Hopkins Game Thread...

Discussion in 'Syracuse Lacrosse Board' started by OrangeXtreme, Mar 18, 2017 at 8:25 AM.

1. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

there was a fight before the game?

2. OrangeXtreme

OrangeXtreme Moderator Staff Member

Pregame "scrum". Both teams started a man down for 1:00.

3. WoodyUK

WoodyUK Lax Maven

They showed it on ESPN during the start of the game!

4. Orangtiz

Orangtiz Scout Team

The offense seemed to struggle again at points throughout this game after I went back and watched. They are having trouble finding consistent open shots. What do we think the problem is? Are the players specifically like Lane and some guys on the attack just not that good?

We are going to have to score a good amount on Saturday to win.

5. CreaseRat

CreaseRat Walk On

My rumblings on the offense...

Salcido does not practice all week due to a lingering foot issue (noted by Desko in a post game presser). This impacts how the first unit gels together and players feeling comfortable with one another and knowing where a certain player will be. Especially when it's your top middie missing time.

Lack of an X attackman to run the offense. The offense relies heavily on alley dodges, which is fine, if you have good movement on the backside and move the ball to the adjacent and then that player moves it quickly and doesn't hold it. Too many times it's one on one and holding the ball looking for an individual shot, rather then getting a shot through ball movement and defensive rotation. I'm a big proponent of having your middies dodge the SSDM from X and making the D slide towards GLE (easier to back cut towards the goal). Side bar: Both Dearth and Solomon scored on back cuts when the ball was on the low wing. It's going to create 2 possibilities that the alley dodge doesn't. 1) crease feed due to a slow 2 slide and/or finding a step down shot off an adjacent slide. They have multiple players with good outside shots that they should be able to capitalize on the defense rotating. This is a coaching problem, they are trying to put a round peg in a square hole. Utilize each player to his skill set, tweek the offense to allow players to succeed.

Lastly, with all the random substitution patterns, I don't think players get a feel for the game and play care free. Looks like a majority of players are trying not to make a mistake instead of being aggressive and trying to make a play.

Orangtiz, jr4750 and JeremyCuse like this.
  6. Orangello

Orangello All American

Agree that we seem to be relying almost exclusively on alley dodges and individuals looking for their shots rather than creating mismatches and ball movement on defensive rotations. We really miss a QB for this offense. I think Evans tries like hell but his strength is just not as a distributor. We need more back cuts and V cuts to the guys with quick hands starting with the Bomber. I have a feeling we will not see Lane on the 1st mid line this Sat. He's not fast enough to beat his man on the dodge, doesn't have good shot selection and just seems to be standing around a lot. He needs to be shooting low to high with velocity rather than trying to rely on the bounce shot (which he's hit on exactly once this year). We'll see.

JeremyCuse likes this.