How many Syracuse fans are there? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

How many Syracuse fans are there?

Dean came out with a new pod tonight. Anyone worried about NIL needs to listen. A very different narrative than what’s coming from the local billionaire, the Edwards family, and our .com boys.
where can i find the podcast?

Dean came out with a new pod tonight. Anyone worried about NIL needs to listen. A very different narrative than what’s coming from the local billionaire, the Edwards family, and our .com boys.

Yep a ton of good stuff across the board.

Times are tough for a lot of Americans right now and budgets are stretched thin. From groceries to fuel to rent, everything costs more. If you're a Central New York family with a modest household income, being asked to give $100 to pay an athlete, when you could use that money to save for retirement, fund your kids college account, or give to an actual charity like Make-a-Wish, etc. is a big ask.

I'm sensing a lot of tone-deafness in this thread.
Times are tough for a lot of Americans right now and budgets are stretched thin. From groceries to fuel to rent, everything costs more. If you're a Central New York family with a modest household income, being asked to give $100 to pay an athlete, when you could use that money to save for retirement, fund your kids college account, or give to an actual charity like Make-a-Wish, etc. is a big ask.

I'm sensing a lot of tone-deafness in this thread.

Post was for those complaining about product that is fueled by NIL now and refusing to contribute and expecting others to handle the same. Those in this thread.

If you don't have the means or don't want to contribute that's completely fine. Just don't complain about the product or push expectations on others to take care of the new reality. That's what is tone deaf.

You don't want to play in this field, that's an individual choice. Just stop telling the University and others its their fault and they need to cure the situation for your personal entertainment.

I'm actually surprised people are having such a hard time understanding this new reality.

Lastly, if the extra $50 or $100 annually is gonna determine your retirement or your child attending college, I agree you shouldn't donate to NIL or any other charitable causes. Probably shouldn't attend games or buy merchandise either.

Lastly, if the extra $50 or $100 annually is gonna determine your retirement or your child attending college, I agree you shouldn't donate to NIL or any other charitable causes. Probably shouldn't attend games or buy merchandise either.
Ok you spoke your piece. Now you can step down from your pulpit.

Post was for those complaining about product that is fueled by NIL now and refusing to contribute and expecting others to handle the same. Those in this thread.

If you don't have the means or don't want to contribute that's completely fine. Just don't complain about the product or push expectations on others to take care of the new reality. That's what is tone deaf.

You don't want to play in this field, that's an individual choice. Just stop telling the University and others its their fault and they need to cure the situation for your personal entertainment.

I'm actually surprised people are having such a hard time understanding this new reality.

Exactly.

Yeah well said no disagreement. I was going for the same thing in my post but yours is better said.

Ok you spoke your piece. Now you can step down from your pulpit.
If $100 is too much for someone to donate, they shouldn't donate. To me, Syracuse basketball is great entertainment. And well worth that investment. But if it is too much, don't get upset that others aren't investing or that our Basketball product can't compete with others who do raise the money to compete. This is the world we are now in.

If $100 is too much for someone to donate, they shouldn't donate. To me, Syracuse basketball is great entertainment. And well worth that investment. But if it is too much, don't get upset that others aren't investing or that our Basketball product can't compete with others who do raise the money to compete. This is the world we are now in.
Not disagreeing with that but I will disagree when someone comes on here and tells someone else that if they don't donate to NIL then they shouldn't be attending games or be buying merchandise.

How many on this thread said they wouldn’t contribute? How many cited financial reasons? And how many who didn’t cite financial reasons are also complaining that Syracuse is way behind on NIL resources?

You are manufacturing this complaint about a portion of the fanbase being hypocrites that doesn’t really exist.

Where do you go to listen to his podcasts? I can’t find any up to date podcasts.

How many on this thread said they wouldn’t contribute? How many cited financial reasons? And how many who didn’t cite financial reasons are also complaining that Syracuse is way behind on NIL resources?

You are manufacturing this complaint about a portion of the fanbase being hypocrites that doesn’t really exist.

Don't see any manufacturing here. Just laying out the scenarios irrespective of "volume".

I will tack on as budget counseling is part of my line of work for 20 years. I would instruct a counselor every time to advise a client of not buying those tickets or apparel if it is a strain on their budget. It sounds condescending in this context but it's not wrong. We all make our own decisions so we can also say piss off.

Last edited:
It’s ironic that everyone wants ESPN to raise revenue to the ACC. Remember, there’s a reason cable bills keep going up. We‘re basically making a donation to SU every time you pay your cable bill. You want more revenue, fans will continue to pay higher cable bills. NIL is a decision everyone needs to make on their own. It’s funny that two of our guests last year to the Syracusefan tailgate transferred out of SU. Maybe they should reimburse the tailgate the NIL money they received. There’s no guarantee that athletes getting NIL money will remain at SU.

So if you don’t contribute to NIL yet have spent tens of thousands if not far more over the years you have to sit back and keep your mouth shut? That is beyond ridiculous and I hope your realize how stupid sounds.

Rich people asking starting collectives to make someone rich who will be even more rich in the future for a university who is rich.

If this is the future, I could care less if there are any athletics at the university level anymore.

You Are Dumb Mario Lopez GIF

So if you don’t contribute to NIL yet have spent tens of thousands if not far more over the years you have to sit back and keep your mouth shut? That is beyond ridiculous and I hope your realize how stupid sounds.

Rich people asking starting collectives to make someone rich who will be even more rich in the future for a university who is rich.

If this is the future, I could care less if there are any athletics at the university level anymore.

Historical spending wasn't really referenced but its a good point. That absolutely should matter too. Personally I was grandfathering that into my thoughts but just didn't call it out.

The fans pay for tickets, parking, "preferred seating" to keep the seats they had and must contribute to the University to retain their parking spot. And now they have to pay the players because none of that money can be used to directly pay the players.

The fans pay for tickets, parking, "preferred seating" to keep the seats they had and must contribute to the University to retain their parking spot. And now they have to pay the players because none of that money can be used to directly pay the players.
I don't know why there isn't an option to donate to the charity of your choice when you buy tickets. Supermarkets do it all the time

I get that, it’s getting excessive. What happens next? “We didn’t collect enough money, make sure you donate more!”

I get that, it’s getting excessive. What happens next? “We didn’t collect enough money, make sure you donate more!”

Too bad the ACC, when whining about ACC hoops programs being below standard would work on advocating conference TV contract money to support NIL funds at the schools somehow.

Too bad the ACC, when whining about ACC hoops programs being below standard would work on advocating conference TV contract money to support NIL funds at the schools somehow.
What I don’t get is they can use the players faces and names during commercials but they can’t pay the players? This is borderline insanity.

The University just drove off a guy rich enough, and possibly, stupid and crazy enough, to fuel a chunk of our NIL needs. But, you don't think small fry fans can complain about NIL, unless we are donating a dinner-a-year's worth of money; on a sports fans forum no less.

Sorry My friend but I am an 85 year old Retiree and living on mostly a fixed income. As much as I would like to donate I just can't fit it in my budget any more. I retired in 1998 and still love SU Sports .
Hey, God bless. Good for you. Hope I get to 85 years old and still able to post.

You see this at the high school level a lot - especially at small schools in NY - school offers sports but cites $ problems limiting new equipment, uniforms, etc.. Parent groups start fundraising and buying and all of a sudden that becomes their responsibility forever. One of the many reasons I think a number of NY public high schools will be out of the sports business in my lifetime.

As for SU, I understand everyone has their own thoughts and not sure anyone is wrong. For me my money goes towards my seat, my contribution to the athletic department, and spending money at the games. For me, it is the school's job to put the product together. IF Cuse can't do it they should opt out and I will decide what I want to support at that juncture. I have however given the guy at Chucks a couple grand - priorities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom