how does a redhot 6' player... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

how does a redhot 6' player...

So it’s changed. 20th or 27th it’s still very very good considering there are 300+teams. And you keep complaining about the zone which isnt going to change if it makes you feel better.
Yale is 50th at 31.0%. If we were 1.1% worse and in 51st place would this stat be any less impressive?

sometimes it’s more effective to work harder at what you actually practice than to roll out something you don’t work on.
It’s not about working harder - it’s about being smarter. As in let them have the foul line jumper. But you know how boehiem do.

in addition the guys getting the minutes have all been in the system and should by now know JB's zone like the back of their hand. we can't practice something else ? we have to keep drilling what they already know ?
or has the all orange all zone coaching staff forgotten or never learned how to play good MTM ?

Yale is 50th at 31.0%. If we were 1.1% worse and in 51st place would this stat be any less impressive?

Yale doesn’t play anyone. There’s teams ahead of us that don’t play anyone. You should factor in some who teams play. We play in the ACC. Not the Ivy.

Yale doesn’t play anyone. There’s teams ahead of us that don’t play anyone. You should factor in some who teams play. We play in the ACC. Not the Ivy.
Lol are you really focusing on Yale? Ok let me rephrase it... if we were in 51st place at 31.0% would that stat be any less impressive because of only 1.1% difference? At what point do you realize that being one-dimensional loses excuses and you're wrong? Somebody said, how cocky for JB to think that he's devised the one defense to beat all offenses. I couldn't have said it better. Nobody is better in any sport when they only have one tool, nobody.

Last edited:
Lol are you really focusing on Yale? Ok let me rephrase it... if we were in 51st place at 31.0% would that stat be any less impressive because of only 1.1% difference? At what point do you realize that being one-dimensional loses excuses and you're wrong? Somebody said, how cocky for JB to think that he's devised the one defense to beat all offenses. I couldn't have said it better. Nobody is better in any sport when they only have one tool, nobody.

I doubt JB sees all versions of our 3-2 as the same defense.

I also don’t have the impression that he considers himself to be the father of the zone., but whatever.

I doubt JB sees all versions of our 3-2 as the same defense.

I also don’t have the impression that he considers himself to be the father of the zone., but whatever.
Sometimes, like last night, a variation of the zone makes no difference. Zone is zone. We needed a body glued on Johnson for every second he was on that floor and it didn't happen. The guy himself said he couldn't believe how open he was. Seriously this is getting old.

Sometimes, like last night, a variation of the zone makes no difference. Zone is zone. We needed a body glued on Johnson for every second he was on that floor and it didn't happen. The guy himself said he couldn't believe how open he was. Seriously this is getting old.

Ok I’ll humor you. We switch to man. Now just because we switch the defense doesn’t mean we play it effectively, so who is that lock down defender that was going to shut him down?

Ok I’ll humor you. We switch to man. Now just because we switch the defense doesn’t mean we play it effectively, so who is that lock down defender that was going to shut him down?
Humor me. Who is our best defender? Best athlete?

Humor me. Who is our best defender? Best athlete?

I don’t know you are the one clamoring for us to play man to shut down the hot hand.

Buzz Williams does an excellent job against the zone. He had #4 at the high post one big low and three shooters around the perimeter. Tech moved the ball well and got great looks inside and out. Honestly this was the kind of game where I found Hop’s idea of multiple defenses appealing. Tech is just a really bad matchup for this team.
Thank you! I really wish hop was still here cuz Washington plays great defense so obviously what he does works on a consistent basis. With Bay Haim because he's so dang stubborn it's zone or bust that's it, and it's so frustrating

Thank you! I really wish hop was still here cuz Washington plays great defense so obviously what he does works on a consistent basis. With Bay Haim because he's so dang stubborn it's zone or bust that's it, and it's so frustrating
Do you realize Hopkins team got lit up as well by buzz

SYRACUSE and Duke's ZONES (came across this for those who need reminding //article last year )

What is a zone defense?
“A zone defense is exactly how it sounds. Instead of playing a typical man-to-man offense, like you see in the NBA, teams dictate different zones of the court for each of their five players to defend. In Duke and Cuse’s case, they play a 2-3 zone.
A 2-3 zone typically places two guards on either side of the free throw line. They are to defend anyone that comes into their region from the foul line out past the three-point arc. As the offense moves the ball to either side, each defender cheats a little more to the opposite side, anticipating where the next pass will land.
The “3” in 2-3 zone represents the three wings and big men who create the backline of the defense. The tallest of the three is usually placed in the middle to protect the basket from layups and dunks, and the smaller two are placed on either side of him. Just like the guards, the bigs cheat either way depending on where the offense reverses the ball.
This type of defense is meant to coerce teams to shoot semi-contested threes or dare them to attack the lane with beasts awaiting their arrival at the bottom of the zone.
Why has the zone worked for Duke?
Length.
Duke’s inexperience showed earlier in the season — it starts four freshmen — and when they can ride on the heels of their gifted intangibles, their lives become a heck of a lot easier. There’s less thought or verbal communication necessary for a zone to thrive. It’s more about precision and skill (and long arms!)
When defense becomes a game of guarding a space — not specifically a person — by spreading your abnormally long frame, things become a lot simpler.
The zone has helped hide a lot of the defensive deficiencies of Duke’s bigs.
Cuse
Yep. Head coach Jim Boeheim has made a Hall of Fame career out of running the most effective zone in college hoops. He recruits for it.
He may not have Bagley or Carter, but in 7’2 Paschal Chukwu and 6’9 Marek Dolezaj he has something close on the defensive end.
There’s a reason Michigan State shot 26 percent from the field and 22 percent from three-point range against them Michigan State led 48-43 on a basket with 5:41 remaining, but his hoop proved to be the Spartans' last field goal. The Syracuse zone suffocated the Spartans for the remainder of the game. Michigan State missed its last 13 attempts from floor and the Orange outscored the Spartans 12-5 during that span to emerge victorious.
Why do fans hate zone defense?
There’s a stigma that implies zone defense is for the lazy, or the incompetent. You don’t see zone defense played in pickup games around the country, and that’s probably where the connotation stems from.
For Duke, there’s another layer, and not only just because they are America’s most polarizing basketball school. The Blue Devils have one of, if not the most star-studded lineups in the nation. The notion that they need a zone to win despite five-star recruits crowding their rotation is embarrassing to some.
On a more general scale, zone defenses are also less aesthetically pleasing to watch. They typically slow the game down and entice teams to hoist shots from deep. That doesn’t make for the offensive-driven 40 minutes most casual fans turn the TV on to watch.”
But can we win with the JB zone????
GOSU :)

g.
I bet those people were not standing in the same spot for both hits.

And yes, it does strike the same spot more than once--if you are asking for it, like the lightning rod atop the Empire State Bldg.

And, on the rare occasion, it can hit a flat area more than once. But the odds against that are 10 to the nth power, not twice in 4 years.

I was just being silly,not really talking about lightening in the context of this thread. I was kind of hoping to make up for a a previous night of posting that I wasnt particularly proud of with something light hearted. JB really has his work cut out for him, but he's someone I wouldnt want to bet against.

I'm not a casual fan. I've been following Syracuse for a good 25 years, watch almost every single game they played for that time. it's not that I don't like the zone a lot of the time if it's played right you can win most games with it. what's he butt against certain teams like Pittsburgh during the Jamie Dixon teams for example they would tear the Zone apart the majority of the time and just those few times where I might not be working out so well try something different for a short time and then go back to it possibly just to maybe keep them on their toes that's all.

I was just being silly,not really talking about lightening in the context of this thread. I was kind of hoping to make up for a a previous night of posting that I wasnt particularly proud of with something light hearted. JB really has his work cut out for him, but he's someone I wouldnt want to bet against.
I wouldn't bet against him either.

and I'm not surprised at all because I think Buzz Williams knows how to attack the zone

JB's Program Accomplishments since 1975
  • Led Syracuse University to a national championship (2003)
  • Led Syracuse University to 3 national championship game appearances
    1987,1996, 2003
  • Led Syracuse University to 5 Final Four appearances
    1987,1996, 2003, 2013, 2016
  • Led Syracuse University to 7 Elite Eight appearances
    1987, 1989, 1996, 2003, 2012, 2013, 2016
  • Led Syracuse University to 19 Sweet Sixteen appearances
    1977,1979, 1980, 1984, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2018
  • Led Syracuse University to 33 NCAA Tournament appearances
    1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986,1987, 1988, 1989, 1990,1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018)
  • Led Syracuse University to ten Big East regular season championships
    1980, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1998*, 2000, 2003, 2010, 2012 two division champions were crowned as regular champions.
  • Led Syracuse University to five Big East tournament championships 1981,1988, 1992, 2005, 2006
  • Leads all Big East coaches (past and present) in wins (366)
  • Ranks sixth among active Division I coaches (min. 10 years) in winning percentage (.750)
  • In 43 seasons at Syracuse, has compiled 34 20-win seasons, good for most on the all-time list
  • Became only the 14th coach ever to reach 750 wins (2007)
  • Four-time Big East Coach of the Year (1984, 1991, 2000, 2010)
  • USA Basketball's National Coach of the Year (2001)
  • Under Boeheim, the Orange have only missed the NCAA Tournament two years in a row twice
  • In recognition of Boeheim's numerous accomplishments as SU's head coach, the University named the Carrier Dome court "Jim Boeheim Court" on February 24, 2002.
  • Basketball Hall of Fame (2005) as a coach
  • Joined Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Calhoun as the third active coach with 800 wins.
  • Coached the Orange to a six overtime win against the UConn Huskies, 127–117, the longest game in the history of Big East Conference play.
  • Named 2010 Naismith Coach of the Year (along with the same honor from the AP, Sporting News and many others) after leading Syracuse to an unexpected 30–5 record.
  • Since becoming a member of the ACC:
2013 – 14 – 28 – 6

2014 - 15 - 18 – 13

2015 - 16 - 23 - 14

2016 - 17 - 19 - 15

2017 - 18 - 23 – 14

2018 - 19 - 14 - 6 so far

JB's record: 1041 – 377 - .734

Yep, as you can see from the above the zone just doesn't work. His totals just don't add up.
We should definitely go to a man to man D. Yeah and just to make sure, let's start talking about his replacement again – someone who really knows how to win and will only play man. And just to be safe lets have that new coach in waiting and maybe even help to nudge JB out cause he's just not good for the program anymore. ;) GOSU :) P.S. Cuse#1 put this together only for you.

Keep telling yourself that it was just a statistical aberration. Tech shot pretty close to their averages from deep. They got whatever shot they wanted because we had no post defense. The way we collapse on the post you’d think that midrange shot is worth 6 points. It defies logic.
I would like some of your analytics after a win one time.

and I'm not surprised at all because I think Buzz Williams knows how to attack the zone

They shot 34% against us last year and we beat them by 12 in a game that was never close with all the same major players playing.

Buzz is so great at attacking us he had lost 5 out of 6 against JB coming into Saturday’s game.

Of course it does. Just ask NC

That’s one team, and a top 10ish team at that. What about the other 15 teams they beat? I bet at least 75% of them played m2m and were unsuccessful.

I would like some of your analytics after a win one time.
As in life there is more to be learned from failure than success. Same with wins and losses. When we win I’d prefer to be out doing something with that positive energy than spending all my time here. This place is like fortnite for adults. No offense.

They shot 34% against us last year and we beat them by 12 in a game that was never close with all the same major players playing.

Buzz is so great at attacking us he had lost 5 out of 6 against JB coming into Saturday’s game.

This is one of Buzz's best teams, at least based upon ranking. I imagine, other than the great FF run with MCW, that our teams were favored/better than the teams Buzz had?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom