Hooville Postgame thoughts... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hooville Postgame thoughts...

No leadership on this team. Disappointed in Judah’s ability to affect a game when he’s not scoring.

Burn the tape and win the next 4 non conference games. Trying to be hopeful because UVA owns us but certainly not looking good at the moment.

Too much dribbling. Not enough, average, shooters. Playing a team that aggressively challenges pick and roll, and forces the dribbler away from the basket and to another defender. Yeah...this is the outcome.
After seeing our passing not sure more dribbling is a bad thing

JJ Starling is Louis McCrosky but worse on the defensive end.

Benny doesn’t belong on the court.

Copeland would be excellent playing at the Rucker but not in organized basketball.

McLeod is the same guy who barely played for a 9 win team last year.

If the players are going to be blamed for not executing Red’s plan then Red needs to sit them immediately, if these guys are executing his plan then he needs to change things up immediately. He needs to realize that his job is going to ultimately depend on this group of sophomores, after last season and through this one thus far I wouldn’t bet on them.

Horrific basketball game made worse by the fact that we got off to such a good start in the first 10 minutes.
-two plays stick out that kill me the most. First is was in the second half when Virginia missed three layups on the offensive glass and we didn’t even bother to try to get a rebound. Second was the three on one when JJ decided he wanted to get his and ignored two teammates who could’ve dunked.
-honestly our second half effort was disgraceful. We gave up so many open shots. It was like the team decided that they were going to lose after playing a good 10 minutes in the first half and then being outplayed before halftime.
-our guards were atrocious. so many of the things we did well against LSU were lacking. Nobody made plays to get each other open after the first 10 minutes of the game.
-I give Maliq credit. He played hard the entire game like he always does. Really was our only bright spot.
-just disappointing. We have to hope like hell that we don’t suck as much as it looks like we did today. Because if we do it is going to be a miserable winter.

Last edited:
The sad thing is I was actually looking forward to this game. My fault for thinking we actually could and should have competed.

I knew after seeing highlights of the A&M game, that Bennett had his team clicking.

I was expecting a loss tbh... And fearing doors blown off.

When the game doesn't come easy, we often times mail it in (Colgate excluded.)

Some alarming red flags with Red right now. Need to see some improvement as we go through the season

The fact we're still playing zone OOB for example. It's giving up open shots every time. EVERY TIME. End it.

The rotation still is shaky. Guys come in and out without much thinking of the actual lineup on the floor. Not great.

As far as the players, the sooner they realize they arent as good as they think they are, the better. Effort just isnt up to par to win games against better teams.

Need to sweep the Non Conf now if we want to be serious about being good this year.

The larger issue remains a lack of identity with this team on both sides of the ball. While the roster may just not be there this year, and that's okay, it's hard to say what this team is really trying to do, and that is highly concerning.
theyre "identity fluid"

trying out what works for them until they find something that fits

and that's okay

No leadership on this team. Disappointed in Judah’s ability to affect a game when he’s not scoring.

Burn the tape and win the next 4 non conference games. Trying to be hopeful because UVA owns us but certainly not looking good at the moment.
How many times can you burn the tape? We get boatraced by any decent to great team and underperformed against bad teams except against LSU and a D2 team. Is there any usable footage?

Some alarming red flags with Red right now. Need to see some improvement as we go through the season

The fact we're still playing zone OOB for example. It's giving up open shots every time. EVERY TIME. End it.

The rotation still is shaky. Guys come in and out without much thinking of the actual lineup on the floor. Not great.

As far as the players, the sooner they realize they arent as good as they think they are, the better. Effort just isnt up to par to win games against better teams.

Need to sweep the Non Conf now if we want to be serious about being good this year.
hhaha...

is it Red?

Or is it Red Flags?

Not having a leader is a killer
Agreed. We lack a guy who can calm the team down and get us some easy buckets. I don’t see it with Judah. Too many me first guys who shut down and complain when they aren’t scoring. I’ve said this in every game thread that we complain about fouls while the other team is running past us for layups.

I thought they played well for the first 15 minutes. Good movement on offense, best defense yet, in my opinion. But as they started to miss shots, they lost intensity on defense and suddenly a 3 to 5 point game quickly went to 15 points at the half.

In the second half, we started OK, but lacked the movement of early in the game. Judah and JJ kept driving, Taylor and Bell couldn't buy a three, although I will give them both respect for going inside the arc a few times. Then they hit us with that 13 point streak about 5 minutes into the half and it was 15 minutes of literal garbage time.

The only guys who played well were Starling, Copeland and Maliq Brown. Judah didn't really get it going. Naheem was bad offensively early, but did make a few good plays off and on.

Too much one-on-one in the 2nd half, but in the first 15 minutes or so, I thought we looked awfully good.

Hopefully Red can turnover the roster come year end. Way to many non P5 players on this team right now. Freeman and choppa will help but they are young and there will be a learning curve. Really hope we didn't swing and miss on Westry, need him to be decent

I think it's hard to say for certain until we see who would take the job if we did a real coaching search.

Not that I'm out on Red. Yet.
The schools that pay the most money for talent will win. I hear on this board that the school is competitive with NIL, but it will never be a top NIL destination and therefore will not be a top program in the future. And we’re washing away our history.

And, by the way, when people say things like NIL deals for Jesse, or Bethea, or Dickinson are wild and messing up the market — that is the market now. That is what it cost to be a top program, whether we find it absurd or not. Can’t just keep expressing shock at deals and shrug it off like that isn’t the market.

theyre "identity fluid"

trying out what works for them until they find something that fits

and that's okay
I'd argue that's the opposite of what you're trying to do as a new coach. Establishing a program identity matters, just look at UVA.

Georgetown will be a rock fight. Fear Judah and Benny will be in self mode. Well coached team will exploit us.

Syracuse can't shoot and simply doesn't have the offensive fire power to compete with a better team like Virginia. There is NOT a single player on SU's roster - other than maybe Mintz - who would start at UVA.

At the end of the day, you need the horses to win - and outside of Judah, SU doesn't have many horses on this year's roster. Hopefully when Westry gets back, he can elevate the talent level on the team but right now, imho, Red just doesn't have many highly skilled players to work with. I'm not sure John Wooden could win much with this talent deficient roster.

This team really needs Freeman, Moore and hopefully some serious portal talent added to the roster next year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom