Howard Washington Injury... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington Injury...

He said that after the Pitt game. Injuries happen. With a small roster he should’ve developed his bench this year. But it is what it is now.
and risked losing? No way.

How the heck can you count Lydon? Why not count Malachi too while you’re at it? And some of the players we have might not be here if others were here. Thompson could be used as a guard? Someone spike your coffee?

I meant Washington, not Thompson. And I count Lydon because in JB's words he "left late", after the recruiting was done.

lydon gone was a no brainer. probably why we get brissett. thorpe and marek probably wouldn't be there if thompson stayed. it's new math.

Lydon left months after we got Brissett.

I'm hearing third hand that it could be bad enough to keep him out next year. Take it for what it's worth, but be ready for very bad news. Feel for the kid.

I truly hope each of your sources are exaggerating. God that sucks. I'm really bummed for this kid. He seems like a good kid with his demeanor on the bench and I truly believe he was becoming a serious contributor. Damnit!

Lydon left months after we got Brissett.

This is wrong. We used every scholarship we had this year, without Lydon in the mix. Red shirts still count as a schollarship, and we only had 11 to begin with due to probation.

1) Howard
2) Battle
3) Brissett
4) Dolezaj
5) Chukeu
6) Sidibe
7) Hughes - red shirt
8) Thompson - left after school started making it impossible to bring in a replacement.
9) Thorpe - Left during the season
10) Moyer - hurt
11) Washington -hurt

Boeheim actually did a phenomenal job putting together a deep team on short notice and with fewer coaches able to go out and recruit than every other school gets.

This is just a tremendous amount of bad luck.

I truly hope each of your sources are exaggerating. God that sucks. I'm really bummed for this kid. He seems like a good kid with his demeanor on the bench and I truly believe he was becoming a serious contributor. Damnit!
I hope so too, he's so easy to root for and was getting a great opportunity to show what he can do.

Hindsight is 20/20 but was it wise to use a scholly on a transfer redshirt when you only have 11?

Yes, it was. We are trying to build something. We had enough players. Should've played the ones we had but that's a different debate, I guess.
i liked the first half of your post; the 2nd half i don't understand the point of. hw is out; we'd be in the same boat whether he'd had been getting more meaningful minutes or not.

Really? Brissett chose Syracuse in November of 2016. Lydon declared for the NBA Draft in March of 2017.

I deleted what else I tyoed. It's like biting my tongue.

Did you read his post backwards? What am I missing? Aren’t you saying the same thing he did?

I hope so too, he's so easy to root for and was getting a great opportunity to show what he can do.
Hearing the same. It appears to be very bad. Need swelling to go down to be sure. Can't do an MRI yet. Looking at a 12 month recovery period if the thinking is correct. If so, will probably red shirt next year, but maybe practice 2nd half. Hear it was brutal at practice when it happened. Everyone knew it was something very bad. Hoping he has the same success that Brittney Sykes had. Positive thoughts. It is what it is. Season is what it is. Overall it has been a better season then we all expected up to this point. Maybe one of our walk ons will be magic. Like the type of guy who never hits a 3, but when they play against Syracuse, they hit 9 of them. Maybe we will find that guy from the walk ons.

i liked the first half of your post; the 2nd half i don't understand the point of. hw is out; we'd be in the same boat whether he'd had been getting more meaningful minutes or not.
Yes, of course we would be.

The second half was just something I threw in there. I've found it interesting that many of the same people who didn't want JB to play guys on his bench more minutes (particularly HW) are bemoaning the fact that SU is down to 6 players. Injuries happen and not playing guys more minutes with a limited roster was Russian roulette and now we are staring down the barrel.

Yes, it was. We are trying to build something. We had enough players. Should've played the ones we had but that's a different debate, I guess.

I get that we are trying to build something. But if you are under scholly limits, don't you have to adjust that strategy? Is 11 enough to field an active team and stash a guy?

If it is, why does everyone complain about the scholarship sanctions when we aren't maxing out the ones we have for guys who can contribute?

Hearing the same. It appears to be very bad. Need swelling to go down to be sure. Can't do an MRI yet. Looking at a 12 month recovery period if the thinking is correct. If so, will probably red shirt next year, but maybe practice 2nd half. Hear it was brutal at practice when it happened. Everyone knew it was something very bad. Hoping he has the same success that Brittney Sykes had. Positive thoughts. It is what it is. Season is what it is. Overall it has been a better season then we all expected up to this point. Maybe one of our walk ons will be magic. Like the type of guy who never hits a 3, but when they play against Syracuse, they hit 9 of them. Maybe we will find that guy from the walk ons.

Nice post but it's not been a better season than we all expected. Seems the range of expectations for reasonable people was 17-21 wins in the regular season. Seems to be where we were headed and still might be. (It's now hard to say what will happen or would've happened, considering the team is decimated).

That's not to say JB hasn't done a good job but to date the team hasn't overachieved. We haven't won one game that was surprisimg. We lost to two teams who weren't at full strength. Hopefully, we can dish out some of that. Odd season but outside of the ND and Wake games, the team has given good effort.

Last edited:
I get that we are trying to build something. But if you are under scholly limits, don't you have to adjust that strategy? Is 11 enough to field an active team and stash a guy?

If it is, why does everyone complain about the scholarship sanctions when we aren't maxing out the ones we have for guys who can contribute?

I get your point and I don't like how we've managed the roster in a lot of ways in recent years but Hughes isn't the problem, provided he's actually using this year to get stronger and better.

Thats all I've got right now.

E2BC2934-12DF-4D8D-88F3-EEEDE03DA6E4.jpeg
Nothing will be announced until JB’s postgame presser but it’s not good.

Damone, you got those Earth, Wind & Fire tickets? Cause you know, I promised my little brother.

Is that your little brother? Good lookin kid.

Are you basically saying he's out for the year?

I get your point and I don't like how we've managed the roster in a lot of ways in recent years but Hughes isn't the problem, provided he's actually using this year to get stronger and better.

Thats all I've got right now.

Right but I didn't really mean it about Hughes specifically. He could be player X. It's the overall strategy.

Obviously if a series of unfortunate events don't happen, we aren't having this convo. I just get tired of the "scholarship sanctions" argument to excuse the current state of the program when we don't typically use our full allotment on contributors and we feel comfortable stashing a luxury redshirt even when we are limited.

Provided Battle and Howard remain healthly, JB will only need to find a few minutes from a walk-on guard most nights. The season is far from lost.

Feel for the kid. But if he can redshirt next year that might not be the worst thing either (assuming he fully recovers, that's #1). We'd have Howard, Carey and Hughes at the G spots at the very least, and that's assuming Tyus doesn't come back. Then Howard leaves - you have a sophomore Carey, sophomore HoWash and junior Hughes. I assume Hughes could play some 3 as well, but if the staff is as high on him as people are saying, it was hard to see HoWash getting much PT next year. We all know Frank as a senior would rarely come out, Carey is a top 40 kid and it's hard to see him not getting PT, then Hughes. I'm sure Washignton could have gotten some minutes, but having him an extra year, selfishly, might be good for us.

I thought the team played with him in on multiple occasions in ACC play, once he gets the zone D down he'll be a very, very good player for us. Never want to see someones season end like this.

I picked the right Syracuse game to attend this year *face palm* :(

At least you don't have to worry about them resting the regulars?

Feel for the kid. But if he can redshirt next year that might not be the worst thing either (assuming he fully recovers, that's #1). We'd have Howard, Carey and Hughes at the G spots at the very least, and that's assuming Tyus doesn't come back. Then Howard leaves - you have a sophomore Carey, sophomore HoWash and junior Hughes. I assume Hughes could play some 3 as well, but if the staff is as high on him as people are saying, it was hard to see HoWash getting much PT next year. We all know Frank as a senior would rarely come out, Carey is a top 40 kid and it's hard to see him not getting PT, then Hughes. I'm sure Washignton could have gotten some minutes, but having him an extra year, selfishly, might be good for us.

I thought the team played with him in on multiple occasions in ACC play, once he gets the zone D down he'll be a very, very good player for us. Never want to see someones season end like this.
You’d have Goodine as well.

If Battle leaves and HW is out a year, might need another guard for next year. Lose a guard and you’re back to two guards again.

You’d have Goodine as well.

If Battle leaves and HW is out a year, might need another guard for next year. Lose a guard and you’re back to two guards again.

I would like to see us pick up a guard that has a strong handle. We'll have a bunch of guys capable of giving minutes as a 2, but not so sure who the emergency plan at the 1 is if we were to lose FH or JC to an injury, who I assume will both be playing a lot of minutes. Before the injury HW was that guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom