How it ends: Going out on a whimper | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

How it ends: Going out on a whimper

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've got it twisted. You're the one bothered by "miserable people."
You're the one who doesn't understand perspective and context.
You're the one who doesn't recognize that kvetching occurs in every involved sports forum.
You're the one who doesn't understand sociology or psychology.
You're the one who can't deal that everyone doesn't feel or think the same way as you.
And you're the one who doesn't know that the things you say are not "facts." They're 'perspectives.' Subjective. The "fact" that you call it "misery"—i mean, jeezus, that's just, like, your opinion, man. That's not a fact. It's not even true. All i'm seeing is a lot of calm-to-spirited discussion about who we are, who we should/could be, and the future of a program that means a great deal to us. Not sure why you require a dispassionate take on all of that, or how you ignore the ironic conflict of also wanting it to be 'rah-rah,' we're great as-is. But, i'd suggest that perspective isn't at all fact-based.
I'm not bothered at all. In my opinion people lose credibility when they over complain because chances are they will always find something to complain about. It really doesn't matter. It's an observation. You see the same with politics. This is all human nature.

I really hate to be the negative Nancy - but I mean come on…. “Very good”? I just don’t see it at all. Please take time to be a handful of games from ranked teams. I just watched Kentucky play LSU, and good golly Molly Kentucky is on a different universe then us. Athletic as can be up and down the line up, great bench effort, guards who can get their own shot and create for others. Athletes up and down the court for both LSU and UK…. We have some good basketball players here, but we are like a top tier A10 team. We don’t have the athleticism to match the top tier P5 teams.
Virginia is a top tier P5 team. Syracuse and Virginia both play different styles of basketball than you prefer. Our team is not playing their best basketball at this point. I believe they are working hard to get better and as a fan, I'm going to support their efforts. I think they can and will improve significantly

I like how some take the position that someone else is miserable or bashing Boeheim when all they're doing is offering an opinion (ON A MESSAGE BOARD). It just distorts the reality, which is obviously their aim. It's a lazy take.

I for one, have been a big supporter of Boeheim over the last 30 years. I've just had enough finally. I care, so I post. If I didn't care, I wouldn't post. Some here, need to work on getting comfortable with dissenting opinions.

We need Joe to play much better or we are cooked
He's been in a slump. I mean people complain about the roster and its composition, but if Benny were playing like a high 4 star or 5 star recruit, all those issues would evaporate. He should come into games and wreak havoc, at least sometimes. and. I think he will yet, it's just taking more time than we would like.

I like how some take the position that someone else is miserable or bashing Boeheim when all they're doing is offering an opinion (ON A MESSAGE BOARD). It just distorts the reality, which is obviously their aim. It's a lazy take.

I for one, have been a big supporter of Boeheim over the last 30 years. I've just had enough finally. I care, so I post. If I didn't care, I wouldn't post. Some here, need to work on getting comfortable with dissenting opinions.
Do you think your take is going to influence the decision makers on the Hill?

Virginia is a top tier P5 team. Syracuse and Virginia both play different styles of basketball than you prefer. Our team is not playing their best basketball at this point. I believe they are working hard to get better and as a fan, I'm going to support their efforts. I think they can and will improve significantly
This UVA team is down considerably from their last few years.

Other than Indiana and FSU, this Syracuse team hasn’t done much. I’m inclined to think the IU and FSU games were outlier performances. This is looking more and more like a .500 type team as each week goes on. And that’s only because the ACC is way down this year and we have BC and Pitt on the schedule twice. This is probably a 7 or 8 ACC win team, even with the soft schedule.

I'm not bothered at all. In my opinion people lose credibility when they over complain because chances are they will always find something to complain about. It really doesn't matter. It's an observation. You see the same with politics. This is all human nature.

Here is the problem.

It is what forums like these are for, for everyone to express what they like and don't like. Many are not liking the current state of SU basketball, and are talking it out here to let off some steam.

You decide that this is "over complaining" as if there is a line drawn by someone (you) that says the complain threshold has been exceeded and how miserable can these people be to keep complaining?

So you basically decided to join the sea of complaining, but instead of complaining about the usual topics (Joe can't play PG, Jesse can't cover the corner, when will JB retire, who will succeed JB...) you complain about the complainers being miserable, and at the same time, these complainers look at you and think how miserable can you be to keep complaining about them complaining, as if it's somehow a remotely fresh take.

This UVA team is down considerably from their last few years.

Other than Indiana and FSU, this Syracuse team hasn’t done much. I’m inclined to think the IU and FSU games were outlier performances. This is looking more and more like a .500 type team as each week goes on. And that’s only because the ACC is way down this year and we have BC and Pitt on the schedule twice. This is probably a 7 or 8 ACC win team, even with the soft schedule.
Playing one of the top teams in the league tonight, we'll see what happens.

Here is the problem.

It is what forums like these are for, for everyone to express what they like and don't like. Many are not liking the current state of SU basketball, and are talking it out here to let off some steam.

You decide that this is "over complaining" as if there is a line drawn by someone (you) that says the complain threshold has been exceeded and how miserable can these people be to keep complaining?

So you basically decided to join the sea of complaining, but instead of complaining about the usual topics (Joe can't play PG, Jesse can't cover the corner, when will JB retire, who will succeed JB...) you complain about the complainers being miserable, and at the same time, these complainers look at you and think how miserable can you be to keep complaining about them complaining, as if it's somehow a remotely fresh take.
I don't like the current state of SU basketball either. You guys are trying to twist my words and not reading or comprehending my posts.

There's always a contingent that complain about everything. It's an observation.

My point was people who say they would prefer better regular seasons if we lose in the tourney aren't really being truthful with themselves.

Message boards are mostly complaining. And people complaining about people complaining. And people complaining about people complaining about people complaining. And…

Serial complaining is probably better than apathy.

If you're responding to me you need to read better.

I never stuck up for Boeheim. I, along with most people(I think) want him to retire.

And the people who do stick up for Boeheim have to be in the minority at this point.

This argument between the regular season and post season is dumb though. That is it.

At this point I would rather have the regular seasons where our games are important and I'm excited for them all day at work.

Holy sht I still remember being excited for like a week leading up to that Uconn game in the Dome back in 2000.

Fast forward to 2022 and I forgot that we played UVa until an hour after the game was done and the biggest source of excitement is trying to work in a joke about Buddy the Boyz going to Byrne Dairy to buy some flying saucers.

I hear Boeheim consistently gets the highest scores at Ski-Ball when he takes the gang to Dave and Busters.

"Going out with a whimper" indeed.
Seems more like an air hockey guy until Juli gets him in the knuckle

Hey, if folks want to witness some true misery, I'd invite you to check out some of the Cleveland Browns fan forums since those refs on Sunday handed the Bengals the division in their, quoting Nance here; "never seen anything like it" finish and win over the Chiefs. ;):mad:

Let’s not say until 2014 and after 2017 to conveniently leave out the final four. What if we evaluated 2016-2022? Are you expecting an upgrade from that? Do we all prefer the Tyler Ennis year in 2014 to the final four year in 2016? I’m just trying to understand. We’d all prefer to be ranked in December than peak in March?
I didnt omit them out of conveneince. The last elitish team we had was 2014. 2015 was not a good team and the 2016 FF, while a lot of fun, was a fluke. I used 2017 to 2022 as it's the last 5 years. If you want to put 2015 and 2016 in there, go right ahead. It doesn't change my point.
If you want to believe that everything is going great and that the program can only go south after JB retires, have at it, because you're enjoying SU basketball more than I think most are.

I don't like the current state of SU basketball either. You guys are trying to twist my words and not reading or comprehending my posts.

There's always a contingent that complain about everything. It's an observation.

My point was people who say they would prefer better regular seasons if we lose in the tourney aren't really being truthful with themselves.

It's not one or the other...

I'd like to return to better regular seasons... consistently in the top 25... get off the bubble and get 5 or higher seed in the tourney... do damage in the tourney with hopes set on final 4.

There is always the occasional early round exit game for good teams- it happens, but if you are consistently good in the regular season, that usually translates to more consistent success in the tourney.

...essentially how we used to be when in our program "good" years.

Our perma-bubble status clutching straws for a last 4 in spot after another pedestrian season and hope for a couple wins svengali-ing OOC teams that don't know our zone ...with sweet 16 as a high bar...

I simply have higher expectations than that for the program.

JAB can't deliver that anymore and it's tough because he's been here so long, done so much and set those high bar expectations.

Fans complain on sports forums when expectations are not met. It's not a conspiracy.

Let’s not say until 2014 and after 2017 to conveniently leave out the final four. What if we evaluated 2016-2022? Are you expecting an upgrade from that? Do we all prefer the Tyler Ennis year in 2014 to the final four year in 2016? I’m just trying to understand. We’d all prefer to be ranked in December than peak in March?
My expectations for Syracuse are to at least be a 5 seed and make the Sweet 16 at least 5 or 6 times a decade with 2-3 potential National Title contenders. If that makes JB a victim of his own success than it is what it is.

You really don't realize that you complain about the complaints as much as the complainers complain about the state of the program?

It's just an observation? No, it's a campaign.

At least the discussion of the program is actually on-topic.

Right—it's human nature. You seem to want everyone to be programmed to lock on to your perspectives, though.

You really don't realize that you complain about the complaints as much as the complainers complain about the state of the program?

It's just an observation? No, it's a campaign.

At least the discussion of the program is actually on-topic.

Right—it's human nature. You seem to want everyone to be programmed to lock on to your perspectives, though.
Stop it. I never said anyone should have the same opinion as me. My observation was people are lying to themselves on tournament vs regular season history based on past history on this board. I've been here a decade. I know what's been posted and how people react. It's seemed to trigger a few of you. I already stated my expectations for the program and we aren't meeting them.

Some complain about the posters protect JB at all costs. There's others who exaggerate us being a doormat for 8 years. Both sides look stupid and it becomes a circle jerk.

My opinion is right down the middle. We haven't been near Syracuse Standards since 2014, but there's other posts calling us chicken littles. And I said I expect at least a 5 seed, with a sweet 16 team 5 or 6 times a decade with 2-3 potential title contenders. We obviously aren't doing that now.

Most of us want JB to retire including myself. We are waiting it out. There's no sense me getting this frustrated because there was always a potential of this scenario this year with his kids.

I've basically checked out on being a 24/7 Syracuse Basketball fan this year. It's never happened to me before. Don't think I've bothered posting on the board in a few weeks. Not sure if it's Covid-related or what but think my fandom has been beaten down over the slogs of the past few regular seasons and it's sapped away what used to be excitement over every game on the schedule.

Cuse Bball was the only sporting entity left that I cared enough about to have it effect my mood and that went away a few years ago. Now it's slid to the point where I haven't even been checking the schedule and that's never happened since I was a kid. I've been fairly straight forward in being ready for JB to go for a few years now and it seems the majority of folks here have reached that point. It just blows that it's still up in the air as to when it happens as we continue to have the oldest coach in major bball history and the trajectory arrow points lower and lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom