Hope Scott Shafer lands in a good spot. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hope Scott Shafer lands in a good spot.

Calling everyone meatheads while giving a meathead comment is something
I'm a meathead. Always have been. Because that's what it takes to win football games in the NE. WE tried the WCO, we tried Orange in the new fast, they both sucked to be honest. We win when we are meatheads, we win when we control the ball, when we play stifling defense, when guys like Pugh and Tiller and punching open holes for guys like Jerome Smith which opens up the passing game. I'll take meathead and wear it proudly.

You're comparing SU Basketball which had a run of what, like 30 winning seasons to SU football that was coming off Grob. Marrone still had a losing season his 3rd year. Marrone didn't recruit for . The Shafer hatred is unfounded and laughable.
If he is such a good coach and was treated unfairly then why hasn’t another school offered him a head coaching position?No hatred here toward him, but I had seen enough to know it was time to go in a different direction.

144% THIS.

FHCSMFS literally had zero notable upset wins on his resume.
NONE.

Dino & crew beat #2 Clemson, and almost did it again on the road.
Plus FSU, VaTech, romping on Llvll so bad they fired their coach,
and capping off the 10 win season by handling CouchBurner U in the Camping World Bowl -
There were numerous notable W’s along the way.

Dino got us ranked in Top 25 for the first time in decades.

Shafer did none of those things.

It’s Dino >>>>>>>>> Shafer,
and it’s not particularly close.
Dino won with a gimmick offense that lasted 2 years and only won on the backs of other coaches recruits. He had never built anything before coming here and sucked doing it. Dino didn't win if Eric wasn't playing, well neither did Scott when his QB wasn't playing. Boggles my mind that people still think Shafer was horrible when he was playing with Austin Wilson and Zach Mahoney. Nobody was winning with those guys.

Big wins are fun, for that week. I remember when Grob beat ranked Louisville too.

If he is such a good coach and was treated unfairly then why hasn’t another school offered him a head coaching position?No hatred here toward him, but I had seen enough to know it was time to go in a different direction.
Really? That's what I don't get. We are not Alabama, we don't fire coaches after 3 years, not even fing Grob. Also before Eric got hurt his 3rd year, things were looking on the up. You going to deny that?

He had also fixed the McFckIT hire by bringing in Lester. I think Lester and Dungey could have done things.

Some of you guys are meatheads. Shafer was learning on the job. BFD. He recruited Dungey which is the only reason Dino had ANY success here. He was given the shortest leash in SU coaching history and had a bowl win under his belt. In case many of you don't remember, Marrone hated recruiting and left him kaka for depth. Was he an amazing coach, nah but fing Grob got more rope FFS.

Don't forget he had a pretty bad run with his starting QBs too. Not his fault that his starting QB broke his leg and then tore his Achilles. Imagine Dino's record without a starting QB? As for the Cigar, he got f'ed by the school so he gave us a f you. I don't fault him for it. Harrison, as a legacy, has been just as disrespectful IMO.
had me until the he got f’ed by the school. How?

He was arguably the best DC we've had here in the last 25 years. Geno Smith still has nightmares about that defense. I wasn't mad he smoked a cigar, I was mad that Dino lost to MTSU.
I mean sure but the whole cigar thing on a program who literally was your first head coaching gig was classless.

Also like woah is me as if he was hard done by. Which he wasn’t. He was a bad head coach and justifiably got fired.

had me until the he got f’ed by the school. How?
1. Only coach in modern history to get only 3 years, even Grob got 4
2. Didn't have a chance to develop his own recruits
3. Was left very poor depth by previous coaching staff
4. Had to transition the team from BE to ACC, including annual games against Clemson,FSU.
5. Before he lost his QB in year 3, things looked very much improved. Not good, but improved. We were a 3OT game and 3pt loss to Pitt away from being 5-2 instead of 3-4. Lester hire looked very strong.
6. He got fired by an administration with 1 foot out the door.

Essentially, every coach has been given a lot more leash than Shafer. Shafer was the victim of an AD who wanted to make a huge splash and didn't stick around long enough to feel the ripples. IMO, neither Jake or John fire Shafer after year 3. Only Coyle does and he ran away so fast, i think there's still skid marks on his street.

I mean sure but the whole cigar thing on a program who literally was your first head coaching gig was classless.

Also like woah is me as if he was hard done by. Which he wasn’t. He was a bad head coach and justifiably got fired.
Not even sure who your second paragraph is responding to here. Lol

Stay mad I guess?

He got coordinator and head coach money for years. He’s fine.
That he wouldn't have gotten anywhere else at the Power 5 level - at least the head coach money. I'd like to get screwed like that any day.

Really? That's what I don't get. We are not Alabama, we don't fire coaches after 3 years, not even fing Grob. Also before Eric got hurt his 3rd year, things were looking on the up. You going to deny that?

He had also fixed the McFckIT hire by bringing in Lester. I think Lester and Dungey could have done things.
Shafer was a continuity hire. He wasn't supposed to rebuild. He was supposed to continue what Marrone started. He failed in spectacular fashion.

Oh I am SO fing sick of the he left Dungey in too long BS. It happens ALL THE TIME. NFL coaches aren't pulling their QB up 30 so this is such BS. The rest of your post is making excuses for the fact the guy won. Give me a break.
No Gomer. Most coaches absolutely do NOT leave their starting QB that they can't afford to lose in a 41-10 game in the fourth quarter with 4 minutes left. That's ridiculous!

Whoa, I never said he was a good HC. I said he got a raw deal. Fact is he got hired with the school knowing he would be learning on the job. I think he deserved at least year 4 with his new DC and QB to see what could have been.

One of the great beer jingles.

I remember every word.

Beautifully politically incorrect.

“This man’s world”…. “When you’re having more than one” …”even when your thirst is done”

It’s genius.
Remember the commercial when the Schafer truck drivers are in the locker room and the rookie has to sing the jingle and he has the incredible voice, and the Older driver in tears says “not bad kid”. Great Ad

People acting like Shafer got paid here. Dude was one of the lowest paid HCs in P5 and made less than 8 G5 coaches and multiple P5 Coordinators. We took a Big East roster into the ACC with laughable facilities and investment from the AD. They went cheap and it didn't work out. Dino got PAID and pretty much sucked. Luckily he was able to afford better assistant coaches to save him from his own stupidity sometimes.

In any event, we have Fran now and we're all excited about that. Let's get loud on Saturday and start this era off right with a beat down of Ohio. Best of luck to whatever former coaches. Moving on.

Whoa, I never said he was a good HC. I said he got a raw deal. Fact is he got hired with the school knowing he would be learning on the job. I think he deserved at least year 4 with his new DC and QB to see what could have been.
It was highly unlikely a fourth year would have mattered. I posted a big analysis here when he was headed into his 3rd year, and the data was overwhelming that nearly all Head Coaches who end up getting their teams into the top 25 on a regular basis showed positive results by year three. 4-8 wasn't that.

No Gomer. Most coaches absolutely do NOT leave their starting QB that they can't afford to lose in a 41-10 game in the fourth quarter with 4 minutes left. That's ridiculous!
BS. I've been paying attention over the years and seen plenty of instances where starters were still in games in similar or even worse situations and thought to myself about our exact situation. I suppose I'll have to find examples. Might take a bit to go through the damn play by plays of games but if you want them, I'll find them. Good coaches too

It was highly unlikely a fourth year would have mattered. I posted a big analysis here when he was headed into his 3rd year, and the data was overwhelming that nearly all Head Coaches who end up getting their teams into the top 25 on a regular basis showed positive results by year three. 4-8 wasn't that.
Did it take into account moving from the BE into the ACC with roster than had almost no depth and no investment from the AD into our facilities?

Keep laughing. Challenge accepted.

BS. I've been paying attention over the years and seen plenty of instances where starters were still in games in similar or even worse situations and thought to myself about our exact situation. I suppose I'll have to find examples. Might take a bit to go through the damn play by plays of games but if you want them, I'll find them. Good coaches too
Comical. You might have a little bit of credibility if you can at least acknowledge this one instance where he screwed up.

Did it take into account moving from the BE into the ACC with roster than had almost no depth and no investment from the AD into our facilities?
It took into account dozens upon dozens of situations. That's what broad-scale research studies do. That way it extinguishes the noise and provides representative insights.

And across that broad spectrum of scenarios, nearly all coaches who got their teams into the top 25 consistently had success by year 3.

Comical. You might have a little bit of credibility if you can at least acknowledge this one instance where he screwed up.
If I remember correctly, they even said they were ready to take him out but due to a turnover the backup wasn't ready so they put him back out there. And I have seen instances of coaches leaving their QBs in games until the final whistle, even in a blowout. Maybe they have their reasaons, like the backup is dinged up or something. I'm not privy to the reasons behind it, I just recall seeing it happen, quite a few times. Dungey was a freshman, he needed reps, technically he was the starting backup QB. You get that right? Hunt was supposed to be the starter, not Dungey. I just don't think it's the big deal everyone has made it out to be over the years.

If I remember correctly, they even said they were ready to take him out but due to a turnover the backup wasn't ready so they put him back out there. And I have seen instances of coaches leaving their QBs in games until the final whistle, even in a blowout. Maybe they have their reasaons, like the backup is dinged up or something. I'm not privy to the reasons behind it, I just recall seeing it happen, quite a few times. Dungey was a freshman, he needed reps, technically he was the starting backup QB. You get that right? Hunt was supposed to be the starter, not Dungey. I just don't think it's the big deal everyone has made it out to be over the years.
You can't even be objective and acknowledge this one time he blatantly screwed up. Try to be the least bit objective and acknowledge the good AND the bad. You're embarrassing yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom