Honestly, what a -ing brutal 10 years of football? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Honestly, what a -ing brutal 10 years of football?

This is why I say it's not enough to have a winner, we need style.

When that starts happening you aren't worried about your coach and his Xs and Os. You are worried about him losing his common sense.

Exactly. It took my wife's comment to make me realize how complacent I'd become watching life-sucking risk averse football. It reminds me of Ferris Bueller's analogy for his best friend Cameron - "Cameron is so uptight, if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in 2 weeks, you'd have a diamond."

If I had the opportunity to tell Marrone anything I'd remind him that it's still just a game. Stop w/ the insane pressure you're putting on yourself (that's forcing you to be ultra conservative on gameday). Be more Ferris, less Cameron!

Exactly. It took my wife's comment to make me realize how complacent I'd become watching life-sucking risk averse football. It reminds me of Ferris Bueller's analogy for his best friend Cameron - "Cameron is so uptight, if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in 2 weeks, you'd have a diamond."

If I had the opportunity to tell Marrone anything I'd remind him that it's still just a game. Stop w/ the insane pressure you're putting on yourself (that's forcing you to be ultra conservative on gameday). Be more Ferris, less Cameron!

playing for manageable 3rd downs and manageable field goals

My undergraduate experience from 2003-2006 saw awful football, and then I went to BC Law 2006-2008 and was there for 2 Matt Ryan years, now both of my alma maters suck even though I am only a SU fan. Cuse needs to pay for a good young coach let him use us for 3-4 years build us back to respectability springboard us to a better job and then hire a Doug Marrone type coach to keep the ship sailing. I don't know who the young coach is but they need to be able to recruit and improve the teams fundamentals.

I dont know why people get all upset with a coach using us as a stepping stone. If he does, it means that he has done a great job here and presumably leaving us in a good place. When you have a good place, its easier to find someone to come here and replace said guy that just left.

Mack Brown is having another awful season. He was supposed to be a savior. Watch how fast Texas boots him and he won a BCS NC in 2005!!!

I dont know why people get all upset with a coach using us as a stepping stone. If he does, it means that he has done a great job here and presumably leaving us in a good place. When you have a good place, its easier to find someone to come here and replace said guy that just left.

Mack Brown is having another awful season. He was supposed to be a savior. Watch how fast Texas boots him and he won a BCS NC in 2005!!!

Auburn will can Chizik at the end of the year! two seasons removed from a national championship. Chizik is case in point about talent versus coaching... Give me a Cam Newton and 5 NFL defensive players, I will win a national championship

Auburn will can Chizik at the end of the year! two seasons removed from a national championship. Chizik is case in point about talent versus coaching... Give me a Cam Newton and 5 NFL defensive players, I will win a national championship

Agreed. In the thread titled, "missing ingredient" i thought the first post was going to be...

Gino Smith
RGIII
Cam Newton
DMcNabb

That is what we need. One of those guys and a 4 or 5 2nd/3rd day draftees on Defense, and we win 8+ games

Agreed. In the thread titled, "missing ingredient" i thought the first post was going to be...

Gino Smith
RGIII
Cam Newton
DMcNabb

That is what we need. One of those guys and a 4 or 5 2nd/3rd day draftees on Defense, and we win 8+ games

RG3 was incredible last year, very glad he won the heisman

Auburn will can Chizik at the end of the year! two seasons removed from a national championship. Chizik is case in point about talent versus coaching... pay for a Cam Newton and 5 NFL defensive players, I will win a national championship

Fixed it and he was horrible at Iowa State as well.

Running the ball on 3rd and 12 from the Rutgers 20 in a tie game with 11 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter may prove to be that moment for me with Marrone.

The first and goal at the 2 series was a more defining moment for me than the 3rd and 12 call. If we didn't go tank at all, I would actually think that was better than trotting them out there on 3rd and 2. Looked like a staff that couldn't figure out what they wanted to do.

I'm really glad IB started this thread.

Northwestern hurt.
Minnesota really hurt.
Rutgers killed me.

This whole season has broken my heart. Over the past 10 years, there have been several times that I've truly believed we've turned the corner. Which has made it all even more painful.

The reality is that we have not turned the corner. We are 2-4 and I don't see more than 2 or 3 wins left on the schedule. Another losing season. No bowl. That can't be good for recruiting. And no extra practices.

I'm at a loss. I'm not sure if I can do it anymore. I might need to check out until next year. It's been a long, painful decade. Can anyone bring me in off the ledge?

I'm really glad IB started this thread.

Northwestern hurt.
Minnesota really hurt.
Rutgers killed me.

This whole season has broken my heart. Over the past 10 years, there have been several times that I've truly believed we've turned the corner. Which has made it all even more painful.

The reality is that we have not turned the corner. We are 2-4 and I don't see more than 2 or 3 wins left on the schedule. Another losing season. No bowl. That can't be good for recruiting. And no extra practices.

I'm at a loss. I'm not sure if I can do it anymore. I might need to check out until next year. It's been a long, painful decade. Can anyone bring me in off the ledge?

You are not alone. Cutting off SU FB is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. We have trained counselers ready to help you........

bridgejump.jpg

We played a game at Cincy in 2006 where GRob totally mangled a late first half series. That was the moment when I realized without question he was not the man for the job.

Running the ball on 3rd and 12 from the Rutgers 20 in a tie game with 11 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter may prove to be that moment for me with Marrone.

To top it off...the run put the ball on the left hash (the toughest kick) ...why didn't he run it to the middle if you were going to run? Crap a Spence bubble screen would've been a better call. Yowza.

I think a new OC and ST coordinator is needed...Doug needs to be the CEO.

To top it off...the run put the ball on the left hash (the toughest kick) ...why didn't he run it to the middle if you were going to run? Crap a Spence bubble screen would've been a better call. Yowza.

I think a new OC and ST coordinator is needed...Doug needs to be the CEO.

I don't really get those calling for him to just be some kind of CEO, though. First off, what program operates that way, aside from those that have had 70 and 80 year old coaches acting as figureheads?

Also, what has he done to warrant this belief in his CEO abilities? Are we bringing in 4 and 5 star recruits? Are we raking in booster money? Has he built an impeccable staff?

I really don't get it.

I don't really get those calling for him to just be some kind of CEO, though. First off, what program operates that way, aside from those that have had 70 and 80 year old coaches acting as figureheads?

Also, what has he done to warrant this belief in his CEO abilities? Are we bringing in 4 and 5 star recruits? Are we raking in booster money? Has he built an impeccable staff?

I really don't get it.

I think he needs to manage the team from the macro level on gameday and let his assistants run the show. He should have right to change play calls though. He also doesn't need to be a friggin position coach (special teams)...if he wants to get his hands dirty...let him waltz over and visit the OL occasionally. TGD needs to buck up some more $$$ and allow Doug to hire a new but proven ST to be on the staff.

I really don't get it.
someone actually cited Paterno as proof that it works.

I live in Miami, taking my wife to the USF, she did not want to go this year because they have been so bad. I said this year is going to be differnt, we will be really good. After Saturday she said we are really going to drive 5 hours, stay in a hotel to watch them loose. I told her I would make mad passionent love to her ion the hotel, she laughed at me again. I am loosing respect in my home because of this team. I just threw out an old SU tee shirt because I think I may have purchased it when the slide began. It may have been the tee shirt all along.

I really don't get it.

When Beemer's job was on the line he got out of the way. He has had a pretty successful career leaving things to his OCs and Foster. We want continuity at HC and the program to be run a certain way. Marrone fits both of those. However he fails with the FB stuff. So we can either try and be Cincy where we hire good HCs every 5 years and get it right every time (hard to do), or we keep Marrone and get good OCs every time (easier to do) and lock up Shafer. So it would be the Beemer/Foster model.

The question like you said is whether Marrone is a good CEO to make it work.

We want continuity at HC and the program to be run a certain way. Marrone fits both of those. However he fails with the FB stuff.
Syracuse Football - where the football coach fails at the football stuff.

Comin' atcha!

I think he needs to manage the team from the macro level on gameday and let his assistants run the show. He should have right to change play calls though. He also doesn't need to be a friggin position coach (special teams)...if he wants to get his hands dirty...let him waltz over and visit the OL occasionally. TGD needs to buck up some more $$$ and allow Doug to hire a new but proven ST to be on the staff.

How are the first things you listed not happening now? He's clearly letting his coordinators run their respective shows, and he's occasionally overruling them.

I'm in total agreement re: him being ST coach, but getting out of that is a far cry from being a "CEO".

When Beemer's job was on the line he got out of the way. He has had a pretty successful career leaving things to his OCs and Foster. We want continuity at HC and the program to be run a certain way. Marrone fits both of those. However he fails with the FB stuff. So we can either try and be Cincy where we hire good HCs every 5 years and get it right every time (hard to do), or we keep Marrone and get good OCs every time (easier to do) and lock up Shafer. So it would be the Beemer/Foster model.

The question like you said is whether Marrone is a good CEO to make it work.

Let's be honest, Beamer found success because he started recruiting his ass off, largely on the back of some, shall we say, morally questionable kids. If Marrone was killing it on the recruiting trail that'd be one thing, but while everyone was going gaga over how much more "athletic" we look, we're still pulling in a bunch of 3-star talent. That's fine, but it's not worthy of making a 50 year old guy a Bowden-esque CEO.

The first and goal at the 2 series was a more defining moment for me than the 3rd and 12 call. If we didn't go tank at all, I would actually think that was better than trotting them out there on 3rd and 2. Looked like a staff that couldn't figure out what they wanted to do.

That series said a lot for me too. It did give the impression, certainly the perception, of being completely unsure of themselves...

Let's be honest, Beamer found success because he started recruiting his ass off, largely on the back of some, shall we say, morally questionable kids. If Marrone was killing it on the recruiting trail that'd be one thing, but while everyone was going gaga over how much more "athletic" we look, we're still pulling in a bunch of 3-star talent. That's fine, but it's not worthy of making a 50 year old guy a Bowden-esque CEO.

He had a 2 W season one year and a 9 W the year after largely due to making changes in staff. Here is a good article recapping what happened. Marrone needs to recruit better no doubt. But if he were to stay he needs to get a real OC.