How long have you been an SU football fan? | Syracusefan.com

How long have you been an SU football fan?

SWC75

Bored Historian
Some posters is the Dan Mullen thread were talking about how long they've been an SU fan. I thought that would make a good thread in itself. (I'll do a separate one on the BB board).

Me: 1961. I actually became a Cleveland Browns fan first. I turned 8 that fall. My Dad wanted something he could do with his son and brough home a publication previewing the NFL season. We sat together watching whatever game was shown on Sunday, (usually the Giants). The magazine said that Jimmy Brown was the greatest player. Dad said he came from Syracuse so he became my favorite player and the Browns my favorite team. Dad said that Syracuse had another guys just like him on it's current team.

What is the first game you saw on TV or listened to on the radio?

The 1961 Liberty Bowl, Ernie Davis' last game:

What is the first game you attended?

The 1964 UCLA game. Floyd Little borke ist open with a 91 yard punt return just before halftime. WE won 39-0 in the snow over some very cold-looking Californians.

Last edited:
I vaguely remember attending games at the Dome in the late 80s, but for me it’s 1992 when I was 10 years old. The Miami game just flipped a switch in my brain. And at that point I was old enough to fully understand the rules of football.

First memories are mid-80's for me...vaguely remember the Dome opening but I was only 6 and didn't really comprehend what that meant at the time.

Had been to several hoops games with my uncle (RIP) but first football game was Texas 1992 - my freshman year on the hill. Along with a couple other posters here I was part of the group where the railing gave way and we all spilled onto the field in a massive pile on top of Marvin Graves.

1984 I became a fan at age 7 watching with my dad. First game in the Dome was 9/16/89 vs Army. My 4 years at SU (95-99) aligned with the McNabb era. Been hooked for 39 years … it’s an addiction.

1970. My great uncle, who was a STH from the time he returned from WWII Europe in 1946 until his passing in 2004, brought me to my first game against Maryland when I was 5. Been addicted ever since.

Oklahoma 1994 was my first fan game of Syracuse sports

Curious from 91-93 as I was thinking colleges.

Grew up in the midwest but I have loved the Orange since the mid-90s. I owe it to EA Sports NCAA college football videogames and seeing McNabb torch Michigan in the Big House.

Family of Cuse fans, so...since birth. First game I can vividly remember is against WV in '95.

I was 10, and will always remember that game as it was the first time I saw McNabb play live.

Some posters is the Dan Mullen thread were talking about how long they've been an SU fan. I thought that would make a good thread in itself. (I'll do a separate one on the BB board).

Me: 19161. I actually became a Cleveland Browns fan first. I turned 8 that fall. My Dad wanted something he could do with his son and brough home a publication previewing the NFL season. We sat together watching whatever game was shown on Sunday, (usually the Giants). The magazine said that Jimmy Brown was the greatest player. Dad said he came from Syracuse so he became my favorite player and the Browns my favorite team. Dad said that Syracuse had another guys just like him on it's current team.

What is the first game you saw on TV or listened to on the radio?

The 1961 Liberty Bowl, Ernie Davis' last game:

What is the first game you attended?

The 1964 UCLA game. Floyd Little borke ist open with a 91 yard punt return just before halftime. WE won 39-0 in the snow over some very cold-looking Californians.

I graduated in the class of '78. I followed college football before that. But I wasn't a big Syracuse fan. I was just amazed at the running backs they kept getting.

1973. My freshman year and the worst year for Syracuse football. Probably because of the 5-3 win over Holy Cross. I saw my first game in 1972 when I visited the school. Roger Pratoreus was a running back.

Since mid 50s .. 1955 we were in NCarolina while my dad worked for DW Winkleman building rt81. Saw a few SU games on tv especially the 59 team .Returned in 60 .Went to many games in Archie saw last game there first game dome . The Browns were my first NFL team .. huge Jimmy Brown fan.

1959, first TV game 1960. First game Archbold Oregon State October 26, 1963 won 31-8. Tean was 8-2 beat UCLA, ND, WV and Penn State. Lost to Pitt and Kansas. No bowl invite.
Rich King QB
Billy Hunter RB
Jim Nance RB
We were much bigger and stronger than the Beavers.
Beautiful day great memory.

Attended game in Archbold in 1963. Do not remember the opponent but SU did win.

TV/Radio: True fandom started on September 26, 1964. My sister was getting married. We were all gathered at the Hotel Syracuse. My job was to go into the bar and report back what the score was. SU was playing Kansas and the Heisman favorite: Gayle Sayers, the Kansas Comet. What I remember is reporting back that Floyd Little just scored; Floyd Little scored again; he scored again; and again. Little scored 5 touchdowns. SU won 38-6.

The rest is history.

Went to my first game when I was 6... 1977.

Saw the opening of the dome and the Joe Morris / Frank Maloney era and my family had season tickets for decades. Got to see the coach Mac years and Donnie Mac and McNabb before I was off to college myself

The old man was a freshman at Syracuse during the 1959 NC season, so he was a little more spoiled than I... But I got no complaints.

I grew up in CNY during the late 90s/early 2000’s. I had some really strong D1 interest after my freshman year of playing varsity football. I became very close to George DeLeone and would have given my left arm to play for him. I camped for him and HCPP numerous times. I had a season ending knee injury my sophomore year and GDL was almost like a father figure in the mental side recovering. After a second knee injury that ended up me getting ambulanced to upstate, GDL walked into the hospital room not 60 minutes after my arrival. After some laughter and getting my head straight, he bluntly yet compassionately in a way that only GDL could have spoken told me there’s not many 290 pound nose tackles with two knee surgeries getting D1 offers. He gave me some motivating words to alleviate the blow of hearing I wasn’t getting an offer. I’ll never forget the warmth. It was that day I knew I’d be a Syracuse football fan for the rest of my life.

The ending of that visit will always bring a smile to my face. A pat on the shoulder. A smile. And the words, “You were a much better center than a defensive tackle. This could have been avoided”. Always cracking an insulting joke to the people he liked.

I grew up in the area, so I started hearing about SU football in the 1950's. I never saw Jim Brown in person, but I did see him play basketball (Syracuse football players vs. Pitt football players at the War Memorial prior to a Syracuse Nats game).
By 1958, I was attending all the home games - so of course, I was there for all of the 1959 championship season. My cousin's husband had a brother who worked the gate at Archibold and would get us in for free.
I know that I listened to some games on the radio, but I don't remember much about them.
Also, I was a student when Floyd Little was playing.