How lucky are we? | Syracusefan.com

How lucky are we?

Cuse House

All American
  • Longest streak of consecutive winning seasons in the country.
  • Our worst seasons we are still in the NCAA tournament conversations.
  • Always #1 or #2 in the nation for attendance.
  • Consistently have top 10-20 recruiting classes (we're not done this season).
  • The same coach for 4 decades.

We've had it good :), let's hope we get some more good on Sunday. LGO!

With ya, bruh - let's go get some! If we dance, we going sweet 16 and on.

I book.

I'm just sick of 3 years of mediocrity.
It's happened before and SU recovered with a couple of their best recruiting classes ever. So far, the -17 class is underwhelming considering where it needs to be (positions and numbers).

I'm just sick of 3 years of mediocrity.
It's been a frustrating few years, but mediocrity is relative. Have we been mediocre to Syracuse standards? Absolutely, and I am the first to admit that I have been down on this team and certain players this year. With that being said, compared to many schools we have been good. If we did not have a postseason ban 2 years ago, we more than likely would have been an NCAA tournament team. That would mean we would have been 2/2 with a final four appearance over the past two seasons. This year who knows what happens, but we are still in the mix and as Tee said, if we get in I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a run into the second weekend.

In our mediocrity, the worst that we have done in the best conference in basketball has been 9 wins. We did that twice, and this year we hit 10. Things could be so much worse than what they appear to be. Not to mention, we just got through NCAA sanctions which 100% affected recruiting.

So mediocrity still brought us a final four last year. 95% of college basketball programs would die for our mediocrity. It's all relative.

And I'll be happy if we make a run this year too. It's still depressing not being able to win an ACCt game and not being able to have any hope of beating UNC and Louisville any time soon.

I'm so sick of that final four being used as an excuse to ignore the other 90% of the college basketball season. Squeak into the tournament, get a 15-seed, and then get a conference team in the next game. They beat UVA on the back of 12 minutes of fury and then got demolished by a much better team. Banners fly forever, but that's hardly a repeatable recipe for success.

I would say an 18-14 record is textbook mediocrity

And the Hoyas, Red Storm, and Huskies would kill or die for that sort of "mediocrity".
Especially on the heels on an unexpected run to the Final Four.

We're still very much in the discussion right now - they have all been irrelevant for weeks, if not months.
If not years. :p

I would say an 18-14 record is textbook mediocrity
I would say that history suggests programs go through 2-3 year regressions every decade. We have been no different, and we have always bounced back. Until it becomes a 4-5 year thing, I am not worried. This does not mean it is a trend, we are just coming out of sanctions and missed on a few players in recruiting.

And the Hoyas, Red Storm, and Huskies would kill or die for that sort of "mediocrity".
Especially on the heels on an unexpected run to the Final Four.

We're still very much in the discussion right now - they have all been irrelevant for weeks, if not months.
If not years. :p

I mean, of course? Those teams you listed aren't mediocre. They're objectively bad teams.

Love the positive outlook. I don't know that you have captured the current mood of the board though.

I would say that history suggests programs go through 2-3 year regressions every decade. We have been no different, and we have always bounced back. Until it becomes a 4-5 year thing, I am not worried. This does not mean it is a trend, we are just coming out of sanctions and missed on a few players in recruiting.

OK. So this is year three of mediocrity. Will you be worried next year? Keeping in mind we will lose Gillon, AW3, Roberson, and probably Lydon...and bring in two guys who are likely not impact players.

Love the positive outlook. I don't know that you have captured the current mood of the board though.
100% and I feel the same way as most, this year has stunk. Some days however, I reflect past the current scenario and see the blessings that we've had over a sustained period of time.

OK. So this is year three of mediocrity. Will you be worried next year? Keeping in mind we will lose Gillon, AW3, Roberson, and probably Lydon...and bring in two guys who are likely not impact players.
Not exactly, and here is why, we are in a transition period following sanctions and the uncertainty surrounding our head coach. It would take any program some time to stabilize in our current situation. But here is the thing, I am not as down about the outlook for next years team as most. I think the two bigs we have coming in are better than people are thinking and Battle, Thompson, and potentially Lydon will be very good. The lack of guards is worrisome, but we will get someone to transfer in, I have no doubt.

I don't think Lydon can leave on the basis of his performance this season. He is so much better than this and needs to show it.

Not exactly, and here is why, we are in a transition period following sanctions and the uncertainty surrounding our head coach. It would take any program some time to stabilize in our current situation. But here is the thing, I am not as down about the outlook for next years team as most. I think the two bigs we have coming in are better than people are thinking and Battle, Thompson, and potentially Lydon will be very good. The lack of guards is worrisome, but we will get someone to transfer in, I have no doubt.

The lack of guards IS worrisome. And I'm concerned about replicating our success on the transfer market.

I don't think Lydon can leave on the basis of his performance this season. He is so much better than this and needs to show it.

All he needs to do is declare and go to workouts. If they think he is first round potential, he gone.

100% and I feel the same way as most, this year has stunk. Some days however, I reflect past the current scenario and see the blessings that we've had over a sustained period of time.
I have come full circle on this season. I was really frustrated like everyone else after the BC game but I feel like we are playing with house money to some degree. I was convinced nothing positive was going to happen and was watching every game as I always do but definitely depressed about the whole thing. Then we beat FSU and UVA for win 1000 which was amazing and I thought no matter what happens now those are two positive memories and then we hit the buzzer beater against Duke and now I feel like this season has given me more to be happy about than I could ever expect when conference play started.

All he needs to do is declare and go to workouts. If they think he is first round potential, he gone.

THIS. Agree 144%.

He'd literally be nuts not to at least be evaluated, to try to determine if he's (still) 1st round material or not.
There's no downside for him to do so.

The lack of guards IS worrisome. And I'm concerned about replicating our success on the transfer market.
It's definitely a point of concern, no doubt. Things tend to work themselves out in these situations.

I've been to 80 percent of our games since 2002. 06-08 was tough to sit through, but we did win the BET and we still were bringing in elite talent.

I love the program and basketball is my favorite sport, but the recruiting isn't as good as it was in those years and I don't see how next year will be any better unless we pray Lydon is back and somehow find a PG that can help us win immediately in the OOC. Its frustrating to see some guys continuously not develop(Roberson/Howard/Joseph etc) and it's not as fun knowing we have a significant talent gap against certain programs that we never have had. Things are going in the wrong direction.

And I'll be happy if we make a run this year too. It's still depressing not being able to win an ACCt game and not being able to have any hope of beating UNC and Louisville any time soon.
If Lydon and Battle stay, bring in Sidibe and a healthy Chukwu and Moyer. I believe we will be pleasantly surprised in 2017/2018. Sidibe is going to surprise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom