Hopkins Game Thread... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins Game Thread...

Desko is just collecting a paycheck at this point.
After talking to a few high school coaches a few months ago they said Donohue is doing the coaching during a practices.
Desko loathes recruiting more than Marrone did when he was here.
So if you think Desko can actually coach us to another tittle you need to stop thinking how important coaching has become as parity is getting more wide spread.

that's the worst part. i too think we fielded the better squad but couldn't close out today. we looked bad second half. hopkins is walking right past our D on the right side. no communication or slides. and ben has to be smarter in the 3 -6 seconds after the whistle blows. this is a tough loss to take but we deserved it.

( as to above post i was also thinking today that some program will poach donaghue once his kids' gone)

We could also benefit from getting Piroli back.

Still lacking cohesiveness on offense. Too much one on one play.

Donahue wasn't much of a factor today because I don't think we have anyone right now who works well with him

Hopkins has done a good job on Donahue his entire career here so I can't blame him, thought he didn't try ad force the issue which was the right call. The biggest issue is that going into the teeth of the schedule we needed this W. Now we have to split between Duke and ND, a very tall order.

Probably didn't want to play Piroli today with bad conditions.

But if he's indeed wearing a brace, have to wonder if he's going to be effective again this year.

Agreed, to bad to he looked good in the pre season and the 1st game. Tough break.

JeremyCuse said:
Hopkins has done a good job on Donahue his entire career here so I can't blame him, thought he didn't try ad force the issue which was the right call. The biggest issue is that going into the teeth of the schedule we needed this W. Now we have to split between Duke and ND, a very tall order.

I think we lose the next two, then probably win the last five.

We'll finish 10-3 or 9-4 and get a fifth or sixth seed.

that's the worst part. i too think we fielded the better squad but couldn't close out today. we looked bad second half. hopkins is walking right past our D on the right side. no communication or slides. and ben has to be smarter in the 3 -6 seconds after the whistle blows. this is a tough loss to take but we deserved it.

Hard to get on Ben but that last violation simply can't happen, if you lose it you lose it but with 2 already you cant risk it.

I think we lose the next two, then probably win the last five.

We'll finish 10-3 or 9-4 and get a fifth or sixth seed.

Colgate and Bingo should be comfortable wins see Siena

Hobart is not a good team but they have a good goalie who I have zero doubt will stand on his head and make the game a lot closer then it should be. With the game at Hobart it will likely be a bigger battle then it should be. Ditto for Cornell, there bad offensively but they have a good goalie and faceoff guy and with it being on the road dont be suprised if its similar to hopkins.

UNC is a good team but they have a lot of issues, with it being at home we should win.

JeremyCuse said:
Colgate and Bingo should be comfortable wins see Siena Hobart is not a good team but they have a good goalie who I have zero doubt will stand on his head and make the game a lot closer then it should be. With the game at Hobart it will likely be a bigger battle then it should be. Ditto for Cornell, there bad offensively but they have a good goalie and faceoff guy and with it being on the road dont be suprised if its similar to hopkins. UNC

The concern I have is that we don't seem to be able to close out games against teams that are just average or better.

So, yeah, we should expect some close games against teams that we should probably handle.

Our goaltending and offense aren't good enough to lay down the hammer.

The concern I have is that we don't seem to be able to close out games against teams that are just average or better.

So, yeah, we should expect some close games against teams that we should probably handle.

Our goaltending and offense aren't good enough to lay down the hammer.

One of the things I pointed out at halftime was late game poise and it again reared its head. The one thing I will say though is that if Ciferri doesnt' forget what team he is on SU would have played well down the stretch. I can't blame the D for the last 5 minutes when SU cant win a faceoff and we turn it over like that. Hill and Ciferri really crumbled late.

kill clock and win face-offs. that's not asking a lot from this team. didn't happen.

kill clock and win face-offs. that's not asking a lot from this team. didn't happen.

It definitely didn't. To make matters worse the next two games aren't the ones to rebound on either. 5-3 is unfortunately likely

tbonezone said:

They won enough faceoffs to win the game.

But the offense was subpar in the second half, Cifferi made a bad pass and Hill couldn't make a big save.

They won enough faceoffs to win the game.

But the offense was subpar in the second half, Cifferi made a bad pass and Hill couldn't make a big save.

You pretty much nailed it. Lack of offense and Goal-tending with a huge side of turnovers did us in. Only scored 3 goals in the second half despite numerous opportunities. Recruiting misses offensively are apparent.

Hill did make a big save and then lost on a rebound. I really can't find too much fault with Hills game today as a lot of shots were from close. 1 or 2 maybe and he guessed wrong high on one that was a bouncer. But seriously the mid defense crumbled and the offense got sloppy with some bad turnovers and bad shots.

Syracuse will win the next two and is every bit a final four team.

This one was on the road in sleet and cold rain. They got Hopkins best shot and it took OT. You guys worry too much.

mariano seems compelled to shoot every time he touches the rubber and lanes high velocity shot needs to be on cage rather than in the bleachers.
again i feel bad cuz this is a game we should have won even playing below par in crappy weather.

Hill did make a big save and then lost on a rebound. I really can't find too much fault with Hills game today as a lot of shots were from close. 1 or 2 maybe and he guessed wrong high on one that was a bouncer. But seriously the mid defense crumbled and the offense got sloppy with some bad turnovers and bad shots.

Syracuse will win the next two and is every bit a final four team.

This one was on the road in sleet and cold rain. They got Hopkins best shot and it took OT. You guys worry too much.

I dont know if you have seen ND and Duke this year but I find it hard to see SU going 2-0 over the next two games. A split would be a great outcome. Hill has been mediocre all year that is the issue, the loss isn't' his fault but he isn't' making that tough save that other goalies are. Syracuse defensively is a strong team save for SSDM outside of Grimm but with D'agostino apparently moving there it should get shored up.

The biggest issues are turnovers and lack of offensive depth outside of the starters, if we don't clear those areas up we will be lucky to get past the quarters.

mariano seems compelled to shoot every time he touches the rubber and lanes high velocity slow release shot needs to be on cage rather than in the bleachers.

Honestly I can't fault Mariano, he was one of the only ones putting shots on goal in the second half, the offense was that bad. Piroli is missed badly, puts to much pressure on Evans and the backup mid lines who are both struggling terribly.

PhatOrange said:
Hill did make a big save and then lost on a rebound. I really can't find too much fault with Hills game today as a lot of shots were from close. 1 or 2 maybe and he guessed wrong high on one that was a bouncer. But seriously the mid defense crumbled and the offense got sloppy with some bad turnovers and bad shots. Syracuse will win the next two and is every bit a final four team. This one was on the road in sleet and cold rain. They got Hopkins best shot and it took OT. You guys worry too much.

We'll revisit your prediction in a few weeks.

Actually, thought most of the goals Hill surrendered were from a distance.

I can only recall him giving up a handful of goals from in close all year.

If I'm looking to score on Hill, I shoot from deep. He rarely saves those.

One thing this loss does is put a lot of pressure on the rest of the OOC schedule. Can't afford to stub our toe against Hobart or Cornell. Lot of pressure on SU in two rivalry road games. Something the average fan probably wont' take away from this loss.

hopkins and esp. that frosh supinsky seemed to be dodging in from high right past one defender and bouncing shots low before anybody covered. i guess 75% of the shots were warren's right and low.

JeremyCuse said:
One thing this loss does is put a lot of pressure on the rest of the OOC schedule. Can't afford to stub our toe against Hobart or Cornell. Lot of pressure on SU in two rivalry road games. Something the average fan probably wont' take away from this loss.

Exactly. If they can win one of the next two, it will take off some pressure.

But if they lose both and stumble again against a lesser opponent, a tourney berth isn't guaranteed.

hopkins and esp. that frosh supinsky seemed to be dodging in from high right past one defender and bouncing shots low before anybody covered. i guess 75% of the shots were warren's right and low.

Great point

5-5 ND and UVA midway through 4th, Barrett having the game of his life in goal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom