Hope Scott Shafer lands in a good spot. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Hope Scott Shafer lands in a good spot.

1. Only coach in modern history to get only 3 years, even Grob got 4
2. Didn't have a chance to develop his own recruits
3. Was left very poor depth by previous coaching staff
4. Had to transition the team from BE to ACC, including annual games against Clemson,FSU.
5. Before he lost his QB in year 3, things looked very much improved. Not good, but improved. We were a 3OT game and 3pt loss to Pitt away from being 5-2 instead of 3-4. Lester hire looked very strong.
6. He got fired by an administration with 1 foot out the door.

Essentially, every coach has been given a lot more leash than Shafer. Shafer was the victim of an AD who wanted to make a huge splash and didn't stick around long enough to feel the ripples. IMO, neither Jake or John fire Shafer after year 3. Only Coyle does and he ran away so fast, i think there's still skid marks on his street.
Now that's a person I dislike, took the job and ran away as fast as he could.
That had to be the worst hire ever.

1. Only coach in modern history to get only 3 years, even Grob got 4
2. Didn't have a chance to develop his own recruits
3. Was left very poor depth by previous coaching staff
4. Had to transition the team from BE to ACC, including annual games against Clemson,FSU.
5. Before he lost his QB in year 3, things looked very much improved. Not good, but improved. We were a 3OT game and 3pt loss to Pitt away from being 5-2 instead of 3-4. Lester hire looked very strong.
6. He got fired by an administration with 1 foot out the door.

Essentially, every coach has been given a lot more leash than Shafer. Shafer was the victim of an AD who wanted to make a huge splash and didn't stick around long enough to feel the ripples. IMO, neither Jake or John fire Shafer after year 3. Only Coyle does and he ran away so fast, i think there's still skid marks on his street.

Jake or JW never in a million years hire SS. The worst AD in modern times however, did (with the promise of keeping the Marrone system which got immediately chucked, recruits and all).

I loved the way he wore his heart on his sleeve. Everyone loved the praise he had for CNY. If Dino showed half that praise it would've gone a long way.

With that said he also said a lot of things he shouldn't have. The most crazy one was towards the end of his tenure everybody figured he signed a 5 yr contract and had a year left, some reporter asked him about it, and he was like No! I have a full year left on my 4 year contract! Seemed the reporter probably had to tell him off record, Um, hey buddy, you might want to talk to your boss, because HC's don't normally coach out their final year...

You have to wonder if that article got the wheels turning, like everyone was like, oh damn, that's right he's on a 4 year contract! He was canned shortly after.

I’m in awe of the Scott Shafer Defense League still going strong 9 years later!

Jake Gyllenhaal Love GIF

SS lost to Georgia Tech 58-0 after he planned for a year to stop the triple option. And he beat a MAC team after the ref called one of our extra points good even though replays showed it missed. And he made fun publicly on Twitter of Georgians afraid to drive in the snow when he was recruiting in Georgia. I'm sure recruits and their families and coaches appreciated that. Just dumb. And I didn't even mention Nova and Isis.

Correction: The missed XP called good was with Doug as Coach in 2011. My bad.

Last edited:
Really? That's what I don't get. We are not Alabama, we don't fire coaches after 3 years, not even fing Grob. Also before Eric got hurt his 3rd year, things were looking on the up. You going to deny that?

He had also fixed the McFckIT hire by bringing in Lester. I think Lester and Dungey could have done things.
The new AD changed the equation, that can’t be ignored. Another year wouldn’t have helped.

SS lost to Georgia Tech 58-0 after he planned for a year to stop the triple option. And he beat a MAC team after the ref called one of our extra points good even though replays showed it missed. And he made fun publicly on Twitter of Georgians afraid to drive in the snow when he was recruiting in Georgia. I'm sure recruits and their families and coaches appreciated that. Just dumb. And I didn't even mention Nova and Isis.
I thought the extra point thing was with Marrone

You can't even be objective and acknowledge this one time he blatantly screwed up. Try to be the least bit objective and acknowledge the good AND the bad. You're embarrassing yourself.
Tell it to Tomlin and remember, Dungey wasn't on the Heisman watch FFS. He wasn't a superstar. He was a freshman, who looked pretty good, needed reps, and the backup wasn't ready.

Tell it to Tomlin and remember, Dungey wasn't on the Heisman watch FFS. He wasn't a superstar. He was a freshman, who looked pretty good, needed reps, and the backup wasn't ready.

Brilliant! Your argument now is an article about how stupid it is to leave stars in. Eric didn't get many precious reps in those last 3 games when they would have actually meant something because of you and your hero Shafer's meathead logic. That you keep defending this is becoming my favorite moment ever on the board. I can't stop laughing.

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend. Go SU! (Assuming you are an SU fan and not just a Shafer fan)

Last edited:
Brilliant! Your argument now is an article about how stupid it is to leave stars in. Eric didn't get many precious reps in those last 3 games when they would have actually meant something because of you and your hero Shafer's meathead logic. That you keep defending thing is becoming my favorite moment ever on the board. I can't stop laughing.

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend. Go SU! (Assuming you are an SU fan and not just a Shafer fan)
So basically you think the journalist, who writes about sports, is more correct than a guy like Tomlin who has coached it for years and will probably be in the HOF? Shafer's not my hero, I just think he got fired prematurely, same as P, on the flip side Grob and Dino were kept too long. Enjoy your weekend as well. Go CUSE!

I am too lazy to read the Tomlin article but unless there are a bunch of examples of an NFL coach leaving in a rookie who had already had a major concussion 7 weeks earlier then I could care less. We didn’t need more than 3 years to see what an unhinged tweaked out moron he was

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom