How do you say Syracuse? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How do you say Syracuse?

I say Seer-a-cuse but the real question that I want the answer too is:

How do you say Syverud?

OK - this is pretty fine distinction, but the correct pronunciation is Sere-Cuse with a flat e. Almost Sarah , but slightly different.

Coney

a_sarah_i.jpg

I remember when she won the Gold Medal. People were saying Sarah Hughes won the Olympics. I said "We're a country now?" :eek:

Interesting. I'm definitely a Deer. I get the sense (could be 100% wrong) native CNYers, for the most part, are Bears, "outsiders" (myself included) are predominantly Deers.

"deer" for sure. Do not know where the rift originated between the two pronunciations (perhaps the soft 'Y' one is more mid-western in origin?). Anyways, I grew up on the East side, and I never heard it pronounced sarah-cuse, not once. I only started hearing it relatively recently when certain broadcasters used it while calling a game or on highlights. To me syr should be pronounced like syrup, or like the town in Italy that Syracuse is named for.

What do the announcers say? I think Mike Tirico may say seer. I would say Jay Bilas says sarah. Bill Raftery may just say the Cuse. Digger may also say seer, actually.

I am a deer. As are all right thinking Syracusans.

Oh, and it is coon-ey.

You cone-ey people, head over to Ra-cha-cha and drink some pop, eh?

i thought coneys were the most sarahcuse thing ever.

people from anywhere else think im from mars when i say coneys.

but you say seeracuse so what the hell do you know.

When I say it, the first syllable rhymes with the first syllable of "cirrus." It's neither deer nor bear.

Ask yourself this, how does EVERY English-speaking person on Earth properly pronounce "gyro", "syrup" and "tyranny" ????

Note, there're no "bears" in there.

Pronunciation debate OVER.
#TeamDeer

Deer. Only heard Sarah Cuse from outsiders from the south.

I'm also originally from Syracuse. Born there, grew up there, graduated high school there. I'm definitely a deer. I've only ever heard bears when watching the Orange on TV, as the majority of announcers pronounce it that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom