecoming and for Family Weekend and require a two-night stay.

It’s okay tigernet is all in an uproar about us having that as our homecoming game...also found this nice little nugget they posted...

When I was in Tiger Band, we would stand on the sidelines before halftime to prep for our show.

Standing on the Syracuse sideline each year we played them, I literally heard their coaches instruct their players to capitalize on opportunities to injure our star players, also heard coaches instruct Syracuse defensive backs to fake injuries to slow our offense.

Cuse is a dirty team. I hope this proves to be a mistake on their part and we burn the Dome to the ground as a homecoming present.

It’s okay tigernet is all in an uproar about us having that as our homecoming game...also found this nice little nugget they posted...

When I was in Tiger Band, we would stand on the sidelines before halftime to prep for our show.

Standing on the Syracuse sideline each year we played them, I literally heard their coaches instruct their players to capitalize on opportunities to injure our star players, also heard coaches instruct Syracuse defensive backs to fake injuries to slow our offense.

Cuse is a dirty team. I hope this proves to be a mistake on their part and we burn the Dome to the ground as a homecoming present.

Maybe the last guy, not the current guy.

Maybe the last guy, not the current guy.
I could believe the part about faking injuries. No one likes to lose by over 100 points. I don't remember Syracuse players faking injuries to stop their offense (though I do remember the Clemson offense injuring a number of our under sized, not ready for prime time defenders). They didn't do it on purpose or by dirty play; it just something that happens when you have men playing against boys.

There is however no way our coaches ever instructed players to injure Clemson's star players. That would never happen, not with Shafer's staff, and no coach, even on a disreputable staff, would ever give instructions like that in front of the opposing team's band.

I could see Shafer doing that tbf. Felt like that when we played MTSU.

On another note i'm absolutely terrified of the Maryland game. Talk about a trap game.

I could believe the part about faking injuries. No one likes to lose by over 100 points. I don't remember Syracuse players faking injuries to stop their offense (though I do remember the Clemson offense injuring a number of our under sized, not ready for prime time defenders). They didn't do it on purpose or by dirty play; it just something that happens when you have men playing against boys.

There is however no way our coaches ever instructed players to injure Clemson's star players. That would never happen, not with Shafer's staff, and no coach, even on a disreputable staff, would ever give instructions like that in front of the opposing team's band.

I remember Cuse playing them in Clemson in a night game and us having multiple guys down and their fans taking exception. SS was / is not better than anyone else.

Anyway, not a problem with Dino.

They had to change the weekend.

Is there a reason why? Some transparency into the thought process would be helpful.

Re: hotel rates. The price to get a room has certainly gone up compared to basketball weekend. Was looking at a hotel by the Inner Harbor and it's roughly $400 for a 2 night stay. Probably going to stay at the hotel I have booked for the Duke game or AirBNB it.

There is a new Tru by Hilton hotel in Township 5 next to Costco in Camillus. Rooms available for $130 and less for Hilton Honors members.

“Live it up at Tru by Hilton Syracuse-Camillus. Set amid food, shops and fun at Township 5, our hotel is only minutes from the New York State Fairgrounds and Syracuse University. Our efficient rooms will wow with free WiFi and a 55-inch TV with 150 channels. Say yay to mornings at the free 'Top It' breakfast bar offering 30 sweet and savory choices for yogurt, oatmeal and more. There's also plenty of drinks, gourmet snacks and single-serve beer and wine in our 24/7 market.”

Tru by Hilton Syracuse-Camillus, New York Hotel

There is a new Tru by Hilton hotel in Township 5 next to Costco in Camillus. Rooms available for $130 and less for Hilton Honors members.

“Live it up at Tru by Hilton Syracuse-Camillus. Set amid food, shops and fun at Township 5, our hotel is only minutes from the New York State Fairgrounds and Syracuse University. Our efficient rooms will wow with free WiFi and a 55-inch TV with 150 channels. Say yay to mornings at the free 'Top It' breakfast bar offering 30 sweet and savory choices for yogurt, oatmeal and more. There's also plenty of drinks, gourmet snacks and single-serve beer and wine in our 24/7 market.”

Tru by Hilton Syracuse-Camillus, New York Hotel
My friend is temporarily in the apartments connected to that center. A couple of nice eating choices right there. Red Robin bottomless root beer floats!! Took me no more than 10 minutes from the Sheraton when I visited them in October. Not even 10

Is there a reason why? Some transparency into the thought process would be helpful.

Re: hotel rates. The price to get a room has certainly gone up compared to basketball weekend. Was looking at a hotel by the Inner Harbor and it's roughly $400 for a 2 night stay. Probably going to stay at the hotel I have booked for the Duke game or AirBNB it.
I'll get flamed for this but IMHO the school didn't catch that the initial date conflicted with Rosh Hashanah and then spun this to the new date, Gameday, full Dome etc. I'm sure there are other theories and reasons but dealing with the hIll and the silos up there - crazier oversights happen.

My friend is temporarily in the apartments connected to that center. A couple of nice eating choices right there. Red Robin bottomless root beer floats!! Took me no more than 10 minutes from the Sheraton when I visited them in October. Not even 10

The Brasserie In that plaza is great!

It is going to be like the 90s, bringing my 3 kids (29, 26, and 18) My daughter remembers a nearly full dome nut the other 2 do not.. Wonder if there going to dial up the Alan Parsons Project on third down. :)

It is going to be like the 90s, bringing my 3 kids (29, 26, and 18) My daughter remembers a nearly full dome nut the other 2 do not.. Wonder if there going to dial up the Alan Parsons Project on third down. :)
It'll be my kids first game and our first as season ticket holders! Hopefully give them a memory of a lifetime...

Mid September; could still be quite warm outside; 45,000+ in the Dome if not sold out. Bring the lava rocks and some water. Back in 1980, first game ever in The Dome, there was a slight cloud/haze/fog in the Dome that evening. Wonder if they will the the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom