howard/carey | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

howard/carey

Well that's another discussion altogether. He should not have been playing that many minutes. That said, I'm not sure his shooting percentages would have improved a lot with a few less minutes. I also recall games where the opponent welcomed Frank's shots from downtown. When you're shooting in the low 30s that tends to happen.

There was no way to avoid him playing those minutes. We had six scholarship players a one point last year. Also have you ever tried shooting a jump shot on tired legs. It’s why he’s shooting like crap this year too. He’s not in game shape. Once he gets his legs and he’s only playing 30 minutes a game I think he’ll be fine.

There was no way to avoid him playing those minutes. We had six scholarship players a one point last year. Also have you ever tried shooting a jump shot on tired legs. It’s why he’s shooting like crap this year too. He’s not in game shape. Once he gets his legs and he’s only playing 30 minutes a game I think he’ll be fine.

Agreed. All his shots are short. He’s not missing left or right. Tells me it’s a leg issue.

As “bad” as some people think Frank is playing, he’s only played 5 of 9 games and is only playing about 1/2 the minutes of those games (22mpg over 5 games), he still leads the team in total assists, assist to turnover ratio (3.8-1) and is 2nd to Hughes in total steals.

Frank being better on defense is a nice JB talking point...but it’s not true with Frank in his current state
Look and see who is leading the team in steals per minute...and it is not even close...lack of fitness obviously playing a role on closeouts and movement as he gets tired but I'm not so sure it is so black and white...

Well, we also shot like a single digit percentage in the first half so that may account for more than the pace.

We took difficult shots in the first half because we walked the ball up the court and played against their set defense. Pushing the ball got us better shots in the 2nd half. This isn't rocket science guys. Geez. Frank walks the ball up the court. It's infuriating.

We took difficult shots in the first half because we walked the ball up the court and played against their set defense. Pushing the ball got us better shots in the 2nd half. This isn't rocket science guys. Geez. Frank walks the ball up the court. It's infuriating.
I saw a whole lot of mostly uncontested shots we missed in the first half. Those weren't affected by pace.

He's a senior. Do you honestly believe he walks the ball up because that's how he wants to play? I'm with you on him holding the ball too much when in the half court, but the speed moving up the floor is clearly at the direction of that coach guy.

Look and see who is leading the team in steals per minute...and it is not even close...lack of fitness obviously playing a role on closeouts and movement as he gets tired but I'm not so sure it is so black and white...

Steals per minute is nice. I’m talking more about stalling penitration and closeouts right now with Frank. No one was getting by Carey yesterday.

Steals per minute is nice. I’m talking more about stalling penitration and closeouts right now with Frank. No one was getting by Carey yesterday.
They both had some nice tipped passes. When they are both healthy and in shape I do think they will make a great duo at the top of the zone.

Not true. You need a new rocketship science book.

Lots of opinions on here...that's all they are is opinions. It's nice to be able to read everyone's opinions on here about cuse related stuff. Makes for good entertainment! #thatstheonlytruth

Not true. You need a new rocketship science book.

Actually you need to put in your hearing aid. In JB's postgame Georgetown presser listen at the 10:00 mark. He said frank is playing slow. We need to play faster etc. Give it a listen, believe the Hall of Famer not me. LMAO

Actually you need to put in your hearing aid. In JB's postgame Georgetown presser listen at the 10:00 mark. He said frank is playing slow. We need to play faster etc. Give it a listen, believe the Hall of Famer not me. LMAO

Watch the video. And jb is talking about penetration as much as anything. Watch the video. You’ll be surprised. You could read the generals detailed post too.

As “bad” as some people think Frank is playing, he’s only played 5 of 9 games and is only playing about 1/2 the minutes of those games (22mpg over 5 games), he still leads the team in total assists, assist to turnover ratio (3.8-1) and is 2nd to Hughes in total steals.
I think the (rational) critique of Frank so far has been it's like he's playing with cement blocks for shoes (due to his injury) on offense - which is not to say he hasn't been passing well or a factor on defense

Last edited:
Nobody is calling for Frank's head...its different this time around then previously when people were crucifying him. No one here has done that. We need frank and we need him to play well. I think everyone wants to see a healthy frank because it's pretty obvious hes not 100%. Also I think people like what they are seeing from Jalen and how he runs the offense which is noticeably different then how frank runs the offense. Both are ok and people are allowed to like one style more then the other. I love the tempo that Carey plays with but I also think we will need Frank's leadership down the stretch. They both can learn from each other and get better. Frank is definitely playing slower then his normal slow lol...with that said he is still doing great things for us on the court. He will get better and get in game shape as time goes on. Carey will also get better as time goes on. JB has some nice options to choose from and I think JB wants frank to play quicker then last year with the players and depth we have. Nice problems to have!

There were some nights where the walk-on could have done less damage, he was playing that poorly.

There were some nights where the walk-on could have done less damage, he was playing that poorly.

Cherry picking bad games? Jesus. He shot 36% from 3 in ACC play. He was in the top 5 in the ACC in assists on a team that couldn’t shoot straight. He led the ACC in steals. The 2nd half of the season he averaged only 2.5 turnovers a game. He finished 2nd in the ACC most improved voting. Big picture.

Nobody is calling for Frank's head...its different this time around then previously when people were crucifying him. No one here has done that. We need frank and we need him to play well. I think everyone wants to see a healthy frank because it's pretty obvious hes not 100%. Also I think people like what they are seeing from Jalen and how he runs the offense which is noticeably different then how frank runs the offense. Both are ok and people are allowed to like one style more then the other. I love the tempo that Carey plays with but I also think we will need Frank's leadership down the stretch. They both can learn from each other and get better. Frank is definitely playing slower then his normal slow lol...with that said he is still doing great things for us on the court. He will get better and get in game shape as time goes on. Carey will also get better as time goes on. JB has some nice options to choose from and I think JB wants frank to play quicker then last year with the players and depth we have. Nice problems to have!

And nobody wants to watch the 2nd half replay.

Cherry picking bad games? Jesus. He shot 36% from 3 in ACC play. He was in the top 5 in the ACC in assists on a team that couldn’t shoot straight. He led the ACC in steals. The 2nd half of the season he averaged only 2.5 turnovers a game. He finished 2nd in the ACC most improved voting. Big picture.

Not cherry picking. The point made was that we had no choice but to play Frank 38-40 last year. Surely you can recall a few games last year where he played so poorly that any substitute would have done less damage.

And nobody wants to watch the 2nd half replay.
I liked what frank and the team did in the 2nd half. He is still playing slower then normal and plays at a slower pace then Carey. Nothing wrong with that? Not taking any digs at frank and I know we are going to need him because hes a HUGE part of our team. He has to get healthy and play a bit faster. We have some horses that want to run and he has to get on board...he did get in the lane a few times and looked to make some plays which was encouraging to see. I think his conditioning is the issue right now and he is still trying to clear the mental hurdle of going 100% on his leg.

Not cherry picking. The point made was that we had no choice but to play Frank 38-40 last year. Surely you can recall a few games last year where he played so poorly that any substitute would have done less damage.
No. And I challenge you to find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom