How does UConn’s move to the NBE affect us? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How does UConn’s move to the NBE affect us?

The biggest impact to SU recruiting will be who is the next HC, and who are the assistants.
Need to go outside, and bring in the BB Dino.
We have a premier conference affiliation, a rich history, fertile recruiting grounds, and a MASSIVE stadium.

Dino is a great coach, but we need to hire BB Saban and arm him to the teeth with every advantage that he can. JAB built a great program. We need someone to stand on his shoulders and make it ruthlessly dominant.

Last edited:
Don’t bother you much? St. john’s has been beating Cuse yearly lately. Cuse even dropped the series because of it. Of course UConn fell off after Calhoun. He’s one of the best coaches In the history of Ncaa ball. Once Boeheim is gone, a stalwart for many decades, I think it’s going to be a rude awakening. Only reason Cuse is staying afloat in a league like the ACC that is totally out of region is Boeheim.

Really makes you think.

Don’t bother you much? St. john’s has been beating Cuse yearly lately. Cuse even dropped the series because of it. Of course UConn fell off after Calhoun. He’s one of the best coaches In the history of Ncaa ball. Once Boeheim is gone, a stalwart for many decades, I think it’s going to be a rude awakening. Only reason Cuse is staying afloat in a league like the ACC that is totally out of region is Boeheim.
St Johns has defeated Syracuse 3 times in a row but lost 15 of the previous 16 games with Syracuse.

The series wasn’t cancelled but was not extended due to lack of fan interest. St John’s has gotten so bad that no one cares about them any longer, including their own former fans.

Sorry your program collapsed. Hope some day you can make the NIT. It is good to have dreams.

Having lived on Long Iisland for a couple years, I miss St. John's.
Those days aren't coming back soon. They were awesome 82-88.

Last edited:
Congrats you beat us in the meaningless regular season of college basketball 3 times.
The regular season is meaningless in college basketball. The sport is a 1 month sport nationally.

Since we have left the BE, NCAA tournament wins.
Syracuse-8 NCAAT wins, 1 Final Four
St. John’s- 1 NCAAT win, 0 Final Four.

St. John’s is irrelevant for Syracuse fans. The game means nothing the only compelling part of the series is
It gets our alums a game at MSG.
We have been using UConn for the MSG games so no need to play you guys.
Our biggest BE rival is Georgetown we have played them the last 4 years and will play them the next 4 years.
With the ACC/Big Ten challenge and annual holiday tournament there is no need for the St. John’s game for our fanbase.

St. John’s isn’t even the series Syracuse fans would add if we added another Big East team it’s Villanova.

Congrats on adding UConn. Enjoy dealing them.

You say that UConn and St. John's beating SU consistently the last few years doesn't matter, doesn't count, whatever. Is that how you feel immediately after those games? Because I don't and it bothers me a lot.

Sure Syracuse has the better, more consistent program than the other two over the past several years but in fact the regular season does count and OOC losses count and games against traditional rivals count.

You think the Orange went into those games thinking they didn't matter, that losing to UConn & SJU didn't impact tourney seeding?

Stop trashing those programs until your team starts beating them.

You say that UConn and St. John's beating SU consistently the last few years doesn't matter, doesn't count, whatever. Is that how you feel immediately after those games? Because I don't and it bothers me a lot.

Sure Syracuse has the better, more consistent program than the other two over the past several years but in fact the regular season does count and OOC losses count and games against traditional rivals count.

You think the Orange went into those games thinking they didn't matter, that losing to UConn & SJU didn't impact tourney seeding?

Lol. No, I stand by my post 100%.
Where did I say the games don’t count?
I said they are meaningless because they are regular season nonconference games.
College basketball is irrelevant nationally from November till March.
Making the tournament is all that matters and winning games there.
The rest of your post thanks for the chuckle. St. John’s is not a rival they are a former conference opponent. Our fans weren’t circling those games for anything more than a game at MSG for NYC alums.

Lol. No, I stand by my post 100%.
I said they are meaningless because they are regular season nonconference games.
College basketball is irrelevant nationally from November till March.
The rest of your post thanks for the chuckle.

Okay but what if the situation was reversed? St. John's had the better program and the Orange couldn't sniff the tournament yet we beat the Johnnies three years in a row?

You'd be crowing to every St. John's fan how their stellar program couldn't even beat our loser team and you'd be right. Beat them, then talk trash. In the meantime give them credit.

Okay but what if the situation was reversed? St. John's had the better program and the Orange couldn't sniff the tournament yet we beat the Johnnies three years in a row?

You'd be crowing to every St. John's fan how their stellar program couldn't even beat our loser team and you'd be right. Beat them, then talk trash. In the meantime give them credit.
Actually no I wouldn’t. Rutgers beat us at the RAC the year we won the NC.
They don’t talk smack about that.

Regular season college basketball games are irrelevant. The sport has no juice nationally. We lost games to them and if we win in March I could careless. The NCAA tournament matters.

The Miami Dolphins have beaten the New England Patriots the last 3 years in a row in Miami.
The Patriots have been in the Super Bowl the last 3 years and won 2 of them.
Do Patriots fans give a chit they have lost in Miami those games?

I think 'don't count' and 'meaningless' kinda mean the same thing.

Correct, and winning games in the 'meaningless' regular season affects tourney seeding which effects odds of advancing.

The rest of your post thanks for the chuckle. St. John’s is not a rival they are a former conference opponent. Our fans weren’t circling those games for anything more than a game at MSG for NYC alums.

I'm glad I made you laugh, people do generally think I'm an amusing guy. St. John's was a much a Big East rival as Georgetown, Villanova and UConn and if you disagree with that then you are much, much younger than me.

Actually no I wouldn’t. Rutgers beat us at the RAC the year we won the NC.
They don’t talk smack about that.

This is a bad example. Rutgers never beat SU, not consistently anyway and as you said, the one year they did, SU won the whole thing. Not much to crow about.

Regular season college basketball games are irrelevant.

You have to make up your mind here. Are they irrelevant, meaningless or do they not count?

The Miami Dolphins have beaten the New England Patriots the last 3 years in a row in Miami.
The Patriots have been in the Super Bowl the last 3 years and won 2 of them.
Do Patriots fans give a chit they have lost in Miami those games?

Maybe not but if I'm a Miami fan, at least my team's got their number. And it's not like Syracuse hoops is the New England Patriots of college bball.

This is a bad example. Rutgers never beat SU, not consistently anyway and as you said, the one year they did, SU won the whole thing. Not much to crow about.

You have to make up your mind here. Are they irrelevant, meaningless or do they not count?

Maybe not but if I'm a Miami fan, at least my team's got their number. And it's not like Syracuse hoops is the New England Patriots of college bball.
In terms of a rivalry
St. John’s hoops to Syracuse hoops is
Syracuse football to Penn State football.

SJU beat us 3 years in a row...after losing 15 of 16 before that. Personally, i lost no sleep from those losses because in the bigger picture, they were irrelevant.
We lost to UConn, GTown, and Nova in recent years, and it stung of course, but as a practical matter, meant absolutely squat.
If I’m fan of those teams, I’ll gladly crow about beating SU. But, we’re no longer conference mates, so the impact of those losses was fairly minimal, IMO.
Like it or not MCBB is all about March. A loss to an ACC team in s of far more consequence now then a loss to a former OBE team, that’s just facts. Do we wanna beat them, sure...I wanna beat every team and go undefeated. But is a loss the killer big deal it once was? No, not in the least. Sad, but true.

SJU beat us 3 years in a row...after losing 15 of 16 before that. Personally, i lost no sleep from those losses because in the bigger picture, they were irrelevant.

Well, not really, because we missed out on the NCAA tournament at least one of those years, didn't we? And wasn't that really big loss to St. John's humiliating?
Who needs that?

Well, not really, because we missed out on the NCAA tournament at least one of those years, didn't we? And wasn't that really big loss to St. John's humiliating?
Who needs that?
Fair enough. Biut we started losing regurlarly to SJU after the sanctions hit. I don't think that was a coincidence. The year we lost to them and missed the Dance, was I believe, the same year we knocked off Duke on Gillion's buzzer-beater at the Dome. SJU was another loss on a string of bad losses that season- we just weren't very good, especially defensively.
As for "humiliation"...meh. We scored 39 pts vs GTown one year and beat them a week later at MSG, and made the F4. So, its all relative. Humiliate me in February...as long as I beat you in March! JMHO

You've chosen this hill to die on in several threads now.

Odd.

You've chosen this hill to die on in several threads now.

Odd.

Well, I’m not certain what is ‘odd’ about it and I’m not dying on any hills either.

I have a point of view that may be different from yours. I like discussing these things on forums like this because I find it interesting to hear other’s opinions. I find it especially interesting when opinions are completely different than mine. Gives me whole new perspectives sometimes.

I like to say what I think and hear what other people think. That’s all.

Well, I’m not certain what is ‘odd’ about it and I’m not dying on any hills either.

I have a point of view that may be different from yours. I like discussing these things on forums like this because I find it interesting to hear other’s opinions. I find it especially interesting when opinions are completely different than mine. Gives me whole new perspectives sometimes.

I like to say what I think and hear what other people think. That’s all.

I can appreciate/understand your perspective, especially if you are a more "seasoned fan" that has been around the block. ;):) It's always easy in hindsight, for people to argue those games 'didn't matter' in the larger realm, especially after the season played out, but when those results are in the "moment" I'd bet many of those same fans/posters were somewhat pissed. How could one not be? Again, in the "moment." I know that game a couple years back in the Dome right before Christmas when the Jonnies had a friggin dunk fest where we lost by 30 something was absolutely embarrassing & pathetic. And, immediately afterwards, I wasn't a happy camper at all...I can't imagine any SU fan (especially an 'ol rival) being anything but at the time.

It would've been interesting to hear JB's response immediately after those games...and whether or not the game(s) 'mattered' a wink to him. ;)

Last edited:
We lost to UConn, GTown, and Nova in recent years, and it stung of course, but as a practical matter, meant absolutely squat.

Well, we missed the tournament a couple years when we lost to these old rivals, and certainly didn't do ourselves any favors trying to recruit northeast kids against these programs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom