How in the world was Jimmy not criticized, but JG, CS and JE were? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

How in the world was Jimmy not criticized, but JG, CS and JE were?

Yes. But how many Barstool readers would care about JB throwing Jesse under the bus? He’s done it for years. The story is because of Jimmy/Buddy on the team
Yeah but theres no winning now to gloss over his crusty personality. No doubt the kids being here make it more noticeable. Ive always hated it. Always made me cringe and wonder how much unnecessarily harder it made recruiting. Hard to believe a guy whos accompmished so much in his field can display such lousy leadership qualities

It's ridiculous how different he coaches Buddy and Jimmy compared to the other players. He has alway had his favorites but this is beyond anything that is fair to their teammates. I also can't stand when he rips players in the press conferences. Start with yourself coach you recruited and put this team together. He was once a great coach but comments like this is his best shooting team ever and the incoming class is his best class ever? I don't think he really knows what he is saying or doing anymore. I'm sure he forgot more about basketball then we all ever knew but it's time to hang up the clipboard.

Not sure why some fans think Williams would likely do better than Boeheim. He's been a deer in the headlights when on the court. He'll probably be good ... but he's not really ready. Jim is right. He's not nearly as impactful as Richmond was and Kadary is still struggling for more minutes at SH ... getting 8ppg, and shooting 32%/29%.

With that said, the way Jimmy played last night ... he should have been pulled in favor of someone else from the bench.
I agree that Jimmy should have been pulled and replaced by a bench player but I really, really think Joe should have also been benched. He started out bad and went down hill from there. When he is off, no reason to put him on the floor. Not sure I have ever seen him turn his game around within the game.

I have followed orange basketball continually since the 50’s . A lot of radio “dirty but good” season tickets for ten years an now TV. I haven’t given up yet but I am on the ledge. I have said before Jessie is the best player on the team,if JB drives him away I will jump.

I'm not sure people know how bad this is. It is really bad. For stuff to just be on this board is one thing. To have this now coming from other sources, ouch. We all know the thin skin Jim has. What does Jim do in these situations usually? He doubles down. Fasten your seat belt, this might get awful. Hopefully I'm wrong. It's sad.
Clearly that Barstool column was written by someone from this board.

At this point, JB is so toxic to me that even a miracle title in the ACCT followed by a Sweet 16 wouldn't change that.
I hope his sons play out of their minds and somehow make that crazy dream happen for him.
Then hope JB, vindicated after proving he still knows best, takes his likely parting shots and retires happy.

My prize would be feeling engaged and excited again about SU hoops.

I'm not sure people know how bad this is. It is really bad. For stuff to just be on this board is one thing. To have this now coming from other sources, ouch. We all know the thin skin Jim has. What does Jim do in these situations usually? He doubles down. Fasten your seat belt, this might get awful. Hopefully I'm wrong. It's sad.
and the national media that is not part of his posse will love picking the bones of JB. This is going to be a very interesting ride.

I agree that Jimmy should have been pulled and replaced by a bench player but I really, really think Joe should have also been benched. He started out bad and went down hill from there. When he is off, no reason to put him on the floor. Not sure I have ever seen him turn his game around within the game.
Joe was very bad against Pitt but he was almost as teflon as JB in that game because the option was Buddy and Cole. He had to play.

I am fine with that but he was still on the floor so they had someone who could bring the ball up. Boeheim would probably say, "We could not take Joe out with Symir not available" and there is some validity to that but Joe was really sloppy with the ball. And it points out one of the team's biggest weaknesses... ballhandling.

What really irritated me again in the presser, was JB saying Joe needs to figure it out when he's not playing well.

First off, is that not the coaches job, to help a player "figure it out"? And second, he's struggling to play a position, that is not his natural position...as instructed, by the head coach!

I know he'll never do it, and it wouldn't change my thoughts on JB, but it would be great to see him just man up and accept even a tiny part of this blame!

I am fine with that but he was still on the floor so they had someone who could bring the ball up. Boeheim would probably say, "We could not take Joe out with Symir not available" and there is some validity to that but Joe was really sloppy with the ball. And it points out one of the team's biggest weaknesses... ballhandling.
I hear what you are saying and I have absolutely no idea of any of the skills of the walk ons but I would hope there is at least one walk on that can bring the ball up the floor. But there is nothing that will surprise me about this team. My only point is when Joe is off, his entire game suffers.

Posted this in another thread but it belongs here.
“After reading what JB said about Jesse, I had to watch the Pitt presser again and yes, he does get on Jesse about not being “capable” yet, but clarifies it by saying;”He needs to get stronger. Physically he just can’t play with stronger players yet”…etc etc.
So it wasn’t exactly a false assessment but JB has to learn to tamp down on his comments. The media will focus on the first part of that comment, which comes off as yet another Jesse bashing, and was mild compared to what he said about JG3/Cole/Jimmy. In fact, there was literally no mention of Jimmy’s crappy play…at all!
The next time he tears into Jimmy the way he does Jesse, will be the first time”.

What really irritated me again in the presser, was JB saying Joe needs to figure it out when he's not playing well.

First off, is that not the coaches job, to help a player "figure it out"? And second, he's struggling to play a position, that is not his natural position...as instructed, by the head coach!

I know he'll never do it, and it wouldn't change my thoughts on JB, but it would be great to see him just man up and accept even a tiny part of this blame!

He is asking Joe to play out of position. He didn't bring in a real 4th guard, so Joe now had to play almost a full game outside his natural position. Also, doesn't he have asthma, too?

He also screamed at Joe on the court, on TV.

He trashed him in the presser.

Again, I can't believe I'm the poster saying this, I feel bad for Joe.

Also, combined with the Jesse comments and what he did with Benny, I mean, it's embarrassing. Or at least it should be considered embarrassing.

But, when there are no consequences, who cares?

I think it's always been best to take whatever JAB says with a grain of salt. It's not like we have any guards on the coaching staff that would be able to tutor Joe anyways. Maybe he should have hired Devo instead of DNich. This season must be DNich's fault.

He is asking Joe to play out of position. He didn't bring in a real 4th guard, so Joe now had to play almost a full game outside his natural position. Also, doesn't he have asthma, too?

Also, combined with the Jesse comments and what he did with Benny, I mean, it's embarrassing. Or at least it should be considered embarrassing.

But, when there are no consequences, who cares?
The defeat in Joes face when JB was undressing him next to the bench made me feel bad for him too. You need to challenge your guys, but putting them into a position to fail isn’t right if you’re going to dig into them like that. That all said, Joe needs to get his head into the game and focus on protecting the ball better and at least look like he’s trying on defense.

The defeat in Joes face when JB was undressing him next to the bench made me feel bad for him too. You need to challenge your guys, but putting them into a position to fail isn’t right if you’re going to dig into them like that. That all said, Joe needs to get his head into the game and focus on protecting the ball better and at least look like he’s trying on defense.
Very well said; that’s very ‘old school’ coaching and doesn’t work for today’s student athletes!

Honestly, I’m old skool on the on-court yelling part wherein I’m not too bothered by a HC actually “coaching” his players during the course of the game. Even if it’s through yelling, screaming at them, or whatever. In that context, it doesn’t faze me much, & honestly, I’d bet the players see it the same way.
Besides, JG3 has had a very long rope w/ JB. If its come to yelling on the court, then maybe the HOF’er feels that’s his last resort.
However, I’ll never be ok with the public dressing downs in the media. He should know better, and oughta be ashamed of himself for doing it.

At this point, JB is so toxic to me that even a miracle title in the ACCT followed by a Sweet 16 wouldn't change that.
I hope his sons play out of their minds and somehow make that crazy dream happen for him.
Then hope JB, vindicated after proving he still knows best, takes his likely parting shots and retires happy.

My prize would be feeling engaged and excited again about SU hoops.
Not this yr.

Actually, the more I consider this the more I realize it was never a good approach; it’s just in bygone times student athletes had no choice like they do now. Coaches controlled their destiny!

You think Jim would say anything if Jimmy changed his FT routine? God no. Jesse has been struggling as of late from the line, but is still a better ft shooter than Jimmy. And his misses are much closer.

Honestly, I’m old skool on the on-court yelling part wherein I’m not too bothered by a HC actually “coaching” his players during the course of the game. Even if it’s through yelling, screaming at them, or whatever. In that context, it doesn’t faze me much, & honestly, I’d bet the players see it the same way.
Besides, JG3 has had a very long rope w/ JB. If its come to yelling on the court, then maybe the HOF’er feels that’s his last resort.
However, I’ll never be ok with the public dressing downs in the media. He should know better, and oughta be ashamed of himself for doing it.
My beef with it actually has to do with having a WHOLE YEAR where we couldnt bench Joe because of his confidence...we dont want to shake his confidence...we don't want to get in his head etc etc etc

Handling him with kid gloves and the subsequent fall out has gotten us to 9 and 11.

Changing it up now is too little, too late.

Jimmy is at his ceiling, Jesse isn't close. I can see why Jesse gets pushed, there's a lot more there to unlock.

Yeah, things that worked with Rony Seikaly don't work with kids today.
Just look at Chris McCullough. Boeheim was brutal to him in the half season he played before he got hurt.

In my mind, there was very little chance he was coming back after the way he was treated, even though he would have been a star in college, and probably gotten drafted a lot higher by proving he had recovered from his knee injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom