How to turn the program around in one year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How to turn the program around in one year

If we added Starling, all we would need would be Judah coming back. That would be the best backcourt in the conference, and possibly the nation.
Starling could fill the Girard role decently. He’s not the shooter his pct says he is right now and thats a product of Notre Dame’s limited talent/O. Our O is stale but there’s is garbage.

Worry less about creating and facilitating, and more about getting open in his spots and stretching the defense.

Thats only if Judah comes back which imo isnt happening.

Starling’s a bit limited right now without creators and slashers around him.

If we added Starling, all we would need would be Judah coming back. That would be the best backcourt in the conference, and possibly the nation.
Girard is significantly better than Starling right now. He needs to make some significant improvement to be a Power 5 level starter.

Girard is significantly better than Starling right now. He needs to make some significant improvement to be a Power 5 level starter.
I'm a little leery about Starling also. He can definitely make a sophomore leap, but I have to admit that after both ND games, I looked at the box score and thought "Oh yeah I forgot he was playing."

Why? I love JJ and knew the family. But he really struggled this year. He’d have to go a long long ways to be part of the top backcourt in the ACC and possibly the nation.

I’m sure people will disagree but I think the most important player to bring back is Jesse. IMO it’s harder to replace an excellent center.

Not far behind is a lead guard that can do what Judah does on both ends of the court. 1a and 1b importance wise.

Agreed. Judah and Quadir could be very good defensively at the top of the zone. Both just need refinement.
You can't have a PG and SG that both don't shoot the 3 (well). That's an offensive scheme & spacing nightmare in modern basketball.

Agreed. Judah and Quadir could be very good defensively at the top of the zone. Both just need refinement.
Except that Quadir can't shoot a lick from beyond 5 feet. He can't play SG.

I’m sure people will disagree but I think the most important player to bring back is Jesse. IMO it’s harder to replace an excellent center.
Think its easier to replace a good scoring center if the incoming replacement is a physical rebounder.

We’re a bubble team if we were even remotely competent rebounding on defense. That has to be our biggest weakness

Jesse gets a lot of boards before the end of the game, but the lack of physicality downlow also provides an unforgivable amount of 2nd chance opps for the opposing team which introduces a variety of other issues

I don't see Jesse coming back. He should have opportunities to play for pay in some Euro league. Also he's been here for 4 years and just have the impression that he's ready for a change. I don't see Judah getting drafted. He's not a good enough shooter which is paramount these days for NBA guards. He also needs to get a lot stronger. He needs another year. I would not be surprised though if he transferred to a school that is a near lock to play in the NCAAT because he needs that exposure next year to enhance his draft status. I can see Joe back if the NIL is good enough. If Joe comes back and with Moore already recruited for the next year, that could cause Taylor to transfer as his PT at SG (his best position) would be blocked. Benny I assume is 99% sure to transfer. He needs a change and to go somewhere that plays m-2-m. Bell is a high likelihood to transfer also IMO. He was chewed out all year which isn't fun. So I expect LOTS of change to next year's roster. Under my scenario we need to hit the portal for a starting PG, C, SF at a minimum. Do top guys want to come and play for a 79 year old coach? Do they want to sign up for playing 100% zone? Both are negatives. If Red or Gerry take over do they want to come to situation with a rookie HC? Going to be interesting to see what happens.

Why? I love JJ and knew the family. But he really struggled this year. He’d have to go a long long ways to be part of the top backcourt in the ACC and possibly the nation.
Starling possesses elite speed and quickness, just based on the eye test I have very little doubt he is a pro, and soon.

Two guards who can put the ball on the floor and attack the rim is what we've needed for quite some time.

Copeland was recruited as a point guard. He can't shoot but he can pass very well and could be that big disruptor at the top of the zone we've needed for years now.

He might want to lose the Brandon Miller "pat down".

It starts and ends with the coach. If JB stays we will be really bad. If he leaves we will probably still be bad but there is hope.

If you think JB is turning this around all the sudden you are delusional. It’s just wishful thinking. Not gonna happen.

Lol what I’d do for one more year of Judah

Wouldn’t hate if Copeland got molded into a Theo Pinson like ball handling guard. That kid was a true x factor

Portal wise…

PLAYERS WHO PLAY ABOVE THE RIM
I read that Judah was waxing rapturously about the Friday night gathering, a little starry-eyed about seeing all the old players and the “culture” of our SU program. Maybe there’s a good chance he returns.

I read that Judah was waxing rapturously about the Friday night gathering, a little starry-eyed about seeing all the old players and the “culture” of our SU program. Maybe there’s a good chance he returns.
Depends on what the draft guys tell him. And if he doesn’t go in the draft there will be a full court press attack on him to transfer.
It would certainly be great to have him back but being realistic I don’t see it.

I’ve seen a lot of people already throwing next year away which makes no sense to me. This is college basketball, not college football. Pitt was terrible last year and now they are good. Anything can happen next season.

Here’s the plan on how to be good regardless who the coach is.

Convince Edwards, Girard, and Mintz to come back. This is where we should be spending our NIL. They are about 70% of this teams production.

Keep the freshmen to build continuity. Our biggest issue with all the transfers we have had is we keep starting from square one. Convince Bell, Copeland and Taylor to give it another year where they may just be role players. Their time will come as juniors.

Get a forward in the portal that can do a bit of everything. I’m thinking someone like Kris Joseph. This is also where our NIL should be spent and what we are missing this season.

If Edwards does leave we need to pound the portal for a center. We cannot count on Hima to man the middle next year.

If Girard and/or Mintz leave I fully expect us to sign JJ Starling. I’m not as high on him as most here, but maybe he will round Into form close to home.

Finally we need to install a man to man defense so we don’t rely on the zone 100% for a multitude of reasons.

We really need to be active in the portal in the off-season. If Miami and Pitt can build a team in one year so can we.
Agree. We need to do everything we can to keep Judah and Jesse, especially Judah (though I know that depends on his pro evaluations). As for Joe, I love the kid. He’s had an incredible career here. He plays with grit and heart and he’s really developed into a very good offensive player, and I hope he can close out his career with an ACC tourney run. But he’s a defensive liability, as many people say. So I do think it would make more sense to pursue a big shooting guard from the portal who has good size and can shoot and drive to the basket, but could also play the top of the zone (assuming it’s Red and we play at least some zone, hopefully not anywhere near 100 percent).

Depends on what the draft guys tell him. And if he doesn’t go in the draft there will be a full court press attack on him to transfer.
It would certainly be great to have him back but being realistic I don’t see it.
I think his return totally depends on his draft stock and whether he goes pro. I just can’t see him transferring. Red will sell him that we can and will build a championship team around him by pounding the portal aggressively and getting the best players we can at SG, SF and center (if Jesse doesn’t return). What big wing wouldn’t want to play with Judah? If he comes back to college, he’ll be one of the best players in the country next year. I think they also have to commit to playing both man to man and zone next season, no more 100 percent zone.

Think its easier to replace a good scoring center if the incoming replacement is a physical rebounder.

We’re a bubble team if we were even remotely competent rebounding on defense. That has to be our biggest weakness

Jesse gets a lot of boards before the end of the game, but the lack of physicality downlow also provides an unforgivable amount of 2nd chance opps for the opposing team which introduces a variety of other issues
I think the rebounding deficiency was mostly at the forward positions.

Most players don't enter the portal just to be a side piece at a different school. They're looking for starters minutes.

I'm sure there are a lot of guys interested in transferring here, but only if a lot of guys leave.
See this is where I think fans are wrong and a great coach and recruiter can make a huge difference in convincing key guys to return AND entice 2-3 good transfers (depending on our needs) to come in. Do you really think a potential high-level transfer is going to be afraid of competition from Chris Bell and Justin Taylor? No. Not at all. Taylor and Bell are good developmental players who need to come back and work their butts off and become key subs, 6th-8th men, next season and aim to become starters by their junior years. That should be the plan. I gotta believe that Taylor understands that and will be patient. I have no idea on Bell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom