Hopkins was squeezed out | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins was squeezed out

Cuse House

All American
I think it's pretty obvious what happened here. Wildhack knew JB wanted to keep coaching, and he himself wasn't thrilled with Hop taking over. So instead of coming out and say we are opening this up or JB will remain, they muddled up the situation making Hop uneasy about the timeline. The fact that JB signs a contract extension which he "enthusiastically" agreed to the same day Hop moves on says it all.

Hopkins was never going to be the head coach here and JB was never truly leaving after next season.

I think it's pretty obvious what happened here. Wildhack knew JB wanted to keep coaching, and he himself wasn't thrilled with Hop taking over. So instead of coming out and say we are opening this up or JB will remain, they muddled up the situation making Hop uneasy about the timeline. The fact that JB signs a contract extension which he "enthusiastically" agreed to the same day Hop moves on says it all.

Hopkins was never going to be the head coach here and JB was never truly leaving after next season.

If SU really wanted Hop they would have given him a contract this year for next year, if that makes sense.

Feel bad for the guy. He earned the change to be head coach. Although I think he will be very happy in the great state of Washington.

We love you Hop!

Hop did not pass the test last year. His passing grade is 5-4. If he had 6-3 or better record, Jimmy will be confident to step down this year.

Yes, but he had no choice. I think he saw the writing on the wall. He wasnt wanted as the head coach by the administration.

There's no evidence that Hop couldn't have taken over 4-5 years from now, if he was willing to wait.

But Hop didn't want to wait any longer.

There's no evidence that Hop couldn't have taken over 4-5 years from now, if he was willing to wait.

But Hop didn't want to wait any longer.
Yes, but that is my point. He was promised the keys next year, he doesn't want to wait 4-5 more years and others didn't want him next year either.

Hop was squeezed out miracously landed in a decent job in an awesome city?

Didn't Hop interview for the BC, Charlotte and USC jobs?

I think Hop always had 1 eye open for other opportunities. UW wanted him, those other schools didn't. That's the difference.

I think Hop always had 1 eye open for other opportunities. UW wanted him, those other schools didn't. That's the difference.
He doesn't take the job if he was certain he was being given the keys when he was promised.

Nope. He wasn't squeezed out. He got a great deal that changed the game. He now has a A.D. that hired him. One that stands behind him 100%. He didn't have that here. He could have come in and been fired after three un Syracuse years. That won't happen now. Two, the Washington program is his without a giant shadow over him. had he decided to stay, he would have been the next coach. One with very shaky job security from day 1.

Boeheim asked for an extension. Syracuse said no. They absolutely wanted Hopkins. Boeheim made a power play and here we are. Hopkins left because Boeheim wasn't going to retire. So now we had to give JB the extension.

The "enthusiastically agreed to stay on" is hilarious.

That isn't true. Charlotte offered Mike the job and offered as much $4 as he would make as a head coach here. He turned it down (seems ridiculous now) because they wanted a commitment that he wouldn't guarantee that he would be there for at least 4 years.

Boeheim asked for an extension. Syracuse said no. They absolutely wanted Hopkins. Boeheim made a power play and here we are. Hopkins left because Boeheim wasn't going to retire. So now we had to give JB the extension.
I just don't believe any of this, especially the bolded part. If Wildhack was crazy about Hop and wanted him that badly, there is no way he lets JB push him around. 3 more years of JB to lose 35 years of Hopkins? Yeah, no way

The deal was on for Hop to take over after next year. IMO Wildhack gave him vibes that he was going to be on a very short leash and he didn't fully back him. Who wants to go into a situation like that? Plus, Hop knew that JB badly wanted to continue coaching. He did the smart thing and explored other options and hit the jackpot. A school that wants him and commits to him...and his mentor who he loves gets to keep coaching.

That isn't true. Charlotte offered Mike the job and offered as much $4 as he would make as a head coach here. He turned it down (seems ridiculous now) because they wanted a commitment that he wouldn't guarantee that he would be there for at least 4 years.
Got it - thanks for the clarification

I just don't think that is true. The school said no to JB. But it would have been ugly next year.

Hop, big Pearl Jam fan, going to Seattle. Don't be offended fellow Syracusans, but overall cooler place for him especially making that kind of money, picking up the pieces of a program at a bottom, in a fertile recruiting area

It doesn't matter if it was JB or Wildhack, he was squeezed out. Those saying he left because he got a great offer, that's a bunch of BS. Syracuse is a way better job than Washington.

wrong. wrong and wrong . here's my take on what actually went down. the ever stubborn JB said he didn't want to leave . wildhack didn't want to have the publicity and drama of actually forcing him out the door so he relents and tells King Kodger he can stay on . hopkins has had enuf waiting and thus leaves for UW.

as god is my witness those will ultimately bear out to be the facts.

That was like 30 years ago