How to turn the program around in one year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

How to turn the program around in one year

I think the rebounding deficiency was mostly at the forward positions.
Jesse’s defensive rebounding was not great. He benefitted because he and Joe were the only ones giving consistent effort.

Maliq got bullied towards the end of the year

I’ve seen a lot of people already throwing next year away which makes no sense to me. This is college basketball, not college football. Pitt was terrible last year and now they are good. Anything can happen next season.

Here’s the plan on how to be good regardless who the coach is.

Convince Edwards, Girard, and Mintz to come back. This is where we should be spending our NIL. They are about 70% of this teams production.

Keep the freshmen to build continuity. Our biggest issue with all the transfers we have had is we keep starting from square one. Convince Bell, Copeland and Taylor to give it another year where they may just be role players. Their time will come as juniors.

Get a forward in the portal that can do a bit of everything. I’m thinking someone like Kris Joseph. This is also where our NIL should be spent and what we are missing this season.

If Edwards does leave we need to pound the portal for a center. We cannot count on Hima to man the middle next year.

If Girard and/or Mintz leave I fully expect us to sign JJ Starling. I’m not as high on him as most here, but maybe he will round Into form close to home.

Finally we need to install a man to man defense so we don’t rely on the zone 100% for a multitude of reasons.

We really need to be active in the portal in the off-season. If Miami and Pitt can build a team in one year so can we.
Truthfully, all those guys come back we’re in great shape. We mix in some man and the growth and experience alone will make us damned good.

I’m sure people will disagree but I think the most important player to bring back is Jesse. IMO it’s harder to replace an excellent center.

Agree, ESPECIALLY if they're looking to play a 2-3 zone.

See this is where I think fans are wrong and a great coach and recruiter can make a huge difference in convincing key guys to return AND entice 2-3 good transfers (depending on our needs) to come in. Do you really think a potential high-level transfer is going to be afraid of competition from Chris Bell and Justin Taylor? No. Not at all. Taylor and Bell are good developmental players who need to come back and work their butts off and become key subs, 6th-8th men, next season and aim to become starters by their junior years. That should be the plan. I gotta believe that Taylor understands that and will be patient. I have no idea on Bell.
Wrong. A good coach is respected by players. He gives advice based on what is best for each player. That is what JB has always done. Remember what he told Melo after Melo announced that he was returning, "Get the -- off my campus."
If we were in a position to win a NC there would be a case to be made. That surely is not the case even if they all came back.

So the way to fix the sinking ship is to bring back basically everyone who set course for the iceberg? Except for a do-it-all forward? Got it
If, for instance, this season we had subbed out 35 minutes a game from Williams/Bell/Brown/Taylor for the same number of minutes from Cole Swider, how many more wins would we have this season?

I think our scoring average is 10 higher per game, and our scoring defense only at worst 2-3 (at least Cole could rebound and knew where he's supposed to be in the zone) points worse per game.

I think that nets us at least 5 extra wins, especially those early season stinkers aren't quite so bad.

So... Hypothetically, a guy we already got once would have made this years team into a bubble team.

I’ve seen a lot of people already throwing next year away which makes no sense to me. This is college basketball, not college football. Pitt was terrible last year and now they are good. Anything can happen next season.

Here’s the plan on how to be good regardless who the coach is.

Convince Edwards, Girard, and Mintz to come back. This is where we should be spending our NIL. They are about 70% of this teams production.

Keep the freshmen to build continuity. Our biggest issue with all the transfers we have had is we keep starting from square one. Convince Bell, Copeland and Taylor to give it another year where they may just be role players. Their time will come as juniors.

Get a forward in the portal that can do a bit of everything. I’m thinking someone like Kris Joseph. This is also where our NIL should be spent and what we are missing this season.

If Edwards does leave we need to pound the portal for a center. We cannot count on Hima to man the middle next year.

If Girard and/or Mintz leave I fully expect us to sign JJ Starling. I’m not as high on him as most here, but maybe he will round Into form close to home.

Finally we need to install a man to man defense so we don’t rely on the zone 100% for a multitude of reasons.

We really need to be active in the portal in the off-season. If Miami and Pitt can build a team in one year so can we.
I agree 1000 percent with this post and it would give JB the proper send off

Depends on what the draft guys tell him. And if he doesn’t go in the draft there will be a full court press attack on him to transfer.
It would certainly be great to have him back but being realistic I don’t see it.
i would put the odds of him staying in NCAA and transferring to another school at less than1%

i dont see why so many seem to think thats a high likelihood...its not.

will he come back? idk

i think he should though

this is the best car he can drive full time...and he needs hours on the road (as a PG)

but all that said,

this time last year...did any SU fans even know who Judah was??

there's plenty of time and plenty of options to rebuild whatever roster is left in the offseason.

Jesse’s defensive rebounding was not great. He benefitted because he and Joe were the only ones giving consistent effort.

Maliq got bullied towards the end of the year

LOL WUT??

Jesse averaged a double-double for the season.
Last Cuse player to do that was RickJack in 2011.
(Rak averaged 9.1)

Jesse had 12 D boards and 8 O boards in this game.

Maliq had 5 and 4.
In spite of Jesse hoovering his 20.

I think the biggest stat (besides Jesse's 27/20) was STEALS.
Jesse with FIVE, Maliq & Judah with 3 each.

The guys were finally anticipating where the ball was going to go, and tipping it away.
That's a big part of the 2-3 zone's effectiveness.
Better late than never.

Last edited:
Disagree. People don't give Jesse enough credit.
jesses rebounding was good this season...but his defensive movement in the zone was well below par...almost every team lobbed and high low passed him to death...

not entirely his fault, the scheme hangs him out to dry...but its like hes wearing concrete shoes out there a lot of the time...verrrry slowwww to react usually

even if he comes back next season something has to change...hes not going to all of a sudden become a good anchor for the defense, imo...even though he gets a lot of blocks and rebounds...its deceptive

LOL WUT??

Maliq had 5 and 4.

The guys were finally anticipating where the ball was going to go, and tipping it away.
Better late than never.
one game does not a season make...

but if theyre gonna not be able to stop open shots might as well sell out for steals on the reg

LOL WUT??

Jesse averaged a double-double for the season.
Last Cuse player to do that was RickJack in 2011.
(Rak averaged 9.1)

Maliq had 5 and 4.

Better late than never.
physical forwards and centers had their way with little trouble on the offensive boards vs our team. By no means is that all jesse’s fault, thats not what im saying. I just wouldn’t put him in the same category as Rick, Rak etc when it comes to rebounding.

This is definitely an area where stats dont tell the story.

Most players don't enter the portal just to be a side piece at a different school. They're looking for starters minutes.

I'm sure there are a lot of guys interested in transferring here, but only if a lot of guys leave.
There are more portal kids than there are open starting spots. Not all of them are going to get starter minutes.

Some don’t like coach/playing style, some want to move from MM to HM, and some just want opportunity for more minutes.

jesses rebounding was good this season...but his defensive movement in the zone was well below par...almost every team lobbed and high low passed him to death...

not entirely his fault, the scheme hangs him out to dry...but its like hes wearing concrete shoes out there a lot of the time...verrrry slowwww to react usually

even if he comes back next season something has to change...hes not going to all of a sudden become a good anchor for the defense, imo...even though he gets a lot of blocks and rebounds...its deceptive

Bill Russell couldn't cover both posts and both corners at the same time. We need a big guard who could prevent the ball from getting into the high post and forwards who can cover the wings and corners.

Bill Russell couldn't cover both posts and both corners at the same time. We need a big guard who could prevent the ball from getting into the high post and forwards who can cover the wings and corners.

Yeah, it can’t be overstated just how bad of a fit Joe is for the zone.

The same was true of Flynn, who was incredibly athletic. But that height is just a problem in the zone.

covering the corners is the least of jesses issues on defense...

I think part of it is that he just decided he will never foul...because that was such an issue...which, in a way, is good...but the collateral damage of that was severe.

I guess JB told him just dont foul out...if you have to give up easy buckets then do it...and he took that and ran with it...(or, stood still with it, if you will)

because on so many possessions where jesse never left the paint this season , the other team scored easily. layups and dunks...

whatever happens next season tht style of defense from the Center cant continue...

Jesse is talented but you can kinda tell he didnt grow up playing the game...his feel on when to do certain things is sometimes not there...so I really dont know if he could play more instinctually or not...perhaps the instructions to jesse were just oversimplified and basic and thats why his play was such...idk?

the whole point of the zone is that the guards and forwards sell out for steals and blocks and funnel play to the rim protector who doesnt give up anything...having a soft center who lets the other team go on easy pass makes a zone untenable

big picture - too many players with too many holes in their games being asked to do things they cant by the system of play...something needs to give...either change the system to fit what players can actually do...or get a roster of players that can do the system - only two options.

Last edited:
Copeland’s aggressive and makes stuff happen. He’s a freshman so that results in some turnovers.

Taylor and Bell either score or pretty much do nothing. Not saying they cant develop to do more, but Copelands already more useful in most situations once the turnovers are cut down on
In almost 100 less minutes than Bell, Taylor had 1 more rebound and 11 more steals. Avg the same ppg while shooting .063 better from the 3. Doesn't seem like a wash to me.

In almost 100 less minutes than Bell, Taylor had 1 more rebound and 11 more steals. Avg the same ppg while shooting .063 better from the 3. Doesn't seem like a wash to me.
It’s not a wash, he biased towards Bell for some reason.

Keep everyone who is left. Maybe add a good three point shooter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom