hopkins head coach what did you think ? | Syracusefan.com

hopkins head coach what did you think ?

tbonezone

Living Legend
hard to believe i'd have to say this but i felt he was a bit ill prepared. he did try a bit more rotation but pretty much stuck to the script he was given. seemed a bit overwhelmed given his tenure.

hard to believe i'd have to say this but i felt he was a bit ill prepared. he did try a bit more rotation but pretty much stuck to the script he was given. seemed a bit overwhelmed given his tenure.

In fairness, he had two days to prepare... to play our arch rival... on the road.

The team played to its limitations in the first half--tough to pin that on coaching. They fought really hard in the second half, but had dug too deep of a hole to get over the hump. Again, I don't put the run we made on coaching, either -- guys finally started making shots, after not making them for the majority of the first 25 minutes of the game.

I liked the rotation, and his expanded use of Coleman and getting Howard a lot of extended run. Didn't see much that stood out one way or the other in terms of game strategy, honestly.

He's getting his sea legs.

He'll be more aggressive and less set in his ways than JB.

I'm impressed tbh, the way he extended the zone and trap in the second half really gave us some momentum. Plus his player rotation seemed to be more frequent and it showed some positives today.

i'd give that pass to a newbie. not someone who's been coaching here since 1996.

I don't know how much you can take away from today.

He had a very short period to prepare to be head coach. Unclear what the team's mental frame of mind was given the sudden announcement of JB's suspension. And he is ultimately running JB's system, not his own. It's his job to win games using JB's system because the team will run JB's system when the season is over.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Hop ran exclusively man defense the next 8 games and the team went 8-0 and looked really good doing it, what JB's play would be upon return. Not like JB could call up Hop after the first game and tell him go back to the zone.

Clearly he's gotten the free throw shooting straightened out. 17 out of 21 today.

B+; really liked it.

Can't judge to much on this mid-season "head coach" experiment. It's not Mike's team.

But the substitutions were a positive (if maybe a bit too liberal; knowing his candid nature, I'd love to hear his reasoning behind a couple of the subs) and his success in extending the game was nothing short of terrific.

So it was Hop's fault the players couldn't shoot in the first half and it must have inspired the very good defense that Gtown played at that point.

sad truth but yes it was it entirely his fault. as a coach you are judged by your players performance. and that's whether you have players producing above their expectations or playing below them. the preparation , game plan. and execution. that's all on the coach and don't blame your players. ever.

Didn't look overwhelmed to me, looked calm and cool. BUt I too believe he deserves a pass with the short notice on the turnaround.

There's no way Hop will project the same authority right away as Boeheim; even unconsciously. Especially with Boeheim probably returning. But like some of you guys point out, it's kinda neat to see some signs of Hop's distinct directions.

Unless by sequestering Joseph, Hop is even more Boeheim than Boeheim in some ways, heh.

not too worried about Hop. he gave coleman minutes, played franky. pressed a bit earlier. but our d sucked all game and rebounding was atrocious. the only that hop could have done is gone man2man and that aint happening in this 9 game stretch.

My biggest takeaway was that when he takes off the suitcoat and rolls up the sleeves he is a dead ringer for John Beilein
belein.jpg

He didnt play pne second if i remember correctly

I sure as hell hope some of these posts are tongue-in-cheek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom