How about classic SU games watching during | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How about classic SU games watching during

I actually want to see the UNC Asheville game from 2012. I was thoroughly convinced for most of that afternoon that Cuse was going to be the first 1 seed to lose to a 16.

The Asheville coach and analysts were all saying they got screwed by the officials. I think we might have gotten a call or two at the end, but I vividly remember getting the shaft on about 5 calls in the first half or the game wouldn’t have been close. And I’m not one to complain about officials.

I actually want to see the UNC Asheville game from 2012. I was thoroughly convinced for most of that afternoon that Cuse was going to be the first 1 seed to lose to a 16.

The Asheville coach and analysts were all saying they got screwed by the officials. I think we might have gotten a call or two at the end, but I vividly remember getting the shaft on about 5 calls in the first half or the game wouldn’t have been close. And I’m not one to complain about officials.

People who didn’t know the rule went crazy over that FT violation call. It was funny to me. Anyone that played ball knew that rule.

I’m pretty sure that’s also when Southerland was out and we replaced him in the lineup with freshman Jerami Grant.

Early 10s...The era when Dion Waiters and Jerami Grant came off the bench for us as freshmen. Amazing.

Yes. He had a big dunk down the stretch on a feed off a Triche drive. The defensive length down low with he Keita/Christmas and Fair made it impossible for Cincinnati to get anything inside. Also Triche and MCW stretched the zone out to the logo. You can do that with athletic guards.

Now I’m watching the 2013 BET semifinal with Georgetown. Keita and Cooney playing starring roles lol.

UNC Asheville definitely got a number of "underdog" calls in the first half. I remember watching the game at a bar near my office, and the guy a couple of seats away was actively rooting AGAINST SU - not rooting for the underdog, but AGAINST SU. I bit my tongue, but as I was leaving, I told the bartender that his next drink was on me, I offered my hand and said "better luck next year, man." Douche...hope he enjoyed his free Natty Light.

UNC Asheville definitely got a number of "underdog" calls in the first half. I remember watching the game at a bar near my office, and the guy a couple of seats away was actively rooting AGAINST SU - not rooting for the underdog, but AGAINST SU. I bit my tongue, but as I was leaving, I told the bartender that his next drink was on me, I offered my hand and said "better luck next year, man." Douche...hope he enjoyed his free Natty Light.

Southerland was huge that game. The rest of the team looked like they were sleepwalking.

My favorite thing in the postgame was when Jim Boeheim went nuclear at the NCAA officials.
They asked him to leave the podium and he was like I will leave when I am ready. The reason the refs missed the call out of bounds was because the UNC-A pushed Scoop out of bounds.

That PC was filed away by the NCAA when they went after us.

Last edited:
Yes. He had a big dunk down the stretch on a feed off a Triche drive. The defensive length down low with he Keita/Christmas and Fair made it impossible for Cincinnati to get anything inside. Also Triche and MCW stretched the zone out to the logo. You can do that with athletic guards.

Now I’m watching the 2013 BET semifinal with Georgetown. Keita and Cooney playing starring roles lol.
Cooney hit a critical corner 3 in the second half and I think Keita went like 8 for 8 from the FT line and he was 50% going into the game. Fair and MCW missed a lot of FTs that could have salted it away.

My friend thing in the postgame was when Jim Boeheim went nuclear at the NCAA officials.
They asked him to leave the podium and he was like I will leave when I am ready. The reason the refs missed the call out of bounds was because the UNC-A pushed Scoop out of bounds.

That PC was filed away by the NCAA when they went after us.

The NCAA did enough damage against us in the OSU game 9 days later...

Cooney hit a critical corner 3 in the second half and I think Keita went like 8 for 8 from the FT line and he was 50% going into the game. Fair and MCW missed a lot of FTs that could have salted it away.

Fair couldn’t make a thing in that game. Pretty sure he was something like 1-13 before he dunked on Porter in OT.

I remember second round we played Kansas State on St. Patrick's Day and Joe Biden was in the crowd.
Kansas State had a player who was solid and he was held out because they didn't know if he was eligible and the NCAA wasn't giving them an answer.
We won a tightish game pretty solidly at the end.
That was Frank Martin's last game at Kansas State.

I remember second round we played Kansas State on St. Patrick's Day and Joe Biden was in the crowd.
Kansas State had a player who was solid and he was held out because they didn't know if he was eligible and the NCAA wasn't giving them an answer.
We won a tightish game pretty solidly at the end.
That was Frank Martin's last game at Kansas State.

From what I hear locally, the relationship between Frank Martin and the AD was already really bad and the suspension of Jamar Samuels was the last straw.

From what I hear locally, the relationship between Frank Martin and the AD was already really bad and the suspension of Jamar Samuels was the last straw.
For some reason I thought the player was Billy Walker but that name sounds right.

Yeah I think by the next weekend when Martin was on CBS he already had the South Carolina job.

1996 Final Four win over Mississippi State.

This was a HUGE win. Few care because it wasn't a nail-biter, then was over-shadowed by the surprisingly competitive Final vs. loaded Kentucky. I had a flood of thoughts re-watching, but tried to limit to these:

-- Personal note: watched the game in '96 from a bar off South Street (artsy, hippie area) in Philly, partially owned at the time by SU alum/radio personality/scumbag Craig Carton.
-- Love how SU worked the ball inside on practically every possession thru the post or drive.
-- Otis Hill, one of my favorite SU players ever - bulk and skill inside. Multiple post moves, pump fakes, using his body to create space for buckets. Makes what Sidibe did in his "renaissance" look like CYO ball.
-- Wallace, obviously a stud you need to get that far. But in today's time of legitimate debate whether Coach is recruiting enough talent, he made a national final with a kid who barely played for 4 years (Sims), a JUCO (Cipolla), 2 lesser recruits (Hill & Burgan), and no bench. JB coached his tail off that year.
-- MSU crowd surprisingly loud, despite game being in the Meadowlands.
-- MSU would have blitzed us out of the tourney if they were not so inept with the ball. Last I saw, LATE in the YouTube, turnovers were 21-3 in our favor.
-- When MSU went zone in the second half, SU knew how to destroy it.
-- What happened to MSU Coach Richard Williams? - Program was poised for greatness, then disappeared as fast as it came.
-- Billy Packer mentioned (and I forgot) that SU's previous three NCAA exits came in OT (versus UMass, Missou, and Arkansas)...my, what the 90s could have been!
-- Seeing freshman QB / basketball walk-on Donovan McNabb on the bench.
-- When SU made the '96 Final Four, it was the first Big East FF team since Seton Hall in 1989. We old-heads talk about the early glory years, but need to admit the BE lived off reputation for a long while, until it found itself again in the 2000s

OK, not a very limited list of thoughts...but hey, we got nothing else to follow right now except the past!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom