Hope Scott Shafer lands in a good spot. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hope Scott Shafer lands in a good spot.

Some of you guys are meatheads. Shafer was learning on the job. BFD. He recruited Dungey which is the only reason Dino had ANY success here. He was given the shortest leash in SU coaching history and had a bowl win under his belt. In case many of you don't remember, Marrone hated recruiting and left him kaka for depth. Was he an amazing coach, nah but fing Grob got more rope FFS.

Don't forget he had a pretty bad run with his starting QBs too. Not his fault that his starting QB broke his leg and then tore his Achilles. Imagine Dino's record without a starting QB? As for the Cigar, he got f'ed by the school so he gave us a f you. I don't fault him for it. Harrison, as a legacy, has been just as disrespectful IMO.

SU paid him the most money he's ever made, the exact opposite of being screwed.

Some of you guys are meatheads. Shafer was learning on the job. BFD. He recruited Dungey which is the only reason Dino had ANY success here. He was given the shortest leash in SU coaching history and had a bowl win under his belt. In case many of you don't remember, Marrone hated recruiting and left him kaka for depth. Was he an amazing coach, nah but fing Grob got more rope FFS.

Don't forget he had a pretty bad run with his starting QBs too. Not his fault that his starting QB broke his leg and then tore his Achilles. Imagine Dino's record without a starting QB? As for the Cigar, he got f'ed by the school so he gave us a f you. I don't fault him for it. Harrison, as a legacy, has been just as disrespectful IMO.

Calling everyone meatheads while giving a meathead comment is something

It was pretty bad. Not Grob bad, but bad. The ISIS comment was mind boggling.
Scott and GROB were both great guys. RIP GROB, may not have been head coaching material but really good men. Some of the best coaches are not the nicest humans, Lombardi, Paterno, Woody Hayes, Bill B., the list is long but they could coach. I hope HCFB proves to be the best of both worlds, he already sounds like he is a great guy.

For Scott’s sake, I hope he lands in a cigar lounge.
If he lands in a cigar lounge, it’s probably going to be the one in Manhattan where Rudy Giuliani hangs out.

IMG_1247.jpeg

As for the Cigar, he got f'ed by the school so he gave us a f you. I don't fault him for it. Harrison, as a legacy, has been just as disrespectful IMO.
I agree he left some good players for Dino to work with. Just like Dino left Wax, Gadsden, Allen and Barron. I agree it's also time to get over it with respect to the cigar, but he was not in any way screwed over by SU. He was in over his head and the fact that he hasn't been able to get a higher profile job shows that he wasn't quite cut out for the HC position.

Shafer inherited a 7 win program and handed over a 3 win program. Dino turned that back into a 7 win program. Scott made the football program worse in his 3 years. Dino didn't quite live up to the early promise, but there's absolute no way we'd have had some of the highs we had with Dino, and there were highs, with Shafer.

Name another coach in modern SU history that only got 3 years with one of them being a winning season with a bowl win. The other two seasons he lost his starting QB within the first couple of games. The year he was fired he was playing with a 4th string QB. He was given a very shallow depth chart and brought in one of the best QBs in recent history.

As for the Harrison comment, he had a history of not exactly dissing SU, but not really acknowledging his alma mater either and if memory serves me correctly, essentially said no way was SU ever really in the running for Jr. I'm old, I come from a time when legacies were a thing. I don't think they are anymore so yeah after a little more coffee you can ignore that. Shafer still got a pretty raw deal by Coyle.
What string "QB" was Dino playing with by the end of last season? Do you really want to play that game?

SS used the “lock the doors of the dome” (or some such) which is one of the great images in my mind. Unfortunately the “beat the hell out of them” part didn’t happen as often as we all hoped. As our recent pre Fran Brown (PFB) post PP coaches go I would rank them in this order, and I will think about this no more with our first game only 2 days away.

Marrone

SS

DB

Grob

Odd thread. Both were bad.

Shafer had clownish tendencies and would never have taken us anywhere.

Dino was full of fluff and was not a good coach, including the 10 win season.

Neither viewed the program from a position of strength.

Fran is the first coach since Marrone that gives me some confidence and I haven’t seen him coach a game yet.

SS used the “lock the doors of the dome” (or some such) which is one of the great images in my mind. Unfortunately the “beat the hell out of them” part didn’t happen as often as we all hoped. As our recent pre Fran Brown (PFB) post PP coaches go I would rank them in this order, and I will think about this no more with our first game only 2 days away.

Marrone

SS

DB

Grob
Shafer... the guy who needed a miracle to beat Villanova is ranked above Dino?

Dino won games he had no business winning. He wasn't the same guy in 2023 as he was in 2016, but man, there are some short memories here. There is absolutely no way Shafer would have sniffed a 10 win season or even any in season top 25 ranking much less wins like Clemson or NC State in 2018.

Dino won games he had no business winning. He wasn't the same guy in 2023 as he was in 2016, but man, there are some short memories here. There is absolutely no way Shafer would have sniffed a 10 win season or even any in season top 25 ranking much less wins like Clemson or NC State in 2018.

144% THIS.

FHCSMFS literally had zero notable upset wins on his resume.
NONE.

Dino & crew beat #2 Clemson, and almost did it again on the road.
Plus FSU, VaTech, romping on Llvll so bad they fired their coach,
and capping off the 10 win season by handling CouchBurner U in the Camping World Bowl -
There were numerous notable W’s along the way.

Dino got us ranked in Top 25 for the first time in decades.

Shafer did none of those things.

It’s Dino >>>>>>>>> Shafer,
and it’s not particularly close.

How did SU F him over? He sucked, that great QB that Dino inherited was left in the game very late in a blowout loss against Louisville and sustained another concussion that could have ruined his career, that was weeks after the Central Michigan goon almost decapitated him, one of the most reckless and dumb decisions ever to keep Dungey in that Louisville game. We were down 4 TDs and Mr Punt said he kept him in because they still had a chance to win. Coyle is a douche but he didn’t like Shafer and he wanted to hire his own guy. As mediocre as Dino turned out to be, it was the right call. His bowl season was in an ACC with no Louisville yet, and he was able to play NC State in year 1 of Doeren when they sucked, Wake when they sucked, and Maryland when they were down to like their 4th QB and had lost Stefon Diggs amongst others for the season.

144% THIS.

FHCSMFS literally had zero notable upset wins on his resume.
NONE.

Dino & crew beat #2 Clemson, and almost did it again on the road.
Dino should have beat Clemson on the road twice. Once screwed by the refs and once screwed by undisciplined defense.

And we gave that 2018 Clemson team the hardest game they had all year. That Clemson team brushed aside Alabama like it was nothing.

Dino should have beat Clemson on the road twice. Once screwed by the refs and once screwed by undisciplined defense.
I still have PTSD from both those games. I would add terrible clock management by Dino to the equation. In 2018 he needed to use timeouts to give us time to work with when it was obvious Clemson would score but his head was in the clouds.

Dino wouldn't have lasted beyond 2018 if Eric hadn't taken matters into his own hands, and changed many of the plays.

The only team he won with was all Marrone players...
He also lost with mostly Marrone players or underdeveloped Shafer players. My argument is that he only got 3 years. 1 of which was a bowl game, the other two he lost his starting QB at the beginning of the season.

Name another coach in modern SU history that only got 3 years with one of them being a winning season with a bowl win. The other two seasons he lost his starting QB within the first couple of games. The year he was fired he was playing with a 4th string QB. He was given a very shallow depth chart and brought in one of the best QBs in recent history.

As for the Harrison comment, he had a history of not exactly dissing SU, but not really acknowledging his alma mater either and if memory serves me correctly, essentially said no way was SU ever really in the running for Jr. I'm old, I come from a time when legacies were a thing. I don't think they are anymore so yeah after a little more coffee you can ignore that. Shafer still got a pretty raw deal by Coyle.
If Red Autry has back to back losing seasons he will be terminated and nobody is going to say he was f’ed. Shafer got paid more money for those 3 years than a lot of people are going to make in their lifetime and should feel grateful for an opportunity few people get.

How did SU F him over? He sucked, that great QB that Dino inherited was left in the game very late in a blowout loss against Louisville and sustained another concussion that could have ruined his career, that was weeks after the Central Michigan goon almost decapitated him, one of the most reckless and dumb decisions ever to keep Dungey in that Louisville game. We were down 4 TDs and Mr Punt said he kept him in because they still had a chance to win. Coyle is a douche but he didn’t like Shafer and he wanted to hire his own guy. As mediocre as Dino turned out to be, it was the right call. His bowl season was in an ACC with no Louisville yet, and he was able to play NC State in year 1 of Doeren when they sucked, Wake when they sucked, and Maryland when they were down to like their 4th QB and had lost Stefon Diggs amongst others for the season.
Oh I am SO fing sick of the he left Dungey in too long BS. It happens ALL THE TIME. NFL coaches aren't pulling their QB up 30 so this is such BS. The rest of your post is making excuses for the fact the guy won. Give me a break.

If Red Autry has back to back losing seasons he will be terminated and nobody is going to say he was f’ed. Shafer got paid more money for those 3 years than a lot of people are going to make in their lifetime and should feel grateful for an opportunity few people get.
You're comparing SU Basketball which had a run of what, like 30 winning seasons to SU football that was coming off Grob. Marrone still had a losing season his 3rd year. Marrone didn't recruit for . The Shafer hatred is unfounded and laughable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom