How to turn the program around in one year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How to turn the program around in one year

Looks like he’s been playing 30+ minutes every game for them lately.

I want Clingan. He hasn’t played more than 15 minutes in a game since January. He’d be a perfect Jesse replacement to play 30+ and average a double double.

Yeah I think Clingan leaving UConn would be tough to see knowing the local connection and his story.

Plus assuming Sanogo goes pro, DC will be playing 30 plus mins a game next year.

I like these players to be portal additions:
JJ Starling, G (Notre Dame)
TJ Bamba, SG (Washington St) from Bronx
Yann Ferrell, SF (St Bonaventure)
Mouhamed Gueye, C (Washington St)

Lol what I’d do for one more year of Judah

Wouldn’t hate if Copeland got molded into a Theo Pinson like ball handling guard. That kid was a true x factor

Portal wise…

PLAYERS WHO PLAY ABOVE THE RIM

Most players don't enter the portal just to be a side piece at a different school. They're looking for starters minutes.

I'm sure there are a lot of guys interested in transferring here, but only if a lot of guys leave.
all well and good but teams like Baylor won the natty with 4 or 5 good guards

any contender needs a lot of depth...

a weak bench is a recipe for a weak team

not easy to get the depth but it should be the goal

I’ve seen a lot of people already throwing next year away which makes no sense to me. This is college basketball, not college football. Pitt was terrible last year and now they are good. Anything can happen next season.

Here’s the plan on how to be good regardless who the coach is.

Convince Edwards, Girard, and Mintz to come back. This is where we should be spending our NIL. They are about 70% of this teams production.

Keep the freshmen to build continuity. Our biggest issue with all the transfers we have had is we keep starting from square one. Convince Bell, Copeland and Taylor to give it another year where they may just be role players. Their time will come as juniors.

Get a forward in the portal that can do a bit of everything. I’m thinking someone like Kris Joseph. This is also where our NIL should be spent and what we are missing this season.

If Edwards does leave we need to pound the portal for a center. We cannot count on Hima to man the middle next year.

If Girard and/or Mintz leave I fully expect us to sign JJ Starling. I’m not as high on him as most here, but maybe he will round Into form close to home.

Finally we need to install a man to man defense so we don’t rely on the zone 100% for a multitude of reasons.

We really need to be active in the portal in the off-season. If Miami and Pitt can build a team in one year so can we.
I couldn't agree more with you. I've been saying it for months. Can you imagine this same team next year? I think top 15 is very reasonable, so let's do it! Right after an improbable run to March madness!

Yep.. Judah, Joe , Quadir, Brown and Jesse. Judah with the perimeter game in year 2... or either Bell/Taylor emerges and Quadir is the 6th starter. Hima still for depth at the 5. That's 7. No idea on Carey and what he would even be able to offer. So for 8-10 would be around finding a couple guys who want to battle or be depth on a good team... thus smaller school guys or maybe even overseas. Maybe Marek has some connects or suggestions...

Also if Benny stuck around I would be shocked but would be depth still here.
Well the defense would continue to suck...

G-Rob turned the football program around in a year.
Not Funny Sarcastic Laugh GIF by Simon Rex / Dirt Nasty

Lol what I’d do for one more year of Judah

Wouldn’t hate if Copeland got molded into a Theo Pinson like ball handling guard. That kid was a true x factor

Portal wise…

PLAYERS WHO PLAY ABOVE THE RIM

Copeland was recruited as a point guard. He can't shoot but he can pass very well and could be that big disruptor at the top of the zone we've needed for years now.

So the way to fix the sinking ship is to bring back basically everyone who set course for the iceberg? Except for a do-it-all forward? Got it

Well given the topic is turning it around in a year, you aren't doing so without some continuity paired with change. Hence why it wasn't turn it around in 3 years or 5 years etc.

JB himself called out the portal loud and clear. Assuming we don't get back most of the guys then we will find out just how effective we are in the portal in a big way. 9 guys out 9 guys in? Go big or go home?

Yep zero disagreements. the guy I think can make the biggest jump too is Quadir. No he isn't consistent in games yet but he is right there. You can see it.. it's coming.

If JJ were to come and he is healthy.. that would be big. Plus I think he would excel at home

Last night was the first time I've seen a game in person this year (yeah, yeah, fair weather fan). In addition to my overall astonishment at the disadvantage the forward positions present for SU, my other related takeaway was that Copeland stood out from the rest - he could be good. Kind of plays like a young Oshae Brissett - flies around the court, gets after rebounds like they're his, and seems savvier than his over-energized game allows to shine through at this stage.

Copeland was recruited as a point guard. He can't shoot but he can pass very well and could be that big disruptor at the top of the zone we've needed for years now.

All for him being a pg on defense.

Offense wise, seems like a wasted opportunity not to have him try to be a ball handling forward. Honestly he could be our second best forward as is right now if he played the 3. He’s immediately more useful than Bell and Taylor if not for the turnovers

Offense wise, seems like a wasted opportunity not to have him try to be a ball handling forward. Honestly he could be our second best forward as is right now if he played the 3. He’s immediately more useful than Bell and Taylor if not for the turnovers

This. Positionless basketball. Hell, Marek was our ball handling center..plus while he is never going to be a shooter- his shot has enough going for it to be a 30 pct guy who can knock a few down when he has too.

Last night was the first time I've seen a game in person this year (yeah, yeah, fair weather fan). In addition to my overall astonishment at the disadvantage the forward positions present for SU, my other related takeaway was that Copeland stood out from the rest - he could be good. Kind of plays like a young Oshae Brissett - flies around the court, gets after rebounds like they're his, and seems savvier than his over-energized game allows to shine through at this stage.

Yeah I mentioned in a longer post last night as well. It's there.

None of them are “good” players yet but I think Copeland projects to be the most well-rounded.

Bell looks the most one dimensional of the 3.

Copeland also plays with the most energy IMO. He reminds me of guys like Scoop, Waiters in that “irrational confidence” regard. You need some guys like that.

None of them are “good” players yet but I think Copeland projects to be the most well-rounded.

Bell looks the most one dimensional of the 3.

Copeland also plays with the most energy IMO. He reminds me of guys like Scoop, Waiters in that “irrational confidence” regard. You need some guys like that.
Copeland’s aggressive and makes stuff happen. He’s a freshman so that results in some turnovers.

Taylor and Bell either score or pretty much do nothing. Not saying they cant develop to do more, but Copelands already more useful in most situations once the turnovers are cut down on

Tabling the coaching situation.

IMO, any potential real success next year starts and ends if we can somehow keep Judah.

There is just no way all those other guys are coming back.

After Judah, assuming Joe and Jesse are leaving, I would try to keep Brown and then I’m calling the JJs and Kamaris of the world that didn’t ball out but may still have top end potential.

I like Q as a bench guy. I like JT if he ever fully puts it together. I’m fine with Bell if he were a shooter off the bench, but no way as a starter.

But, the biggest issue is coaching. So it’s coming back to that no matter.

If we added Starling, all we would need would be Judah coming back. That would be the best backcourt in the conference, and possibly the nation.

If we added Starling, all we would need would be Judah coming back. That would be the best backcourt in the conference, and possibly the nation.
Some would say the worst shooting backcourt, as well. But the upside is that both can only improve as shooters in year 2, right? And I love seeing a guard here who actually takes it to the hole regularly, with athleticism. By gar, it's been a while...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom