Hot Seat | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hot Seat

SU administration isn;t serious about having a winning football program then. It is 2011 and you do not get 4 or 5 years to turn a program around. There are coaches making their teams very competitive and exciting in 1 or 2 years. College football is all about recruiting. Why do we keep hiring Pro caoches who can't recruit?

You mean like last year where Marrone guided a senior laden team to a bowl win?

This stuff gets out of control. Marrone is going to get 5 years. People posting hot seat stuff now fail to remember just how low this program was under G-Rob.

You mean like last year where Marrone guided a senior laden team to a bowl win?

This stuff gets out of control. Marrone is going to get 5 years. People posting hot seat stuff now fail to remember just how low this program was under G-Rob.

I totally agree about the 5 years.

The bowl game point is starting to make me a little crazy though. I think 60% of teams go to bowls now - it's close to a partcipation trophy these days. I mean it was better than the run of 5 years without a bowl, for sure, but that alone is not some crowning achievement and shouldn't get Marrone more than a year of goodwill.

I totally agree about the 5 years.

The bowl game point is starting to make me a little crazy though. I think 60% of teams go to bowls now - it's close to a partcipation trophy these days. I mean it was better than the run of 5 years without a bowl, for sure, but that alone is not some crowning achievement and shouldn't get Marrone more than a year of goodwill.

Bowl got Marrone to 5 years. If no bowl, hard to keep him after 4. Since that would be 3 straight last place finishes.

It's a good thing most of you were not around with Coach Mac from 1981 to 1987.

Wow.
I was around. But expecting lightening to strike twice is silly.

I think he gets at least 6 years, more likely 8 years. .

That's nuts! We need 8 years to see if he "has it or not" as a head coach...lol

You can't be serious. Are you Doug's father? Brother? Cousin or something? Div IA college football in soon to be a major conference you don't need 6 let alone 8 years to come to a conclusion on a football coach. That's downright foolish.

im sick of the mac talk-
macs teams played with heart and guts

he had special teams units that worked

the offense had some giddy up under mac-not the dead horse offense of marrone

if marrone cant show some offense next year and still has no athletes who can play football-no way he gets a extention-

we cant keep wasteing time on guys who cant get the job done at any level- macs teams werent complete failures at all aspects of the game

im sick of the mac talk-

I agree. It was also close to 30 years ago and major division IA college football has changed a lot since then. It's almost not even the same game. With the rise of the SEC, the rise of the mid-majors, the amount of money schools invest into programs, schools with facilities that NFL teams drool over...expecting a Mac like turnaround just hoping and wishing for it and sticking with a guy for the sake of sticking with him is foolish.

Plus we have the bar set as low as it can be set. Win 6 and go to a bowl. That's all the fans really want. And when we are at 5-2 in early October and FAIL to reach the one stinkin goal we have, I mean come on how can you defend that!

he should be on the hot seat but there is no way gross and cantor don't give him next year
no hot seat-- he is not grob--he is here 3yrs only---give him a break.to run the risk of cliche "rome was not built in a day"

No one else cares about SU football - we can't even offer competitive compensation for high powered coaches. Urban Meyer was offered allegedly $40 million for 7 years = $5.7+ million a year - Urban will get paid in 1 year what DM gets over 5 years!

You people sure do dream big - I say wake up and accept the reality of how low SU has sunk and how long it will take to start winning consistently.

That's nuts! We need 8 years to see if he "has it or not" as a head coach...lol

You can't be serious. Are you Doug's father? Brother? Cousin or something? Div IA college football in soon to be a major conference you don't need 6 let alone 8 years to come to a conclusion on a football coach. That's downright foolish.

Take a remedial reading class. Thank you.

^^ You said he should get at least 6 years and more likely 8 years. That's insane and an insane stance to take. You are claiming the fact he is an alum protects him. Another insane stance. Like the results of the games don't matter, he just gets years because people likeed him when they hired him and he is an alum.

^^ You said he should get at least 6 years and more likely 8 years. That's insane and an insane stance to take. You are claiming the fact he is an alum protects him. Another insane stance. Like the results of the games don't matter, he just gets years because people likeed him when they hired him and he is an alum.

If it were up to me he would be fired after year 4. However it isn't up to me. It is up to the people who hired them. In that case those people have a vested interest in Marrone. None of them want to admit that there were wrong. The only reason that he was hired was because they campaigned for him. In addition SU is coming off its worst 4 year stretch in program history. They will use that as an excuse to say it takes time. We are already better than where we were. In addition they will say the move to the ACC will bump things up. Give him a year or two there as well to prove himself. Unless he totally falls apart, he will get 6 years. IMO it will be more likely 8.

I still back Doug and really think he can still change the program. If he wins this weekend that's back to back bowls for SU. Many people a few years ago would have been thrilled with that when Greg Robinson was fired. I would hold off the lynch mob until we see this Saturday's results against Pitt.

I think he gets next year but he better win. To say this team is more "competitive" than in the past 10 years is just wrong. He's built the team up to just below where it had fallen under Coach P. P was fired because that wasn't good enough. I was in favor of Marrone when he was hired. I was wrong. I was wrong because I thought that soemone who could recruit for Georgia Tech, Tennessee and Georgia would be able to recruit those players for SU. I was wrong because I thought that even though I knew he didn't call the Saints plays, that he had something to do with developing that offense and woudl fill our dome with balls flying all over the field. I was wrong for hoping he could coach up the players that were here already. (Actually that may still be right since few of his recruits are playing on offense yet.) I was wrong for hoping as an offensive lineman he woudl be able to mold a decent line out of anyone. To be honest I'm not sure what his positives are anymore other than he is not GRob. What should we expect? Everyone knows we have at least one more year of a QB who is serviceable at best but unable to compensate for weaknesses elsewhere. What about RB? Apparently it still seems a better play to run our 5'7" 201 lb (yeah right) TB up the middle on short yardage than our 244 lb TB. It's a dive play, if a freshman can't take a handoff and go straight why is he on the team?

I think he gets next year but he better win. To say this team is more "competitive" than in the past 10 years is just wrong. He's built the team up to just below where it had fallen under Coach P. P was fired because that wasn't good enough. I was in favor of Marrone when he was hired. I was wrong. I was wrong because I thought that soemone who could recruit for Georgia Tech, Tennessee and Georgia would be able to recruit those players for SU. I was wrong because I thought that even though I knew he didn't call the Saints plays, that he had something to do with developing that offense and woudl fill our dome with balls flying all over the field. I was wrong for hoping he could coach up the players that were here already. (Actually that may still be right since few of his recruits are playing on offense yet.) I was wrong for hoping as an offensive lineman he woudl be able to mold a decent line out of anyone. To be honest I'm not sure what his positives are anymore other than he is not GRob. What should we expect? Everyone knows we have at least one more year of a QB who is serviceable at best but unable to compensate for weaknesses elsewhere. What about RB? Apparently it still seems a better play to run our 5'7" 201 lb (yeah right) TB up the middle on short yardage than our 244 lb TB. It's a dive play, if a freshman can't take a handoff and go straight why is he on the team?

This is why I am pissed about the mannerisms, but less so in regards to the actual record. He has begun to cultivate the south, he has upped the offensive output, and he has brought us back to a competitive club. I firmly believe that this drought was brought on by something that happened midyear that we may not be aware of. I believe he has to get more ballsy, remember that this is supposed to be fun (for EVERYONE), and continue to learn from mistakes. But things are not nearly as bad as everyone says when it actually comes to talent, expectations, and development. To me, this is all about him refining his assistants and improving his delegation abilities. We need a special teams coach who can dedicate time and be held accountable, we need an experienced OC, and we need a recruiter. If he does this, the rest will take care of itself and the doubters will have to eat crow (this does include me to an extent, so not throwing others under the bus). If he doesn't, well, at least we can all be thankful that he has made the job a lot more attractive for a more experienced coach that otherwise would have never given the job a first thought, let alone second. That is a MAJOR factor that many outspoken doubters fail to acknowledge.

This is why I am pissed about the mannerisms, but less so in regards to the actual record. He has begun to cultivate the south, he has upped the offensive output, and he has brought us back to a competitive club.quote]

Have we really been competitive since the WVU game?

You realize Gross gave G-rob 4 years...

And next year will be Doug's 4th year. He is at least on the hot seat next year with a Pittsburgh loss.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

im sick of the mac talk-
macs teams played with heart and guts

he had special teams units that worked

the offense had some giddy up under mac-not the dead horse offense of marrone

if marrone cant show some offense next year and still has no athletes who can play football-no way he gets a extention-

we cant keep wasteing time on guys who cant get the job done at any level- macs teams werent complete failures at all aspects of the game

You do realize that Mac went 4-6-1, 2-9, and 6-5 his first three seasons right?

Offense had giddy up? His first four years they scored for the season in order 248 (Joe Morris), 159, 178, and 151 !!!

Giddy up!
Get a clue.

You do realize that Mac went 4-6-1, 2-9, and 6-5 his first three seasons right?

Offense had giddy up? His first four years they scored for the season in order 248 (Joe Morris), 159, 178, and 151 !!!

Giddy up!
Get a clue.
I love when people totally discredit revisionist history... makes me smile.

Not a chance DM gets fired. JB will not get fired unless he knew what was going on and I don't see anything showing that he did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom