Hop | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hop

Perhaps Oregon is such a mediocre job that they won't be able to insert language denying Hop from eventually leaving for SU?

If it was the Oregon job I would say go ahead MH and leave as Phil Knight U has the resources to win and win big. However, Oregon State is a terrible job. Its only pluses are its in a P5 league, but they haven't won and good luck getting kids to play their when the fanbase doesn't even support the basketball program that much. Oregon State has had some football success by going after JUCOs/developing CA under-recruited players, but the basketball program since Gary Payton has been a mess.

If Hopkins takes this job he should have gone all in for Boston College. I doubt any program won't put a buyout restricting him from going to SU. BC has potential to be decent but Oregon State if MH made the tournament would be unbelievable. I doubt he would make the tournament in 4 years.

Gary Parrish‏@GaryParrishCBS 1m
Hearing the same. RT @johncanzanobft: Wayne Tinkle will be announced as the men's basketball coach at Oregon State on Monday.

So it's starting to leak that its Tinkle.
Tinkle would be a natural to coach at Peay.

th

Hops name coming up in all of these coaching searches, and then not being named a coach cant be good for his rep. Being serious here.

Hops name coming up in all of these coaching searches, and then not being named a coach cant be good for his rep. Being serious here.
There are probably a million reasons and number one is probably that he has been hand picked to be the next coach at Syracuse.

cliftonparksufan said:
There are probably a million reasons and number one is probably that he has been hand picked to be the next coach at Syracuse.

Oregon State wanted a standing head coach.

Hop will get another opportunity next year, and he may finally land a job. But If that happens, doubt we ever see him back at SU.

If he really wants the SU job, he's going to to have to continue to remain patient.

Choose Tinkle? Shows why Oregon State is a LOSER program. That is a terrible situation for Hop ...but IMO it clearly shows he wants out of SU, he's tired of waiting, JB is not leaving any time soon...and he's getting less selective about a destination.

Threads like this are so silly and speculative. How do people know that Mike was interested in any of these jobs? How do you know that his name was not just thrown out there... despite his lack of interest? These stories are beginning to remind me of that line from Casablanca: i.e., "Round up the usual suspects." It is like... "Wow, there's a coaching vacancy; who would be a likely candidate?"

Trust me, there was never an iota of possibility that Mike was interested in most of the jobs for which he was allegedly not selected. USC, yes. Others, no.

Last edited:
cto said:
Threads like this are so silly and speculative. How do people know that Mike was interested in any of these jobs? How do you know that his name was not just thrown out there... despite his lack of interest? These stories are beginning to remind me of that line from Casablanca: i.e., "Round up the usual suspects." It is like... "Wow, there's a coaching vacancy; who would be a likely candidate?" Trust me, there was never an iota of possibility that Mike was interested in most of the jobs for which he was allegedly not selected. USC, yes. The rest, no.

He did interview for the BC and Oregon State jobs, though.

Would he have turned down the jobs if he was offered?

I would have to think that they would have to make him an offer he couldn't refuse. He's making pretty good coin in Syracuse plus the ties that he and his wife have. It would have to be a pretty good package.

It's really upsetting hearing these rumors every time a coaching vacancy opens... I realize that there will always be quality applicants for the Syracuse University men's basketball head coaching position, but I would hate to lose Hop this late in the game, especially with so many recruits potentially reconsidering their commitment should Hop leave.
Honestly, while I respect JB, I want to hear "the King is dead, long live the King!"
But hey, why would JB walk away now? He has Hop to do the heavy lifting, keeps racking up wins for the record books, as well as many other reasons... Namely 2.1 million of them...

I am not going to speak for Mike (maybe I've already said too much). I was just getting annoyed by these constant posts that say he was not selected for jobs that he might have wanted.

When I was at GE, i was recruited for several non-GE jobs, and I actually went on four or five interviews ---- but I had zero interest in changing jobs. I did the interviews out of curiosity and for the learning experience.

That is how the world works, folks.

Last edited:
cliftonparksufan said:
I would have to think that they would have to make him an offer he couldn't refuse. He's making pretty good coin in Syracuse plus the ties that he and his wife have. It would have to be a pretty good package.

Big question is are any these schools willing to give him an out that would allow him to return to SU?

I doubt it.

That's why I think he's gone for good if he ever leaves.

There was an interview with Hop in the last month. I'm too tired to dig for it but Hop said that he'd listen to anyone but went on to say that he loved Syracuse, the program, etc. etc.

cto said:
I am not going to speak for Mike (maybe I've already said too much). I was just getting annoyed by these constant posts that say he was not selected for jobs that he might have wanted.

When I was at GE, i was recruited for several non-GE jobs, and I actually went on four or five interviews ---- but I had zero interest in changing jobs. I did the interviews out of curiosity and for the learning experience. That is how the world works, folks.

Hop is obviously well thought of.

I'm not sure why he was passed over for the BC job.

Maybe for the same reason he was passed over for the Oregon State job.

He's not a head coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hop is obviously well thought of.

I'm not sure why he was passed over for the BC job.

Maybe for the same reason he was passed over for the Oregon State job.

He's not a head coach.
You are not listening to what I am trying to say. He was not "passed over" for those jobs. Why are people here so determined to try to make him sound like "damaged goods?"

cuseguy said:

Interviewing for jobs is not a bad thing.

If you are someone who wants to better yourself, and happy where you are, going on an interview at the frequency Mike had is what you should do. You can only get better as a professional, and in most cases know how good you have it.

You are not listening to what I am trying to say. He was not "passed over" for those jobs. Why are people here so determined to try to make him sound like "damaged goods?"
It's part of Cuseguys charm...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom