How much you love your orange????? | Syracusefan.com

How much you love your orange?????

gilardino

Starter
Just for fun, and please don't go off that this is stupid, etc. I had a conversation with a friend. I am a die hard cowboys fan, he is a die hard giants. I said to him, 'You now the final four is in Jerry's world. Let's say we can get back there, would you wear a dallas cowboys hat for 30 minutes walking around downtown dallas?" He says to me that I am nuts. My point is how much do you love your orange? Giant fans chime in. Think of the memory , and think Syracuse in Dallas in April. Chime in. (BTW my friend said 15 minutes tops)

My perspective on what's important has changed dramatically since our daughter was born three years ago. But Syracuse sports fandom is a passion that I inherited from my father, who's been a season ticket holder for more than forty years.

I can honestly say that outside of family, the Orange[men] are my main passion. I'd say that all of my friends [I went to college and currently live away from CNY] identify me as an SU fan--probably one of the first things they think of when they think of me. And I've converted quite a few "fans" in various places over the years. One of my good friends here in Minneapolis is a Gophers fan / alum, and he lamented last year that whenever he sees Syracuse games on TV now, he gets sucked in.

My dad and I travel to see away games, bowl games, NCAA tournament games, lax games, etc. We follow recruiting and enjoy talking about SU sports--especially leading up to games. This shared passion we have is something that I enjoy having in common with my dad--really a lot of fun.

There used to be a time when a loss in SU football, lax, or hoops would ruin my entire week. I got desensitized quite a bit during the GRob era, but I think its safe to say that I bleed Orange. I love following this team, and I love even more that its something that my dad and I both really, really, really enjoy.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Many years ago, we took the kids to the Detroit Zoo. The rhinoceros pen had the most foul odor I have ever experienced in my life, thus originating this response to my kids asking "how much do you love me?" 'I love you more than a rhinoceros pen stinks.' So too for my Orange.

Just for fun, and please don't go off that this is stupid, etc. I had a conversation with a friend. I am a die hard cowboys fan, he is a die hard giants. I said to him, 'You now the final four is in Jerry's world. Let's say we can get back there, would you wear a dallas cowboys hat for 30 minutes walking around downtown dallas?" He says to me that I am nuts. My point is how much do you love your orange? Giant fans chime in. Think of the memory , and think Syracuse in Dallas in April. Chime in. (BTW my friend said 15 minutes tops)
I would never wear a cowboys hat because i would have to cut my head off.

Su giants and yankees. No order. Like having three kids. I love them all equally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved to Chicago about 9 years ago from Rochester. Grew up in Cortland and graduated from SUNY Brockport.

My freshman year was 1995 and the internet was brand spanking new. I remember discovering the ESPN football forums and that is where I first engaged other hardcore fans of opposing teams. I don't know why I did this but I got involved in a heated exchange with a VT fan. During this conversation I stated I was the son of SU's DB Coach. Once again, not sure why I said this as I had zero affiliation with the University at that time. I began to break down the weaknesses of each of their WR's.

If memory serves, we got throttled by VT that week. Not sure what the score was but I knew I had to eat crow. I trekked back to the computer lab, because thats where people went when they had to use the internet in 1995. That same VT fan was, of course, on the forum again. He proceeds to tell me how his buddy was a student manager for the football team and they had my post..."posterized in their locker room".

Needless to say I've been blaming myself for that loss for since then. :(

Some years later, my younger brother ended up going to Syracuse so that somewhat justified my Syracuse obssession amongst my friends. I'm proud to say I'm one of the original members of the syracusefan forum. I'm more lurker than poster now. I've still check the board every day. I've had the pleasure of meeting CTO, Bees and a few other folks from the board many, many years ago during a spring football game.

My perspective on what's important has changed dramatically since our daughter was born three years ago. But Syracuse sports fandom is a passion that I inherited from my father, who's been a season ticket holder for more than forty years.

I can honestly say that outside of family, the Orange[men] are my main passion. I'd say that all of my friends [I went to college and currently live away from CNY] identify me as an SU fan--probably one of the first things they think of when they think of me. And I've converted quite a few "fans" in various places over the years. One of my good friends here in Minneapolis is a Gophers fan / alum, and he lamented last year that whenever he sees Syracuse games on TV now, he gets sucked in.

My dad and I travel to see away games, bowl games, NCAA tournament games, lax games, etc. We follow recruiting and enjoy talking about SU sports--especially leading up to games. This shared passion we have is something that I enjoy having in common with my dad--really a lot of fun.

There used to be a time when a loss in SU football, lax, or hoops would ruin my entire week. I got desensitized quite a bit during the GRob era, but I think its safe to say that I bleed Orange. I love following this team, and I love even more that its something that my dad and I both really, really, really enjoy.

Let's Go Orange!!!
Losses used to eat me up for a week. Now its easier to get over. Indiana i still havent gotten over. That and illinois and arkansas. Butler was a out a month and michigan last year took a couple of weeks. Other than those i am a quick healer these days.

I take giants losses the hardest because there is only one game a week and losses in the nfl are more damaging for post season with only 16 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My list of favorite sports teams is rather eclectic since I've lived in a handful of major markets and developed an appreciation for different sports at different times in my life. But for me Syracuse basketball will always reign supreme and will always be my "first love" since my first (several) live sporting events as a child were at Manley when I was 4 and 5 years old. I would, without hesitation, run naked through the streets of any major city, for 30+ minutes, donning the sports logo of a bettor's choosing, if it meant the successful return to the FF for the Orange. You don't even wanna know what I'd be willing to do for another NC. :D

The losses don't hurt as much any more aside from Notre Dame in 2012 when I turned down some guaranteed action and a promise to "make you feel better" to go home and be alone. And Butler, which I'm still mad about.

But now I try to just savor the wins and savor this period that we are going through with hoops because there really is no guarantee that it will last forever. The last five seasons have been so much fun and these teams have been such a pleasure to watch, but 06-08 wasn't that long ago.

Call me beat down from Robinson, but with football I'm just happy to know that we have a chance to win every game we play. Even with Clemson and FSU this year, if things go right for us, we can win those games. From 05-08 I just hoped to keep it close...within 3 touchdowns.

But as far as my fandom, if you're going to ask me to do something during a football or basketball game someone better be sick or getting born or married because I'm not missing that game.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

The losses don't hurt as much any more aside from Notre Dame in 2012 when I turned down some guaranteed action and a promise to "make you feel better" to go home and be alone. And Butler, which I'm still mad about.

But now I try to just savor the wins and savor this period that we are going through with hoops because there really is no guarantee that it will last forever. The last five seasons have been so much fun and these teams have been such a pleasure to watch, but 06-08 wasn't that long ago.

Call me beat down from Robinson, but with football I'm just happy to know that we have a chance to win every game we play. Even with Clemson and FSU this year, if things go right for us, we can win those games. From 05-08 I just hoped to keep it close...within 3 touchdowns.

But as far as my fandom, if you're going to ask me to do something during a football or basketball game someone better be sick or getting born or married because I'm not missing that game.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Not making the tournament in '06-07 stands out as the most hurt I have ever been. All I remember is not talking for the next 2 days and the rage growing day by day.

Let's Go Orange!!!

You need a son RF (kidding)... I have a boy and a girl, both 4. I am well on the way to completely corrupting my son into all things Orange. I have tried my absolute best with my daughter and she wants little of it. She understands the basics, wears an SU cheerleading outfit and knows Georgetown suck (or as the kids call them, George-a-town), but it's nothing like my son. He already has it down that Clemson is the wrong color of orange (backstory, we live in SC suburbs of Charlotte and have about 6 houses on our block with Clemson fans) and Duke 'are a bunch of floppers.' In retrospect, I may be setting my son up for some abuse on the playground...

Been blessed to see my Giants, Yankees and Islanders win chips over the years. Just missed the Knicks as I was born late in 1973.
Even more blessed for my son and wife. My son already knows how important it is to be an Orange fan and has seen one game this past season. We don't need to mention the game as it was played at MSG. :eek:

All said, SU is far and away my favorite team to watch and as mentioned, still pains me when they lose heartbreakers. More importantly, thrills me like no other team when they win.

I am such a Syracuse fan that I never have to look at a Chinese food menu to know what i'm ordering. Orange Chicken all the way.

F the Cowboys. The only time I've ever nearly gotten into a fight at a sporting event was when I went to the Cowboys/Eagles MNF game (the DeSean Jackson dropping the ball at the goal line game) wearing an Iggles shirt and after the game a Cowboys fan walked by starting to talk smack, and I politely told him to fornicate with himself.

Anyway, I'm in a similar boat as RF in that things are definitely different since having my son a couple years ago, though my goal is still to put him in orange as often as possible (and as I live in Texas and my wife's uncle was a linebacker at UT, it's going to be a challenge to not have it be BURNT orange) and get him ready to run the point for SU in about 16 years.

How much do I love Syracuse sports?

Like RF said, once my daughter was born, order of importance changed. Slightly. However, from a sports perspective, I literally bleed Orange. I am a bigger football fan than basketball, but they both make or break my day depending on the outcome of a game. It's actually quite disturbing. If they lose, I don't want to talk to anyone for several hours. If they win, it's like I hit the damn powerball. I typically lose my voice during any game because of my ridiculous screaming. I love being at football games because I can see the whole field and watch plays develop, but I actually like showing up early to watch the players warm up and see who is perusing the sidelines (recruits, former players, etc). Same goes for bball games. Not to mention I love tailgating for nothing other than SU football and bball.

I share a very common passion for SU sports with my wife, which is an awesome deal. I don't have to beg her to go to games because she is right next to me at most of them. Cannot wait to start bringing my daughter to games with me once she gets older. It will become a family affair. She will not have an option as far as who her favorite teams are: Syracuse, NY Giants, Yankees, Knicks. She already wears SU stuff. So damn cute!

Oh and did I mention I spend about 3-4 hours/day on this board? That might also tell you something about where my love for SU is at...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom