How many of you Orange fans are down on DeVito? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How many of you Orange fans are down on DeVito?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to TD, I’m from Missouri: “You have to show me”.
He got better last year as the OL improved, but overall was still kinda shaky. TBH, I’m worried about his “feel” for the game- I never got the sense he could’ve actually willed some outcomes, so to speak. As an example, the kid from UNC showed a bit of that last year, and even though I saw glimpses of that w/ Devito, it was nothing sustained for an entire game.

Last edited:
Something not discussed here, but I'm hopeful going up against the 3-3-5 every day in practice helps his development w/ reading defenses, specifically blitzes

So - that streak of 100-something passes without an INT since then doesn’t count for anything? :rolleyes:
But honestly after throwing a few interceptions early it seemed like he avoided contested throws and played it safe unless it was a heave down field. Of course, that could be what Dino ordered in light of the rib injury.

Look, Tommy can sling it with the best of them no doubt about it.

However, Tommy tends to lock in on a single WR and will take the tough throw instead of the 5-7 yard gain especially early on. I watched several games back last season and you can see his WRs and sometimes TE wide open.

His awareness in the pocket can be rough and was displayed all season last season, however, he was constantly hurried and had his mental clock in his head thrown way off.

If TD can start getting it to multiple WRs this season, I think he will do a lot better and be a very solid and serviceable qb.

but I don’t think we will be seeing TD leave early for the draft or be in the hunt for a heisman.

Look, Tommy can sling it with the best of them no doubt about it.

However, Tommy tends to lock in on a single WR and will take the tough throw instead of the 5-7 yard gain especially early on. I watched several games back last season and you can see his WRs and sometimes TE wide open.

His awareness in the pocket can be rough and was displayed all season last season, however, he was constantly hurried and had his mental clock in his head thrown way off.

If TD can start getting it to multiple WRs this season, I think he will do a lot better and be a very solid and serviceable qb.

but I don’t think we will be seeing TD leave early for the draft or be in the hunt for a heisman.

170 or so straight passes without an INT contradicts your assessment that he forces tough throws.

Tommy threw for 3 TDs in about 10 minutes of game time against UNC in ‘18.

So clearly we’re looking at about 18 TD passes against your Heels on Saturday. Maybe 17, since Dino is a nice guy and won’t want to run it up.

Just a heads up.

170 or so straight passes without an INT contradicts your assessment that he forces tough throws.

You’re right, he started sitting on the ball and taking sacks.

Bigger question to me is how do adams and howard feel if both pierre and jordan come out and carve it up, gotta think the guys that stuck with ohana will get more a nod next year... if the line can hold devito will dissect the field but we gotta keep them honest with the run game.

You’re right, he started sitting on the ball and taking sacks.
I would say he started throwing the ball away more. But could you blame him. There was rarely time to find receiver #1 let alone move on to #2 or #3. Sometimes he got sack even before he could drop back.

I would say he started throwing the ball away more. But could you blame him. There was rarely time to find receiver #1 let alone move on to #2 or #3. Sometimes he got sack even before he could drop back.

rewatch the Maryland game...

I’m not saying I think TD is bad...I’m just saying if you don’t have some concerns for TD you need to take the orange colored glasses off.

He won’t be leaving early to be a first round draft pick unless something drastically changes and that’s a fact.

with that being said, OL last season did absolutely NO favors for him.

rewatch the Maryland game...

I’m not saying I think TD is bad...I’m just saying if you don’t have some concerns for TD you need to take the orange colored glasses off.

He won’t be leaving early to be a first round draft pick unless something drastically changes and that’s a fact.

with that being said, OL last season did absolutely NO favors for him.
I never suggested he would be leaving early for the NFL. I said he will be the top returning ACC QB next season.

Not down on him at all. I think the normal growing pains of an inexperienced starter got significantly magnified when the OL got blown up and things went bad real quick. That said I think he showed guts playing hurt, things got better last few games and there's reason for optimism. Especially if he and Taj have ironed things out - clearly they were not on the same page past season.

I never suggested he would be leaving early for the NFL. I said he will be the top returning ACC QB next season.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

not sure you know this but the team we are playing this weekend has a kid name Sam Howell who threw for 3,641 yards and 38 tds in his true freshman year...

TD is good but...he’s not going to be that

Tommy threw for 3 TDs in about 10 minutes of game time against UNC in ‘18.

So clearly we’re looking at about 18 TD passes against your Heels on Saturday. Maybe 17, since Dino is a nice guy and won’t want to run it up.

Just a heads up.

lord, I hope so.

I would love to eat that crow for what I’ve said about TD

Things have a way of shifting. Going into 2019, TD was rated by Athlon as the third best QB in the ACC. It didn’t turn out that way last year. Let’s see what happens this year... with TD, with Howell, with others. Who elevates. Who returns. Who is unable to return. Nothing is as people expect it to be.

Stats. He had great stats but that is what he has been taught. Take a sack instead of throwing the ball away, and never throw the ball to a receiver unless he is wide open. Great stats but his inability to release the ball will doom us . No team can overcome sacks. Also, his red zone decisions are very troubling. He should have a short leash. I hope I'm wrong but its hard to believe the confidence of him in this thread. He holds onto the ball too long and constantly backpedals...
....but I guess its all the OL's fault. He won't throw the ball for a 5 yard gain but its there. Reading this thread is strange because he is part of the problem, hopefully this year he is part of the solution. He just has to trust his arm and throw the darn ball. Everytime he is outside the pocket, running around and takes a sack...i want to know why he didn't throw the ball in the stands? Don't any of you? Seriously.

Several teams have been pretty successful over the years having mere competent QB's. TD is better than competent. Part of the issue may be that he got built up maybe a little too much waiting for him. The worst I can say about him is he may not be the best QB to have with a porous line. Given time we've got skill players good enough for TD to be successful.

Stats. He had great stats but that is what he has been taught. Take a sack instead of throwing the ball away, and never throw the ball to a receiver unless he is wide open. Great stats but his inability to release the ball will doom us . No team can overcome sacks. Also, his red zone decisions are very troubling. He should have a short leash. I hope I'm wrong but its hard to believe the confidence of him in this thread. He holds onto the ball too long and constantly backpedals...
...but I guess its all the OL's fault. He won't throw the ball for a 5 yard gain but its there. Reading this thread is strange because he is part of the problem, hopefully this year he is part of the solution. He just has to trust his arm and throw the darn ball. Everytime he is outside the pocket, running around and takes a sack...i want to know why he didn't throw the ball in the stands? Don't any of you? Seriously.

yes, all of this.

he’s a stat pusher and I have been saying it since last year.

he pads his stats and he did it big time in end of games last season when we were down by 3 scores or more.

I think when this season is over, TD will be the top ACC QB going into 2021.
I saw howells 2019 highlights and man that kid was good for a true freshman. He’s going to take the mantle in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.