How in the world was Jimmy not criticized, but JG, CS and JE were? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How in the world was Jimmy not criticized, but JG, CS and JE were?

I'll be honest, I kind of feel bad for Jimmy.

He probably dreamed his entire life of playing for his Dad. He finally gets his opportunity, and the team is having its worst season in 46 years. I feel like it would be impossible for him not to blame himself a little bit and second guess whether it was the right decision for everyone.

But to be clear, the situation is 0% his fault. He has a role on this team, it should just be in a 15-minute 7th man role and not a 35-minute starter role.
Absolutely, 100%. It’s really a bummer imo.

He probably dreamed his entire life of playing for his Dad. He finally gets his opportunity, and the team is having its worst season in 46 years. I feel like it would be impossible for him not to blame himself a little bit and second guess whether it was the right decision for everyone.

But to be clear, the situation is 0% his fault. He has a role on this team, it should just be in a 15-minute 7th man role and not a 35-minute starter role.

1643211753795.jpeg

Lastly, and I have said this before, refs let teams that play man defense get away with much more contact than zone. It's why Buddy and Joe are having such a hard time. Defenses see that they can ride a player with hand-checking and jabs/pushes even way outside. It's killed Buddy and Joe. While I think it is also illegal, the refs don't call it so it really doesn't matter.
Yeah, Buddy gets away with using his off hand constantly on his drives to the basket, and frequently uses his shoulder to attempt to clear space as well that could result in an offensive foul call. I'm good with how the refs have called most of our games this year.

Joe has a hard time because he's not a PG and isn't quick enough to get separation. It's not because he's getting fouled.

He’s old as dirt to be a college b-ball coach. This is why people retire at 65 in most fields.

Father Time catches up to everyone. He can’t do it anymore
Yeah, it seems like maybe having a 78-year old coach trying to lead 18-22 year old players might not be the best choice in 2022.

I still think it's startling that Coach K's grandson played against JB's two sons despite JB being 3 years older thank K.

Yeah, it seems like maybe having a 78-year old coach trying to lead 18-22 year old players might not be the best choice in 2022.

I still think it's startling that Coach K's grandson played against JB's two sons despite JB being 3 years older thank K.
JB has always been this way though. The difference in the past is he always had top notch assistants. If he just sat back and coached a loaded team on game days, we would be ok. We went from Fine, Hop, Murphy to Red, GMac, Griff.

Yeah, Buddy gets away with using his off hand constantly on his drives to the basket, and frequently uses his shoulder to attempt to clear space as well that could result in an offensive foul call. I'm good with how the refs have called most of our games this year.

Joe has a hard time because he's not a PG and isn't quick enough to get separation. It's not because he's getting fouled.
I was talking about the defenders...they are allowed to hand check and jab and Buddy and Joe can't handle it. It's part of the reason they can't get separation... the defenders are allowed to hand check. Technically, that hand checking and jabbing = foul.

"When a defensive player continually jabs by extending his arm(s) and placing a
hand or forearm on the opponent, it is a personal foul."

Buddy using his offhand offensively is a different matter.

Last edited:
JB wants to petition the NCAA.

As of last week, Jimmy wasn't sold on coming back.

Yeah, I believe Junior and Buddy when they say they don’t want to come back. I think they’re done.

I also think JB reeeeeally wants both of them to come back. He’s trying to convince them and petitioning the NCAA is part of that process.

Jimmy is at his ceiling, Jesse isn't close. I can see why Jesse gets pushed, there's a lot more there to unlock.

The Jesse stuff to me is a lot more self evident than Benny. Lots of theories there and it's kinda pointless at this juncture.

Perhaps.

Or, perhaps, JB possibly deflecting, which he's certainly a master of. Did you see his presser? I mean, he goes on about how Jesse just isn't strong enough, and when bumped, easily gets off his mark/negatively impacted, etc. Well, whose program is this? Who recruits and brings these consistent bean pole type players in? Who hires the strength and conditioning coach, etc. Perhaps, JB should look in the frigging mirror? However, there's absolutely no way he's doing that as it would then be a piss poor reflection on him, his program, horrendous roster management, etc. It's far easier to deflect and simply pass the onus elsewhere.

Go to the approx. 5 minute mark of last night's presser. He talks and motions about how Jesse gets to the foul line and then changes his shot mid stroke, etc. To me, that screams coaching deficiencies, etc., yet JB deflects even further along with his trademark snarky/seemingly puzzled typical grin. Not to mention, even bringing such a specific up, let alone airing this out publicly. I mean what? How is that motivational ("pushing Jesse") if that is indeed what his true intent is there. It's really cringeworthy to watch and observe.

Perhaps. Or, perhaps, JB possibly deflecting, which he's certainly a master of. Did you see his presser? I mean, he goes on about how Jesse just isn't strong enough, and when bumped, easily gets off his mark/negatively impacted, etc. Well, whose program is this? Who recruits and brings these consistent bean pole type players in? Who hires the strength and conditioning coach, etc. Perhaps, JB should look in the frigging mirror? However, there's absolutely no way he's doing that as it would then be a piss poor reflection on him, his program, horrendous roster management, etc. It's far easier to deflect and simply pass the onus elsewhere.

Go to the approx. 5 minute mark of last night's presser. He talks and motions about how Jesse gets to the foul line and then changes his shot mid stroke, etc. To me, that screams coaching deficiencies, etc., yet JB deflects even further along with his trademark snarky typical grin. Not to mention, even bring that specific up, let alone airing this out publicly. I mean what? How is that motivational ("pushing Jesse") if that is indeed what his true intent is there. It's really cringeworthy to watch and observe.
My biggest issue is airing it publicly as you mentioned too. Keep it in-house. Keep working on things in practice. No need to call it out in press conferences.

Perhaps.

Or, perhaps, JB possibly deflecting, which he's certainly a master of. Did you see his presser? I mean, he goes on about how Jesse just isn't strong enough, and when bumped, easily gets off his mark/negatively impacted, etc. Well, whose program is this? Who recruits and brings these consistent bean pole type players in? Who hires the strength and conditioning coach, etc. Perhaps, JB should look in the frigging mirror? However, there's absolutely no way he's doing that as it would then be a piss poor reflection on him, his program, horrendous roster management, etc. It's far easier to deflect and simply pass the onus elsewhere.

Go to the approx. 5 minute mark of last night's presser. He talks and motions about how Jesse gets to the foul line and then changes his shot mid stroke, etc. To me, that screams coaching deficiencies, etc., yet JB deflects even further along with his trademark snarky/seemingly puzzled typical grin. Not to mention, even bringing such a specific up, let alone airing this out publicly. I mean what? How is that motivational ("pushing Jesse") if that is indeed what his true intent is there. It's really cringeworthy to watch and observe.

By pushed I mean by JB still laying into the guy in the pressers (not physically pushed on the blocks). Jesse can get a lot better, the talent v output probably drives JB nuts.

I mean, the kid has some agency here, right?

It's surprising that anyone who saw him play at Cornell thought he'd be a fit on a Syracuse team. But he did choose to make the leap; if Syracuse is a desirable place to land a roster spot, then I hope he's enjoying himself.

Not sure why some fans think Williams would likely do better than Boeheim. He's been a deer in the headlights when on the court. He'll probably be good ... but he's not really ready. Jim is right. He's not nearly as impactful as Richmond was and Kadary is still struggling for more minutes at SH ... getting 8ppg, and shooting 32%/29%.

With that said, the way Jimmy played last night ... he should have been pulled in favor of someone else from the bench.

Perhaps.

Nothing has ever been his fault whatsoever. Nothing.

By pushed I mean by JB still laying into the guy in the pressers (not physically pushed on the blocks). Jesse can get a lot better, the talent v output probably drives JB nuts.

I know what you meant.

My rant was more about JB, his ways, taking ownership, etc. vs. so much deflection and passing blame.

Even if Jesse can get a lot better, achieve higher output, etc., last season (as late as mid February) JB often spewed how Jesse "wasn't ready" of meaningful minutes and even getting on the floor at times. I'd imagine, with that allegedly the case last year, Jesse's current production should be pleasantly surprising to JB, and he should be tickled pink. But, of course, just as Jesse being 'not ready' last year, that's not the case.

What's really driving JB "nuts" is the losing...and with his boys playing significant roles in this season's to date debacle. Again, he's masterful at deflection and passing the onus elsewhere.

He should never say this in a press conference and if he believes it, he should only say that to his coaches and Benny. With that said, I have yet to see much from Benny. That's not to say he won't be good, but he has not shown us much yet. I know he has very limited minutes but good players will use any time they can get to convince a coach to play them more.

Regarding Edwards, he has played very well. Not perfect, but very well. Not really worthy of criticism to the media.

Jimmy, Buddy, Joe should be the leaders now. They all played sloppy last night. No handles. Passing was sloppy and ball handling just as bad. They are all upperclassman and if coach wants to be critical, he should focus on them.

Lastly, and I have said this before, refs let teams that play man defense get away with much more contact than zone. It's why Buddy and Joe are having such a hard time. Defenses see that they can ride a player with hand-checking and jabs/pushes even way outside. It's killed Buddy and Joe. While I think it is also illegal, the refs don't call it so it really doesn't matter.
People never pushed players like DC or Rick Jackson, or Arinze off their spot.

I know what you meant.

My rant was more about JB, his ways, taking ownership, etc. vs. so much deflection and passing blame.

Even if Jesse can get a lot better, achieve higher output, etc., last season (as late as mid February) JB often spewed how Jesse "wasn't ready" of meaningful minutes and even getting on the floor at times. I'd imagine, with that allegedly the case last year, Jesse's current production should be pleasantly surprising to JB, and he should be tickled pink. But, of course, just as Jesse being 'not ready' last year, that's not the case.

What's really driving JB "nuts" is the losing...and with his boys playing significant roles in this season's to date debacle. Again, he's masterful at deflection and passing the onus elsewhere.

JB shouldn't be surprised if he thinks Jesse is good and can get better.

You may be right then JB the coach has failed his job.
He doesn’t have to rip his kids then shut the hell up about Jesse.

Or how about take some personal responsibility for the performance of his team? Dude's ego is so fragile that he can't even admit fault. I've said it before but he has some Trumpian characteristics.

People never pushed players like DC or Rick Jackson, or Arinze off their spot.
that's down low...not 30 feet from the basket. And they used their body and had position.

Maybe the deal from the school is known. When your kids are done, you're done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom