How it ends: Going out on a whimper | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How it ends: Going out on a whimper

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way. If that was going to get him run, he would have been gone 15 years ago. Like it or not, he is Rasputin. He’s survived two sets of sanctions, cancer, a pedo-scandal inside the program, killing a guy in an accident, alienating local and sometimes national press, being the least professional person in the world in PCs, etc. Any one of those things alone could have brought down a mere mortal Coach.

He’s going nowhere with a capital nowhere until he decides to leave.
Hold on, I'm as frustrated as anyone, but let's stick to the facts. There was no wrongdoing in JB's car accident and there wasn't a pedo-scandal (involving JB) as you like to phrase it.

I also don't remember many people wanting to move on from JB after either set of NCAA sanctions.

Raises hand. After probation #2. And it’s not hindsight. I said it on this board at the time.

You very well may have but 99% of the board was trashing the NCAA.

Raises hand. After probation #2. And it’s not hindsight. I said it on this board at the time.
I'm sure you did, I never stated none, few or a couple. I would also say many felt the penalties did not fit the violations.

We're struggling due to recruiting and roster construction over recent years.

At this point JB staying may be what’s best for JB but not what’s best for SU. Can’t afford to let the program slip anymore. We aren’t getting the caliber of player we need to compete for an ACC championship let alone a national championship

The issue is JB has zero to do after basketball. Zero. Has no hobbies other than golf. He’s selfish with this program because no one is holding him accountable for the downturn. Would be great to get someone with some personality and charisma. Also, it’s amazing that after his tragedy with the accident, that he still treats the media and kids the way he does.

Lastly, now getting guys like Oats is not going to happen. He has a better situation and support at Bama ... the timing was set up to be perfect a couple years ago and JB just had to stay

Christ...then coach somewhere else that doesn't require the kind of effort that you're not willing to put in here any more. This isn't JBU, it's SU.

This is why Calhoun is far and away the best coach of his generation. I know, blasphemy but it's true. He made a turd of a program into a national one and was smart/humble enough to step away when he knew he couldn't hack it at that level any more.
Love Calhoun the coach, but he surely didn’t step away on his own. Put it this way, they didn’t name the court after him…

The issue is JB has zero to do after basketball. Zero. Has no hobbies other than golf. He’s selfish with this program because no one is holding him accountable for the downturn. Would be great to get someone with some personality and charisma. Also, it’s amazing that after his tragedy with the accident, that he still treats the media and kids the way he does.

Lastly, now getting guys like Oats is not going to happen. He has a better situation and support at Bama ... the timing was set up to be perfect a couple years ago and JB just had to stay

I don’t think Oats is a pipe dream. We will have to open the check book but I think Oats history says he will listen.

73DE138B-AB3E-4C04-BD24-ABA16068FAC3.jpeg
Guess I’m the only one who wants him to stay ‍♂️. He’s my coach. And more importantly I don’t think there is any chance in the world we land an upgrade. Grass isn’t often greener.

View attachment 212394Guess I’m the only one who wants him to stay ‍♂️. He’s my coach. And more importantly I don’t think there is any chance in the world we land an upgrade. Grass isn’t often greener.
And that jacket, tie and hairline reeled in Julie. Smh. Talk about wins in his career. This win never gets talked about. Amazing. I mean look at that god awefull jacket. It hurts my eyes.

View attachment 212394Guess I’m the only one who wants him to stay ‍♂️. He’s my coach. And more importantly I don’t think there is any chance in the world we land an upgrade. Grass isn’t often greener.

I don't think there are many who truly believe it leads to immediate success and greener pastures nor do some of us "want" to see the creator of this program being what we expect it to be leave and reach that point when it is time.

I know people hate PSU for good reason but this is very much similar to the challenge with Paterno. JB is healthier than JP was but the program is fading in a similar fashion. An exit should be graceful but it's also appearing to be time. It's difficult to accept these things and it becomes a battle of folks admonishing those who want to see him ride off into the sunset and sticking hard to their guns of he should be here as long as he wants even if that means he is 90.

I noted a couple pages ago that the fear of there being nothing to do but sit idly and grow old can weigh heavily on someone like JB or anyone his age still able bodied to work. It isn't exclusive to it but it's very common here in the farming communities. My father is 12 years younger than JB but if he can keep training horses and being a barber till he is 90 physically he will because it's one foot in the grave once you stop.

No it's isn't. But that grass has been turning to a shade of brown slowly over the last 5-8 years.

Respect your opinion but just don't understand the thinking. If you are running a business and see results trending down for several years in a row, do you not do anything because you're afraid it might get worse?

JB has had one of the best careers of all time. We might not get an upgrade from that - probably won't. But the odds of getting an upgrade from the last several seasons seem to be much better.

Last edited:
I'm sure you did, I never stated none, few or a couple. I would also say many felt the penalties did not fit the violations.

We're struggling due to recruiting and roster construction over recent years.
Jim plays his iron-6 lol. Sanctions don't mean anything when you only play a 6 man rotation hahahha

You mean the 8 years when we went to three sweet 16’s and a final 4?
This is true, but completely masks how poorly we have been in the regular season, in the ACC tournament and everything outside of the tournament.

Yes - it was fun to go to the sweet 16s and that final four run was awesome. But, would it not be better to play well in the regular season, be a contender each year in the ACC, and then go on those same runs? Which in theory we would if our regular season output was where it "should" be with a school that has the revenue output like Cuse.

Top revenue programs:

1. Louisville
2. Duke
3. Kentucky
4. Syracuse
5. UNC

Notice who the outlier is in that list in terms of production in the last 7 years or so?

Sorry- but to me the tourney "runs" do not mask the facts that the majority of the time we are MASSIVELY underperforming compared to our revenue. If this was any business - and this is a business - but I mean any random private business - the stake holders would fire the CEO in 2 seconds.

This is true, but completely masks how poorly we have been in the regular season, in the ACC tournament and everything outside of the tournament.

Yes - it was fun to go to the sweet 16s and that final four run was awesome. But, would it not be better to play well in the regular season, be a contender each year in the ACC, and then go on those same runs? Which in theory we would if our regular season output was where it "should" be with a school that has the revenue output like Cuse.

Top revenue programs:

1. Louisville
2. Duke
3. Kentucky
4. Syracuse
5. UNC

Notice who the outlier is in that list in terms of production in the last 7 years or so?

Sorry- but to me the tourney "runs" do not mask the facts that the majority of the time we are MASSIVELY underperforming compared to our revenue. If this was any business - and this is a business - but I mean any random private business - the stake holders would fire the CEO in 2 seconds.

Revenue isn’t a good indicator. It also costs a lot more to put on an event such as a bball game at the Dome. Is there a ranking for profit of each schools basketball program?

Christ...then coach somewhere else that doesn't require the kind of effort that you're not willing to put in here any more. This isn't JBU, it's SU.

This is why Calhoun is far and away the best coach of his generation. I know, blasphemy but it's true. He made a turd of a program into a national one and was smart/humble enough to step away when he knew he couldn't hack it at that level any more.

He and K are head and shoulders above everyone else; but I'd put Calhoun above K for the same reasons you said. And like JB, Calhoun didn't come from this great coaching legacy; he created his own in a place where no one else had ever really won. It's an incredible story.

….a pedo-scandal inside the program, killing a guy in an accident….
Seriously, this is vindictive and over-the-line. I’ll even give you the “pedo-scandal” that wasn’t, but blaming someone for “killing a guy in an accident” is just foul.
He wasn’t drunk or impaired, driving recklessly, or anything other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. God forbid you or anyone ever finds themselves in such a situation. F ‘d up take, dude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors