Howard has to figure it out and fast. | Syracusefan.com

Howard has to figure it out and fast.

OmahaCuse

Starter
Gillon is a good guy to sub in, we are in trouble big time without a PG this year. Why does Roberson not play anymore and we need more Battle and Chukwu

No hyperbole this is the worst set of Pt guards ever at Syracuse. Gillon is to small and clearly a non Power 5 Guard and Howard is playing as bad as I have ever seen a Syracuse guard play, looks completely lost. He's making Kaleb Joseph look like Allen Iverson at this point. I don't have the answer but JB has to do something, play Battle at the 1 or a walk on do something. Gillon drives into a set of trees and either turns it over or takes a crazy shot that has 5% chance of going in. Frank just simply turns it over. I feel like our PT guards and the SU secondary this past season are battling it out neck and neck for ineptness.

Center would be just as bad but TT is doing his best as a Frosh and looks like he's going to be a special player here. White has been a disaster in any big game, did he make a shot after going 2-2 to start the game? Lydon came to play today but unfortunatley he was the only one. If someone is on campus this week could they stop by Tyler Roberson's dorm room and let him know the season started, thanks.

Lacrosse season can't start soon enough.

I feel bad for Gillon. He is clearly above his head but he's had good games and is busting his a**. I said it a few weeks ago, I'd kill for us to have Mali/Kaleb and get rid of AW3/Gillon. Too bad Kaleb left, I feel like he'd be the lead PG on this team.

Gillon is a good guy to sub in, we are in trouble big time without a PG this year. Why does Roberson not play anymore and we need more Battle and Chukwu

Just watch Roberson's past games, that's the reason he doesn't play. Don't mind if Chukwu plays, only if it's at some junior college in California.

BS.

Not sure about the Kaleb love, and I know you spoke highly of John coming in, but he's just too small RF. Makes some plays, had nice passes today at times, but he needs to learn how to use a floater or a mid range shot.

I think everyone can clearly see why the staff went all in on Quade Green.

Not getting him is gonna set this program back years. Howard is clearly not a Div 1 guard. If we can't get that other kid to re-classify and commit here we will be in dire straights next year to.

He's just not ready yet, it'll take time. He's not another Joseph.

Gillon's the product of laziness on the staffs part. I don't know how the hell you can explain grabbing a sub 6' point guard 5th year. I get it if our team just needs a spark 3 point threat. But expecting him to give a top ACC team 20+ minutes of quality guard play? Come on. Gillons good at providing short bursts of offense, but I don't know how they ever thought he'd be able to head the zone and our offense.

He's been as bad as you can possibly be offensively. Didn't do one thing right on offense. Even on the play he got a steal and breakaway he slowed down, went off two feet, cocked the ball behind his head and got it knocked away. Clueless. Zero instincts. Play Battle more.

College hoop's most critical position by far is guard play, especially the point. We have no true point, so no general and leadership on the floor. FH is not a pg of any significance, especially at the higher level of competition. Bilas pointed that out a few times during the broadcast that against the quality teams SU has played to date, USC, UW, UConn and G'Town today, he has averaged only 3 assists a game, and has had multiple turnovers. Frankly, he has been putrid.

Additionally, FH doesn't appear to be able to create anything for the offense, a dribble here, a dribble there and then a pass to someone, anyone...who's available. He's appears slow in addition to not being a highly skilled ball handler, certainly not at the level needed to play against the higher quality opponents. The rare times he does gets into the lane or to the basket, he can't finish in traffic.

Gillon isn't the guy either. He had many drives to the hoop today that he just wasn't able to finish in traffic. Due to his size, that isn't about to change anytime soon.

That huge swing and miss on Quade is looming larger and larger.

This will be one of longest winter's in a while.

Not sure about the Kaleb love, and I know you spoke highly of John coming in, but he's just too small RF. Makes some plays, had nice passes today at times, but he needs to learn how to use a floater or a mid range shot.
It's funny, our bigs have mid range shooting ability, our guards don't.

He's just not ready yet, it'll take time. He's not another Joseph.

Gillon's the product of laziness on the staffs part. I don't know how the hell you can explain grabbing a sub 6' point guard 5th year. I get it if our team just needs a spark 3 point threat. But expecting him to give a top ACC team 20+ minutes of quality guard play? Come on. Gillons good at providing short bursts of offense, but I don't know how they ever thought he'd be able to head the zone and our offense.

There is a difference of "not being ready" and being 100% clueless as a sophemore. There are guys in high school who could probably play on an NBA bench. There are players all over the ACC and P5 schools that are Howard's age and less who play good ball.

The guard play -- both spots -- on this team is abysmal. There is no PG. Howard was just atrocious today. Can't have a PG that doesn't score and then has 6 turnovers to boot. Part of the reason the defense isn't good is that this team can't score so teams get a lot of transition opportunities before the zone can get set. I don't see it changing this year.

Some people are just enthralled with the zone and having big/non-tradional PGs running the show. But it's clear as day to me that FH is a player who at times can make great passes with pretty good court vision, but just is not a PG who can run a show masquerading as one. His shortcomings are masked against lower level guards that he can largely overpower and get to the rim on and see over. But when going up against top caliber stronger and/or quicker guards, he is getting completely exposed.

The point guards played poorly, but a lot of people are too carried away in writing Howard off. College basketball's not about instant gratification (that's what got Kaleb Joseph run off in favor of his shorter and more defensively-clueless clone), it's about development. I can't imagine if these boards had been around when Autry and Hart were underclassmen.

I feel bad for Gillon. He is clearly above his head but he's had good games and is busting his a**. I said it a few weeks ago, I'd kill for us to have Mali/Kaleb and get rid of AW3/Gillon. Too bad Kaleb left, I feel like he'd be the lead PG on this team.

Couldn't agree more; I appreciate Gillon's effort and IQ, but what in the world was this staff thinking forcing Joseph out for a smaller and less experienced kid who's only going to spend a year here? Total bonehead move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom