How to turn the program around in one year | Syracusefan.com

How to turn the program around in one year

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I’ve seen a lot of people already throwing next year away which makes no sense to me. This is college basketball, not college football. Pitt was terrible last year and now they are good. Anything can happen next season.

Here’s the plan on how to be good regardless who the coach is.

Convince Edwards, Girard, and Mintz to come back. This is where we should be spending our NIL. They are about 70% of this teams production.

Keep the freshmen to build continuity. Our biggest issue with all the transfers we have had is we keep starting from square one. Convince Bell, Copeland and Taylor to give it another year where they may just be role players. Their time will come as juniors.

Get a forward in the portal that can do a bit of everything. I’m thinking someone like Kris Joseph. This is also where our NIL should be spent and what we are missing this season.

If Edwards does leave we need to pound the portal for a center. We cannot count on Hima to man the middle next year.

If Girard and/or Mintz leave I fully expect us to sign JJ Starling. I’m not as high on him as most here, but maybe he will round Into form close to home.

Finally we need to install a man to man defense so we don’t rely on the zone 100% for a multitude of reasons.

We really need to be active in the portal in the off-season. If Miami and Pitt can build a team in one year so can we.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I’d be shocked if any of Joe, Jesse and Judah came back next year. Call me crazy but I think Joe is the most likely.

We need to be very active in the portal and it would be great if it wasn’t just limited to recruitment misses.

Unfortunately I’d be shocked if any of Joe, Jesse and Judah came back next year. Call me crazy but I think Joe is the most likely.

We need to be very active in the portal and it would be great if it wasn’t just limited to recruitment misses.
The coach said the program has received feelers from 8 players. I would expect that most of them are guys that our coaching staff had previous relationships with.

Yep zero disagreements. the guy I think can make the biggest jump too is Quadir. No he isn't consistent in games yet but he is right there. You can see it.. it's coming.

If JJ were to come and he is healthy.. that would be big. Plus I think he would excel at home

Not a bit awkward to return after walking through such a rousing Senior Day?

Yep zero disagreements. the guy I think can make the biggest jump too is Quadir. No he isn't consistent in games yet but he is right there. You can see it.. it's coming.

If JJ were to come and he is healthy.. that would be big. Plus I think he would excel at home
It would be nice to have the option of playing a 3 guard lineup, the way everyone else in the country does.

Starling and Copeland together could work, if we had a shooter(Girard?) with them and we were playing man.

The coach said the program has received feelers from 8 players. I would expect that most of them are guys that our coaching staff had previous relationships with.

So maybe JJ , Lands...

Crazy thought but wonder if any of the guys who left reached out about coming back?

It would be nice to have the option of playing a 3 guard lineup, the way everyone else in the country does.

Starling and Copeland together could work, if we had a shooter(Girard?) with them and we were playing man.

Honestly which is why I would prefer Judah, with that 3pt shot more refined and a real threat..

I think Lands and Bunch are redundant personally. I see no separation between either of their skills, but that’s me.

No disagreement.. I was mainly trying to figure/ take a wag of those mentioned putting feelers out..

Definitely - trying to get him to stay should be priority 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Yep.. Judah, Joe , Quadir, Brown and Jesse. Judah with the perimeter game in year 2... or either Bell/Taylor emerges and Quadir is the 6th starter. Hima still for depth at the 5. That's 7. No idea on Carey and what he would even be able to offer. So for 8-10 would be around finding a couple guys who want to battle or be depth on a good team... thus smaller school guys or maybe even overseas. Maybe Marek has some connects or suggestions...

Also if Benny stuck around I would be shocked but would be depth still here.

Any guesses on who? Starling?

I’d be frightened if Starling and Copeland are the backcourt. It would be the worst shooting guard duo in the ACC. We would need forwards who could knock down shots. One of them is fine, but I’m not sure about them as a duo.

JJ has also been terrible defensively this year.

I’d be frightened if Starling and Copeland are the backcourt. It would be the worst shooting guard duo in the ACC. We would need forwards who could knock down shots. One of them is fine, but I’m not sure about them as a duo.

JJ has also been terrible defensively this year.

Also the shoulder injury issue, for a guard especially is a concern for me. Judah should have an NBA $ level NIL offer on the table along with appropriate options for Jesse and Joe. Let's be that team that brings back all the guys others hope leave.

Lol it’s the newest curse word, I forgot. Do wonder if Andre Jackson surfaces though.
Looks like he’s been playing 30+ minutes every game for them lately.

I want Clingan. He hasn’t played more than 15 minutes in a game since January. He’d be a perfect Jesse replacement to play 30+ and average a double double.

No thank you on Jackson.
I do hear you. He’s a great athlete and good overall player but can’t shoot a lick and would mean we need both guards to be able to shoot as well as the other forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom