How to handle the Uber negative fan sitting next to you | Syracusefan.com

How to handle the Uber negative fan sitting next to you

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
Okay, friends. I have a problem. A father/son duo have new season tickets and sit to my right. Kid is 17 and I think played football. This kid (and to a lesser extent his dad) yell negative things about individual players and the team non-stop. My daughter and six people sitting in front of us are all sick of it. I tried kidding the kid about his negativity but that didn’t really work.

I have thought about talking to his dad privately. I have thought about addressing it more seriously with the son. So, my fellow fans, tell me true. How would you handle this problem? Our season may be difficult enough without Hekyl and Jekyl screaming invective at the team. I await your responses with interest.

Okay, friends. I have a problem. A father/son duo have new season tickets and sit to my right. Kid is 17 and I think played football. This kid (and to a lesser extent his dad) yell negative things about individual players and the team non-stop. My daughter and six people sitting in front of us are all sick of it. I tried kidding the kid about his negativity but that didn’t really work.

I have thought about talking to his dad privately. I have thought about addressing it more seriously with the son. So, my fellow fans, tell me true. How would you handle this problem? Our season may be difficult enough without Hekyl and Jekyl screaming invective at the team. I await your responses with interest.
ahh wonder which posters on this board Hekyl and Jekyl are ;)

A civilized approach is best. I would ask the dad if he wanted a beer and privately ask him to consider toning down for the sake of the kids who live for these family time games.

An awkward walk to get beer could build bridges for all future games.

Option 2- discussion with dome personnel for seat reassignment.

Gotta be addressed or you will always be sitting there anticipating problems

Easy for me to say. Good luck!

I’m in town for the game tonight. Come get me. I’ll knock him the out.

Jk. Pm me their seat numbers and I’ll have an accident with the nachos and drinks.

I reserve the right to tell all the players that they stink thank u very much

/s

In a much more real sense it's unfortunate because if they have season tickets and you have season tickets I wouldn't confront them about it. I would go straight to an usher as they have handled this many more times. If you confront them and THEN tell an usher it could get awkward as they'll know they were tattled on.

I would just talk to your usher and have them keep an eye on things. Not your job to have to confront negative fans, you know?

That's a tough one.

I have no problem with fans actively rooting for the team, instead of just sitting on their hands the entire game.

BUT an onslaught of nothing but negativity is annoying.

And I'm of the mindset that kids should be seen and not heard -- and that still applies to 17 year olds, IMO. If I'm an adult at the game, I don't want to be subjected to some 17 year old having a temper tantrum every play.

Are they saying anything inappropriate? If not, I don't think there's much that can be done.

You can’t really do anything because that’s how they feel and it’s their right to talk trash.

A good throat punch works.
1545167221182.png

Yeah idk. My take is unless they’re inappropriate all they’re really doing is bothering you and the way you root. You wouldn’t want them to tell you to “sit down” or something like that. I’d say the only thing you can do is move or hope it gets better or they move.
Try something really minor that would make them want to move their seats. Like farting, or not showering.

When I had seasons I always was vocal and had a bad habit of calling players by their full names. Like “yeah Antonio!” (Scoop) or “c’mon Carl!” (CJ). I know it drove my neighbors nuts to a degree.

Nothing chokes uber negativity more than over the top positivity. Ushers will only bring snippy hostility to the dance, a nice friendly talk won't do the trick, reason will fall flat and a targeted spilled beer won't make the point. Besides, you can't regulate what they say if it's not inappropriate. For every player diss maybe make sure you're louder about every good play. Drown them out with syrup. They may get the point. And, then again, they may not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom