Howard has to figure it out and fast. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Howard has to figure it out and fast.

So telling me there are no Point Guards left in the world?
There are, but they're short and probably would be bad at the top of the zone.

ETA: Yes Quade is short too, but he is a better PG than the rest of the midgets.

So we are supposed to wait 2-3 years for Howard to "get it" and just suffer through abysmal play from a player who really hasn't showed me he "has it" at all. Got it.
Howard has had moments but frankly too few and far between. As Bilas said the whole team but Frank in particular are like a second late on all their passes.

Howard has had moments but frankly too few and far between. As Bilas said the whole team but Frank in particular are like a second late on all their passes.

Outside of Lydon and Thompson we are the worst passing team I've ever seen. If your big's are your best passers you are screwed. So many guys are open. I can see it from the 3rd level, but the players can't.

Outside of Lydon and Thompson we are the worst passing team I've ever seen. If your big's are your best passers you are screwed. So many guys are open. I can see it from the 3rd level, but the players can't.
Some players cannot intuitively make the simple play. Always thinking HR when a single will do. Take Howard's blocked dunk as an example. If he lays it up, he gets 2 points...

Sorry but Gillon ain't close to living up to the hype you had for him. He's OK, but he's a bit piece on a high caliber team.

Gillon is demonstrating that his capabilities are very much in line with what I evaluated this offseason / preseason. It wasn't "hype."

You wrote him off prematurely.

Last edited:
Gillon is demonstrating that his capabilities are very much in line with what I evaluated this offseason / preseason. It wasn't "hype."

He had a great game. I never said he stunk, either.

Hope he has turned the corner and plays this way for the rest of the season. We need him. I still don't think he's a huge piece on a Final Four-caliber team, especially the way we play with the zone. But if he can hit open shots, be aggressive offensively and figure out a way to finish a majority of the time or make the right play, that's all we need. Especially with Howard appearing to be a unmitigated disaster.

Di

Digging up an old thread to toot your own horn is kinda tacky bro. Gillon has had two nice games in a row, yes. Does that make up for 15 bad ones? Not yet.

He had a great game. I never said he stunk, either.

Hope he has turned the corner and plays this way for the rest of the season. We need him. I still don't think he's a huge piece on a Final Four-caliber team, especially the way we play with the zone. But if he can hit open shots, be aggressive offensively and figure out a way to finish a majority of the time or make the right play, that's all we need. Especially with Howard appearing to be a unmitigated disaster.

That's fair--your take really bothered me back then, because it was both off target and also seemed like a potshot when the team wasn't playing well. Glad that Gillon is disproving that opinion, not just to us but to college basketball. We need him to be a factor.

I think for Gillon to maximize his contributions, he has to be a scorer. Early in the season, he was focused on trying to run the team at the expense of looking for his shot [still shaking my head about him revealing that he'd never run a structured offense before--hard to believe].

This kid's speed and ability to get into the lane are shaping up to be important factors in our half court offensive execution -- especially with the shooters we have. When he's scoring, he's that much more dynamic, and our team offense thrives off of that type of play.

With our backs against the wall the way the season has unfolded, we can't tolerate any more performances like the Notre Dame game from Gillon. He has to show consistency, and continue to be a weapon--both as a playmaker and as a scorer.

Claiming that you know Jim Boeheim as the basis for your posting info was also tacky, but I didn't criticize you for that. Now I will.
yes

Kaleb Joseph

But at least with Kaleb the hype came from his high school days. With Frank, we all saw last year that he was miserable at putting the ball in the basket in any capacity, but he was still anointed as a star-in-the-making.

Would anyone be kind enough to PM me the details on the FH situation? It is tough to follow along on any FH topic by being the guy outside the huddle here. Thanks in advance.

No hyperbole this is the worst set of Pt guards ever at Syracuse. Gillon is to small and clearly a non Power 5 Guard and Howard is playing as bad as I have ever seen a Syracuse guard play, looks completely lost. He's making Kaleb Joseph look like Allen Iverson at this point. I don't have the answer but JB has to do something, play Battle at the 1 or a walk on do something. Gillon drives into a set of trees and either turns it over or takes a crazy shot that has 5% chance of going in. Frank just simply turns it over. I feel like our PT guards and the SU secondary this past season are battling it out neck and neck for ineptness.

Center would be just as bad but TT is doing his best as a Frosh and looks like he's going to be a special player here. White has been a disaster in any big game, did he make a shot after going 2-2 to start the game? Lydon came to play today but unfortunatley he was the only one. If someone is on campus this week could they stop by Tyler Roberson's dorm room and let him know the season started, thanks.

Lacrosse season can't start soon enough.
Apparently you missed the overtime, too bad for you. Well, for that matter, you must have left the room after Whites 2nd shot, because he scored 28, including 9 in overtime. Such a stupid thing to say...

Last edited:
Apparently you missed the overtime, too bad for you. Well, for that matter, you must have left the room after Whites 2nd shot, because he scored 28, including 9 in overtime. Such a stupid thing to say...

You realize that post is from 12/17/16 right?

Something tells me you didn't.

But at least with Kaleb the hype came from his high school days. With Frank, we all saw last year that he was miserable at putting the ball in the basket in any capacity, but he was still anointed as a star-in-the-making.

Frank did dish out a high number of assists last year, relative to his playing time.

He made some shots and gave us some good minutes in the tourney run.

He's got good size and it was a reasonable hope that he could become a solid defender up top.

"Star" was certainly a reach, but I'm shocked that he's been this bad. And I was saying that I thought he would play a lot less than many thought he would and would be getting squeezed out a bit come conference time. But I thought he'd be much more effective in his minutes than he has been. He's been a complete disaster and I'm baffled.

Frank did dish out a high number of assists last year, relative to his playing time.

He made some shots and gave us some good minutes in the tourney run.

Frank averaged 6.7 apg per 40 minutes last year, he's averaging 9.9 this year per 40.

Frank hit a grand total of 3 baskets in the entire tournament in 50 minutes played.

Not sure what you remember.

Frank averaged 6.7 apg per 40 minutes last year, he's averaging 9.9 this year per 40.

Frank hit a grand total of 3 baskets in the entire tournament in 50 minutes played.

Not sure what you remember.

That first number shocks me. Felt like he displayed solid court vision last year, and I have no idea what he's doing out there this year. Though he did have a ton of assists early in the season every time we played a scrub team.

The second...how many shots did he take?

That first number shocks me. Felt like he displayed solid court vision last year, and I have no idea what he's doing out there this year. Though he did have a ton of assists early in the season every time we played a scrub team.

The second...how many shots did he take?

3 out of 10 shots.

I know that seems to be what everybody said about him last year which is was I didn't believe the hype at all about him coming into this year. I think people saw Joseph out there and saw somebody come in that looked more fluid on the court which Howard did, but it was made out to be that he was the next MCW and Rondo.

Even last year he put up some decent/solid numbers against bad teams and didn't do much against the good ones, same as this year.

If he stays on I hope he gets it together but with the data in front of us it's going to take a lot of hard work for him to get to the level we need him to get to for us to be successful.

Oh, Howard.

In the first half seemed to be doing his usual move of picking up the dribble needlessly.

In the second half I thought he actually was doing okay for a short stretch - would drive hard to the middle, get the help defender to hedge just a bit, then kick with just enough room for White to bury a three. Set up Lydon for a nice three - although perhaps a little too deep. lol

And then.....boooom. Horrendous turnover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom