Hop | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hop

I am not going to speak for Mike (maybe I've already said too much). I was just getting annoyed by these constant posts that say he was not selected for jobs that he might have wanted.

When I was at GE, i was recruited for several non-GE jobs, and I actually went on four or five interviews ---- but I had zero interest in changing jobs. I did the interviews out of curiosity and for the learning experience.

That is how the world works, folks.
Plus you never know...maybe one of those interviews is for a million bucks at a better company...who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
cto said:
You are not listening to what I am trying to say. He was not "passed over" for those jobs. Why are people here so determined to try to make him sound like "damaged goods?"

Never said he was damaged goods.

He didn't get the job.

Doesn't make him a lousy coach. He's obviously well respected.

Did he tell them he was just interviewing but had no interest in the job? If not, he was passed over.

AZOrange said:
It's part of Cuseguys charm...

Ok, what did I say wrong?

He didn't get the job.

You can PC it anyway you want to, but he was passed over.

He didn't get the job.

Do you think it is in the realm of possibility that after the interview Hop told them he wasn't interested?

You are not listening to what I am trying to say. He was not "passed over" for those jobs. Why are people here so determined to try to make him sound like "damaged goods?"

You sure about that? Boosters at BC I know were not happy he was passed over by Brad Bates. I'm not sure he would go to Boston over a weekend for the learning experience. You can get that over the phone. He wanted that job is my suspicion and something made Brad pause. Prob a buyout for the Syracuse job maybe?

Elimu- heard the same from someone I know with close BC ties. Said Bates got to the end with Hop and for whatever reason he went instead with Christian. They made it seem as though Hop was ready to take the job if his conditions were met.

I don't see why discussing him is making him sound like damaged goods, or that he somehow isn't loyal to SU. Listening to job offers which would qualify as a promotion is something that anyone should be doing.

He didn't get the job.

As CTO said clearly...how do you know that? There are dozens of things that factor into the fulfillment of a job opening. Including the willingness of the applicant to take the job. If an applicant turns it down or makes demand that the employer does not want to meet, that isn't the same as being passed over.

Hop is ready to be a head coach...this will piss off some folks but I think Jim needs to coach one more year and retire on top. Then work the Olympic team by going around and observing great programs and NBA teams. Do the Olympic thing and become a TV expert.

realorange said:
Do you think it is in the realm of possibility that after the interview Hop told them he wasn't interested?

Definitely.

But OSU said they wanted a standing head coach.

Of course, that could be a lie to save face.

AZOrange said:
As CTO said clearly...how do you know that? There are dozens of things that factor into the fulfillment of a job opening. Including the willingness of the applicant to take the job. If an applicant turns it down or makes demand that the employer does not want to meet, that isn't the same as being passed over.

OSU said it wanted a standing head coach.

May not be the truth. Who knows.

Hop is ready to be a head coach...this will piss off some folks but I think Jim needs to coach one more year and retire on top. Then work the Olympic team by going around and observing great programs and NBA teams. Do the Olympic thing and become a TV expert.
I think we've got him for 2. Just don't see him stopping so close to 1000 wins.

You sure about that? Boosters at BC I know were not happy he was passed over by Brad Bates. I'm not sure he would go to Boston over a weekend for the learning experience. You can get that over the phone. He wanted that job is my suspicion and something made Brad pause. Prob a buyout for the Syracuse job maybe?

You 100% go to Boston for a learning experience.

In all this, there is something everyone is missing for why you take any interview and do it in person: networking. AD's don't stay at the same school as often as people think, so if you interview with an AD and impress him, you may be a candidate for another job elsewhere that you are actually interested in down the road.

So many people here apparently have never interviewed for a job they aren't interested in (let alone for a company/school flying you up and paying for your stay)...

I think we've got him for 2. Just don't see him stopping so close to 1000 wins.
I've heard the 1000 win statement many times. I think it is far more important to some members of this board than it is to JB.

I am not going to speak for Mike (maybe I've already said too much). I was just getting annoyed by these constant posts that say he was not selected for jobs that he might have wanted.

When I was at GE, i was recruited for several non-GE jobs, and I actually went on four or five interviews ---- but I had zero interest in changing jobs. I did the interviews out of curiosity and for the learning experience.

That is how the world works, folks.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

As previously stated, we'd better get used to this.
Regardless of whether he's seriously interested in any particular job, Mike Hopkins' name is going to come up in connection with most coaching openings.
Teams would be foolish not to consider him.
Sooner or later, the right job is going to come up at the right time for him...be that at Syracuse or elsewhere.

I've heard the 1000 win statement many times. I think it is far more important to some members of this board than it is to JB.

That's comical, wins is the most important stat and what coaches are judged on. Obviously he isn't going to come out and say it matters but it's delusional to think Jb doesn't want to get to 1000 wins.

Hops name coming up in all of these coaching searches, and then not being named a coach cant be good for his rep. Being serious here.

He hired an agent a year ago. An agent gets paid when you sign a new contract. I'm thinking Hop wants out in the next couple years. I don't think he's going to wait until JB feels like hanging them up.

Threads like this are so silly and speculative. How do people know that Mike was interested in any of these jobs? How do you know that his name was not just thrown out there... despite his lack of interest? These stories are beginning to remind me of that line from Casablanca: i.e., "Round up the usual suspects." It is like... "Wow, there's a coaching vacancy; who would be a likely candidate?"

Trust me, there was never an iota of possibility that Mike was interested in most of the jobs for which he was allegedly not selected. USC, yes. Others, no.

Well, he did go interview for the Oregon State job according to published reports. That's more than just speculation.

Tinkle leaked as next to take top position over Beavers. Immediately gets endorsement from former Beaver Dick Trickle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom