How Does JB Address This? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How Does JB Address This?

And if you think this is some moral failing by Bazley or shows a lack of integrity then I don’t know what to tell you. Even in the legal context the law does not consider even an intentional breach to be immoral or malicious. It just potentially triggers rights by the other party to recover. The notion that he broke his word and in doing so lacked integrity (but no worry to Ohio state bc thst was verbal) is completely ridiculous.
He decommitted from Ohio State because Thad Matta had announced that he was stepping down and leaving. While the Buckeye fans had a right to be upset over it, that situation is completely different than backing out of a LOI in the spring.

Did he have the right to back out of the LOI with Syracuse? Sure, absolutely. Does it look terrible for him and do our fans have a right to be upset about it? You bet.

Bazeley's perspective/rationalization:
SU — HoF coach, sure, but for a championship won eons ago. Team plays a non-pro defense. Team plays super-slow, non-scoring offense. How much coaching do I get from the super-old guy? My position coach never played my position. I can't practice as much as I want. I have to take classes, too? Meal card?

G — learn from ex-NBA coaches and assistants. Play and practice against better competition. Begin my career NBA-adjacent. Get my tricked-out whip and hang with pros and celebs NOW. Hundred grand in my pocket that ain't a candy bar. I disrupted the system—me! I'm the Rosa Parks of basketball!

Not really "nuts."

I agree with the rest. I really have no interest in watching college sports if they pay players, if the quality of play continues to be diminished by one and done or the rule changes to allow direct from HS to the NBA.
Okay. But why aren't other guys doing that? Duke got the three top guys this year and they played zone all year. K is no spring chicken. If this becomes a trend, we will see.

He decommitted from Ohio State because Thad Matta had announced that he was stepping down and leaving. While the Buckeye fans had a right to be upset over it, that situation is completely different than backing out of a LOI in the spring.

Did he have the right to back out of the LOI with Syracuse? Sure, absolutely. Does it look terrible for him and do our fans have a right to be upset about it? You bet.
I don't think that is true at all. I think, and I might be wrong, that he bailed on the Ohio state University before Matta was shown the door.

I don't think that is true at all. I think, and I might be wrong, that he bailed on the Ohio state University before Matta was shown the door.
See, I remember it being the other way around. Matta stepped down, Bazley decommitted shortly afterward, and Griff got on him immediately. Maybe someone can clear this up for us.

See, I remember it being the other way around. Matta stepped down, Bazley decommitted shortly afterward, and Griff got on him immediately. Maybe someone can clear this up for us.
Bazley bailed on Ohio st in April of 2017. Matta resigned in June of 2017. You owe me $1100 for the bet I made in my head.

Correct. He said it was because he wanted to get to the NBA and liked Syracuse’s track record of getting kids drafted over the last 6-8 years and didn’t like Ohio States track record in that regard

Okay. But why aren't other guys doing that? Duke got the three top guys this year and they played zone all year. K is no spring chicken. If this becomes a trend, we will see.
I'm not suggesting it's the best route to his destination. I'm just saying the confluence of factors in the Pro/Cons list makes it not "nuts" as the previous poster said.
Duke is just different. Regardless of how much zone duke played this year, they still don't have the same stigma we have. And add to the + column for duke, you're expecting to finish 1 or 2 in the league. You're expecting to have three guys drafted in the top 10. You're expecting to practice against 7 other McD guys. Nate James prolly has a better resume as a bigs coach than... whoever we have.

Hope it's not a trend, but if there are no restrictions for how much money companies can pump directly into a recruit's hands, i'm not sure why it won't be. A LOT of kids would rather go straight to the nba and avoid the classroom, compliance, and dorm rooms. If they can get $50k+ cash for a season and not have to take Astronomy 101, why not? It's unfortunate for us that it was our player who will be the test rabbit.

Bazley bailed on Ohio st in April of 2017. Matta resigned in June of 2017. You owe me $1100 for the bet I made in my head.
My memory is rubbish, but i thought it was a known thing that Matta was going to be gone, and Bazeley's decision was based on that. Not true?

My memory is rubbish, but i thought it was a known thing that Matta was going to be gone, and Bazeley's decision was based on that. Not true?
Well, Matta wasn't gone until months later. but I have no idea what bazley knew and when he knew it and when it mattered to him.

Jim might start by creating a relationship with his recruits. The fact that he was blindsided by this speaks volumes.

No it doesn't. Some people are vindictive and lack character. It's really that simple.

I don't like looking at this in the manner most favorable to Bazely because he doesn't deserve it.
But...it's possible this is less about money next year and more about the level of competition.

In college he'd get a lot more notoriety and be able to build himself and his game.
But In the G-League he gets to go against "almost" NBA guys every game.
Maybe he believes that much in himself and in the idea that iron sharpens iron...he thinks that's the best way to improve his game for the NBA.

Even if that's true he still should have given SU a heads up.
Jerking a program around like that so it can't fill it's holes is just as bad as a team jerking around a player.

Did JB ever go to one of his games, meet his family?

Did JB ever go to one of his games, meet his family?
Where do you get this crap, and why do you consistently put stuff like this out there?

I don't like looking at this in the manner most favorable to Bazely because he doesn't deserve it.
But...it's possible this is less about money next year and more about the level of competition.

In college he'd get a lot more notoriety and be able to build himself and his game.
But In the G-League he gets to go against "almost" NBA guys every game.
Maybe he believes that much in himself and in the idea that iron sharpens iron...he thinks that's the best way to improve his game for the NBA.

Even if that's true he still should have given SU a heads up.
Jerking a program around like that so it can't fill it's holes is just as bad as a team jerking around a player.

I don't think he gives a toss about that tbh.

He put his big boy's pants on an sees himself as a trailblazer for new dichotomy.

Syracuse?? Whatevs... small salt potatoes.

Where do you get this crap, and why do you consistently put stuff like this out there?
Its a question. Do you know the answer?

Bazeley's perspective/rationalization:
SU — HoF coach, sure, but for a championship won eons ago. Team plays a non-pro defense. Team plays super-slow, non-scoring offense. How much coaching do I get from the super-old guy? My position coach never played my position. I can't practice as much as I want. I have to take classes, too? Meal card?

G — learn from ex-NBA coaches and assistants. Play and practice against better competition. Begin my career NBA-adjacent. Get my tricked-out whip and hang with pros and celebs NOW. Hundred grand in my pocket that ain't a candy bar. I disrupted the system—me! I'm the Rosa Parks of basketball!

Not really "nuts."

I agree with the rest. I really have no interest in watching college sports if they pay players, if the quality of play continues to be diminished by one and done or the rule changes to allow direct from HS to the NBA.
I believe there’s a lot of truth in what you said. Bazley didn’t think the Orange “product” would allow him to bedazzle. He doesn’t want to play on a team. He wants to be The One. In the NBA, not in college. It’s all NBA for him, obviously. So imagine if this young man had come to Syracuse, but he wasn’t a team player. He begins to get on the other players’ nerves. He gets into fights with Boeheim and other coaches. Etc. Drama drama drama.

Do we want this? No. Might we have gotten this? More and more I am thinking YES.

I believe there’s a lot of truth in what you said. Bazley didn’t think the Orange “product” would allow him to bedazzle. He doesn’t want to play on a team. He wants to be The One. In the NBA, not in college. It’s all NBA for him, obviously. So imagine if this young man had come to Syracuse, but he wasn’t a team player. He begins to get on the other players’ nerves. He gets into fights with Boeheim and other coaches. Etc. Drama drama drama.

Do we want this? No. Might we have gotten this? More and more I am thinking YES.
Yes he’s all about himself and not someone who would make the team better. Talent would win you some games but me first attitude would lose you some games make the team worse. Give me the guys who want to be here and want to play for the team

I'm not suggesting it's the best route to his destination. I'm just saying the confluence of factors in the Pro/Cons list makes it not "nuts" as the previous poster said.
Duke is just different. Regardless of how much zone duke played this year, they still don't have the same stigma we have. And add to the + column for duke, you're expecting to finish 1 or 2 in the league. You're expecting to have three guys drafted in the top 10. You're expecting to practice against 7 other McD guys. Nate James prolly has a better resume as a bigs coach than... whoever we have.

Hope it's not a trend, but if there are no restrictions for how much money companies can pump directly into a recruit's hands, i'm not sure why it won't be. A LOT of kids would rather go straight to the nba and avoid the classroom, compliance, and dorm rooms. If they can get $50k+ cash for a season and not have to take Astronomy 101, why not? It's unfortunate for us that it was our player who will be the test rabbit.

Duke could still score and not plod along on offense. If it’s true that some factors in the decision had to do with the zone and slow pace then I guess I get it. I suppose it would be an issue with playing with Frank as well re: pace. Or unless he received some sort of indication from the staff in recent month or so that the running days are over and he wouldn’t be allowed to push the pace and handle the ball so much? What did Boeheim tell him from the beginning then. Obviously some people in his camp got in his ear as anti-Syracuse lately. Why then? He’s the ONLY dude doing this from the Burger game. Can’t be just beacuse of the G-League. Why would some agent give him a huge deal right now anyways. He’s not even close to proven or a sure thing!

It is a trend, and it hurts - the first "none and done". JB is not gonna be happy.

gif_temp.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom