Howard has to figure it out and fast. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Howard has to figure it out and fast.

I think Gillon needs more time as lead guard. I think we are in agreement. Let Frank play more off the ball especially if his 3Pt shooting stays pretty good. Maybe he can make plays from the SG spot driving to the rim. I just don't know what the hell is going on out there. Frank today was just too cavalier and loosey-goosey with some terrible lazy passes. Gillon at least was playing downhill. Something this team badly needs. Sure it sucks he missed those bunnies but some were so close. Also it is not his fault when nobody is cutting to the rim when he is driving. Ugh.
yeah nothing to lose giving that a try - Gillon playing more lead with Frank playing more off the ball - I mean at this point anything/everything has to be on the table

Who played better today, John Wooden? Because if your eye test tells you Frank Howard, then your eye test sucks. Mid majors? What were their respective stats today?

And spare me your dopey crusade against 5th year transfers. You've got to be the only college basketball "fan" who doesn't recognize that as an important new aspect of recruiting that has evolved in the game.
show me one good team that is relying on 5th year transfers from loser programs. i'll stay behind the true soph that had a bad game over the 5th year merc that had a bad game every single time.

show me one good team that is relying on 5th year transfers from loser programs. i'll stay behind the true soph that had a bad game over the 5th year merc that had a bad game every single time.
see, the thing about your H0T Takes is that they're not even lukewarm anymore because of your constant, repeated attempt at H0T Takes (not to mention 95% of them being just plain wrong)

Louisville was a top 10 team last year, with two of their top 3 key players from last year's squad being fifth year transfers. One of whom was from loser program Cleveland State.

Which of course you would have readily known if you knew anything about college basketball.

I think Gillon needs more time as lead guard. I think we are in agreement. Let Frank play more off the ball especially if his 3Pt shooting stays pretty good. Maybe he can make plays from the SG spot driving to the rim. I just don't know what the hell is going on out there. Frank today was just too cavalier and loosey-goosey with some terrible lazy passes. Gillon at least was playing downhill. Something this team badly needs. Sure it sucks he missed those bunnies but some were so close. Also it is not his fault when nobody is cutting to the rim when he is driving. Ugh.

What both of these guards seem to lack is doing purposeful things with the ball when they make moves off of the bounce. Gillon was better today than he's been--had a couple of nice passes off the bounce--but when you make up your mind to take it to the tin, forget about trying to avoid getting it blocked, draw contact and get to the line. Drives me nuts about him. But I agree with your point about him playing downhill. He seems to be slowly figuring things out, whereas Howard seems to be going in the opposite direction.

But skurey's point above is correct--neither is playing to their potential, and we need more from both for this team to right the ship.

Louisville was a top 10 team last year, with two of their top 3 key players from last year's squad being fifth year transfers. One of whom was from loser program Cleveland State.

Which of course you would have readily known if you knew anything about college basketball.

Yup and the other transfer was from a losing Drexel team, I think.

I've been reading this board since the late 90s and I don't recall a single player ever being more irrationally built up by our fans than Frank.

Paul Harris. We expected him to be a cross between Barkley and Lebron coming out of HS.

Yup and the other transfer was from a losing Drexel team, I think.
and he was actually the better of the two - really good player (I'm blanking on their names right now)

and he was actually the better of the two - really good player (I'm blanking on their names right now)

Something Lee. I think he's on a pro roster too.

Couldn't agree more; I appreciate Gillon's effort and IQ, but what in the world was this staff thinking forcing Joseph out for a smaller and less experienced kid who's only going to spend a year here? Total bonehead move.

I doubt they forced him out specifically for Gillon. Gillon committed well after Joseph left, no? My guess is he new Howard was ahead of him and that Battle would handle back-up PG duties if necessary.

I doubt they forced him out specifically for Gillon. Gillon committed well after Joseph left, no? My guess is he new Howard was ahead of him and that Battle would handle back-up PG duties if necessary.

Yeah Gillon has nothing to do with Joseph. Joseph had no game and his confidence was really shattered early in his Soph season so JB put him permanently on the bench. G saved us.

Paul Harris. We expected him to be a cross between Barkley and Lebron coming out of HS.

Granted PH was a 5 star top 20-25 recruit, unlike Howard.

yep he was solid be Lee was a stud

Yup. They were really solid before the news hit. Definitely would've made some noise in the tourney as usual. But the rube (Orangehomer or Townie?) who says that nobody succeeds with or no power team uses grad transfers as major players on their team is flat out wrong.

The team we played today relied heavily on a 4th-year (immediate) transfer from a loser program (Robert Morris).

The team we played today relied heavily on a 4th-year (immediate) transfer from a loser program (Robert Morris).
so that Pryor dude isn't a 5th yr?

so that Pryor dude isn't a 5th yr?

3rd year of playing. Maybe he is out of eligibility though.

Edit: Looks like he already missed couple of years with knee and leg injuries and this is his 6th and final year.

3rd year of playing. Maybe he is out of eligibility though.
just looked him up - 2 different jucos prior to Rob Morris, 2 yrs at RM - but yeah he's considered a grad xfer for gtown

Let's remember that G looked really bad early on here. Howard might take some time - but we have no choice either way.

So we are supposed to wait 2-3 years for Howard to "get it" and just suffer through abysmal play from a player who really hasn't showed me he "has it" at all. Got it.

So we are supposed to wait 2-3 years for Howard to "get it" and just suffer through abysmal play from a player who really hasn't showed me he "has it" at all. Got it.
They went after Quade. They didn't get him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom