hopkins head coach what did you think ? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

hopkins head coach what did you think ?

Anyone who rips Hop after this game is a douchenozzle and should be banned from posting for the remainder of JB's suspension.

We played like a very young team without their HOF coach. And guess what, we are a very young team. Even our vaunted frosh aren't immune to playing like the kids they are sometimes, and I didn't expect miracles in this game, even going in. I knew we would get hurt on the glass. What I didn't expect was for us to be cold all around. I mean NO ONE could get a ball to drop in the first half. Unfortunately it had to happen against he Hoyas. Oh well. Doesn't mean we suck. Doesn't mean they are great. It means we have to figure out how to rebound, defend and score from the interior. The word is out afterAtlantis, and both opponents since have basically done the same thing on D, which is clog up the middle at the high post and prevent the drive. I was quite deflated by the first half.

However, these guys sucked it up and really left it all on the floor in the second half. Their effort was amazing, but too little to late, unfortunately.

And it finally dawned on me that the problem with DC is that DC is basically a ROOKIE out there, making rookie mistakes. Hell, he hasn't played in two years, so what else should we have expected? We have to cut the kid some slack and let him shake that rust off. The only way he gets better is to play through it and learn.

Someone needs to teach these guys to attack the basket and ELEVATE STRAIGHT UP for bank shots instead of committing offensive fouls. For crying out loud we've had more this season so far than the last season's total! At least it seems that way.

Last thought: this game is going to help us down the road. Our guys played probably the worst half of ball they have played all season, in a very hostile environment, with no time to adjust to the JB situation. Considering all the chips that were against us, I think those kids represented well by the final buzzer, and it's clear they will give it all for Hop. It's also clear that Hop isn't afraid to mix it up more than JB. I like his press at the end. All out hustle. It was practically man2man.

Let's win the rest before the ACC games start and begin anew. This team is going to take some time to figure things out, and now we have some.

PS: I think Kaleb might not see a lot of time if Howard keeps getting looks. May be a scholarship waiting to open next year? We'll see. It's a long season, but I think this game should temper anyone's worries about one-and-dones. Mal and Tyler have a ways to go.

Last edited:
hard to believe i'd have to say this but i felt he was a bit ill prepared. he did try a bit more rotation but pretty much stuck to the script he was given. seemed a bit overwhelmed given his tenure.
Wow. Have no idea what you're talking about. You were I'll prepared to make a post on this subject. Hop did fine. Very poor post.

Loved his subs. He gave DC run and wasn't afraid to put in Kaleb and Frank. I was surprised he didn't call a To in the 1st when we got trounced. We came back withoiut making shots, I feel like the guys did him no favors today. Overall I was happy with Hop, when JB leaves we will be fine. It appears that we will be deeper

I thought Hopkins did a fine job today. Good to see him get DC increased run.

Wow. Have no idea what you're talking about. You were I'll prepared to make a post on this subject. Hop did fine. Very poor post.

very poor. my bad . he's 0-1 by the way.

hard to believe i'd have to say this but i felt he was a bit ill prepared. he did try a bit more rotation but pretty much stuck to the script he was given. seemed a bit overwhelmed given his tenure.
what? Your really think there was anything different in terms of strategy given the game plan was already set? Also, I think he did a great job giving more guys run than usual. Coleman actually contributed after finally being given a chance to play more.

"given his tenure..."
you read that right ? dude has been here 20 years. sorry but no excuses for the shakes. he should be more than prepped.

I thought Hop was thrust into an impossible spot but did okay overall.

I'd say his substitution pattern was fine; in particular, he did a great job riding Howard for a good run in the 2nd half. I heard that Kaleb was under the weather but he did trust Howard and Frankie clearly gave us a spark. I feel he did a sub-par job with his timeouts usage: specifically, it was 8-6 Georgetown and we were right there and they went on a run and he didn't call a timeout there to stem the tide. I also thought he should've gone to a press for a while both halves to make the game a little more helter skelter and try to generate some turnovers. I would've gone small and put Lydon in the back of the press, since DC would not be mobile enough to handle that role. By the time he went to the press, the game was pretty much out of reach. Also, I did like that he subbed DC out when he could as he went Trunk Monkey press, because, as I said, DC is ill-equipped to handle that.

My biggest surprise, watching him was that he was glued to the seat an awful lot, especially in the first half. Being calm is a good thing but I thought he would've been a lot more animated, especially when I thought we needed a kick in the arse. The officiating was pretty bad in the 2nd half, especially by Michael Stephens (no shock there, the guy is awful), and unless he did so very covertly, Hopkins did not seem to ride the refs too much at all.

I was disappointed Hop wasn't mic'ed up like JTIII was but I certainly understand why he wasn't (chose not to?). Again, it was an almost impossible situation but the team rallied to make it somewhat interesting down the stretch.

This team has a lot of flaws; I just hope they rally behind Hop in our next few games. No one has any clue what to expect, despite a soft upcoming schedule. I just hope we didn't already have our season's peak in Atlantis, though if that proves to be the case, I am happy I bore witness to it.

Last edited:
sad truth but yes it was it entirely his fault. as a coach you are judged by your players performance. and that's whether you have players producing above their expectations or playing below them. the preparation , game plan. and execution. that's all on the coach and don't blame your players. ever.
So if your players don't make baskets, it's the coach's fault. I don't think he or anyone else should or would blame the players. After all, they are not robots as you expect them to be.

So if your players don't make baskets, it's the coach's fault. I don't think he or anyone else should or would blame the players. After all, they are not robots as you expect them to be.

the post you quote is pretty clear and i must say well laid out. i stand by it. what's your issue exactly ?

sad truth but yes it was it entirely his fault. as a coach you are judged by your players performance. and that's whether you have players producing above their expectations or playing below them. the preparation , game plan. and execution. that's all on the coach and don't blame your players. ever.
So all those years when SU was known as a terrible free throw shooting team were all on JB?

So all those years when SU was known as a terrible free throw shooting team were all on JB?
well he both recruited and coached all those guys. if free-throw shooting was a priority he clearly missed the target.

well he both recruited and coached all those guys. if free-throw shooting was a priority he clearly missed the target.
Yup. Probably should have passed on DC, Sherm, Hak, and Stevie. When you're right, you're right.

is that your honest opinion ? certainly nothing i've ever said or implied. weak sauce.

i think i'd certainly make it a consideration. many college games are decided at the line.

Nope. Logical implication of your post. No one recruits for FT shooting. No one.
No need to recruit for FT shooting when you can coach them up like Hop did today. That said, Georgetown is traditionally weak in free throw defense, so today may have been an aberration. :rolleyes:

orangefan13 said:
He didn't go after the refs at all today just a observation.

I noticed that as well. Since we had such a great crew they probably wouldn't have cared anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom