How do you say Syracuse? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How do you say Syracuse?

I'm in the "see-r" crowd as well.
Born and raised here.
I don't know what all the fuss is about though.

i havent pronounced the syra part of the word in so long i honestly cant remember.

'CUSE baby

SUSScuse said:
I'm in the "see-r" crowd as well. Born and raised here. I don't know what all the fuss is about though.

It's the off season.

Sarah-Cuse. Not sure I ever notice people saying 'Seer.' I'm sure they do though.

Did the Chancellor just solicit e-mails from 20,000 students on this? lol...what a dope. Get to work!! :)

I am a deer. As are all right thinking Syracusans.

Oh, and it is coon-ey.

You cone-ey people, head over to Ra-cha-cha and drink some pop, eh?

im kind of embarrassed here... but at least i admit when im a fool (sometimes).

But i had a brain fart yesterday. I always called them cooneys growing up and no cone-eys.

all these sara bear deer beer seera cone coon has my brain shut down.

im kind of embarrassed here... but at least i admit when im a fool (sometimes).

But i had a brain fart yesterday. I always called them cooneys growing up and no cone-eys.

all these sara bear deer beer seera cone coon has my brain shut down.
It's a cone-y and a soda (I swing both ways :)). Cooney is the guy we all argue about on this board!

Born and raised in North Syracuse, attended Cicero-North Syracuse High School, currently attend Syracuse University, and I've always pronounced it Sarah-cuse. That being said, both pronunciations are correct. The correct pronunciation is however natives of the area say it. This one is split almost evenly so both are accepted.

Here's some commonly mispronounced cities/towns:
Louisville is not Lou-ee-vile, it's Lou-a-vul.

Norfolk is not Nor-folk, it's Nor-fik.

Pawtucket is not Paw-tuck-it, it's Puh-tuck-it.

All based on how the locals say it.

Boeheim is in the deer category and I've always pronounced it that way. It bugs me to hear it pronounced otherwise!

Born, raised, and still live in Seer a cuse. I never noticed anyone call it Sarah cuse until I went to college at suny cortland. All the dbag long islanders were calling it that. I couldn't and still can't stand it.

I've also noticed some people around that call it Sur a cuse, which I dont mind.

I'd like to punch anyone that calls them a cooney or pop

Born and raised in North Syracuse, attended Cicero-North Syracuse High School, currently attend Syracuse University, and I've always pronounced it Sarah-cuse. That being said, both pronunciations are correct. The correct pronunciation is however natives of the area say it. This one is split almost evenly so both are accepted.

Here's some commonly mispronounced cities/towns:
Louisville is not Lou-ee-vile, it's Lou-a-vul.

Norfolk is not Nor-folk, it's Nor-fik.

Pawtucket is not Paw-tuck-it, it's Puh-tuck-it.

All based on how the locals say it.

lafayette is pronounced differently in every lafayette

From the Saratoga region (i say this because i believe we have a slightly different accent then people from Albany). My sister went to Syracuse in the 80s, and I in the 2000s. If someone asks me where i went to school i say Sara-cuse as does she. If someone asks where i lived (or where i may be going), i say Seeracuse. That's kinda messed up. I guess im no help in this matter.

Definitely a deer. I never hear anyone say Sarah-cuse.

Actually, now that I say it, I realize I don't even pronounce a middle syllable.

I think I say "Seer-cuse." Sort of like "Lou..ville" (which is how it's pronounced in that KY city).
Many natives pronounce it Lou-a-vul. I've been here over 20 years, but still say Louisville. And BTW, I pronounce that central NY city Seer-a-cuse (with middle syllable), but sometimes I guess it comes out Sir-a-cuse.

It's Seer - a - cuse, generally, if you are a local. It's Sarah-cuse if you hail from locales such as Long-guyland.

met my wife in Oswego she being from Syracuse me from Westchester county east of ny city. never realized the difference until she came home with me duringthe summer and was interrogated by my father. she said seer and he responded sarah, oh it's cold up there. well several years later wed and settle up state. they were unhappy, but our first house cost less than they paid in taxes. now I think the sarahs sound phony.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom