Howard Washington Update... out for season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington Update... out for season

With this injury looking more and more like an ACL/MCL tear, does this increase the potential of a redshirt year for Howard Washington next year?

There has been some discussion about him redshirting anyway with Howard/Hughes/Carey and maybe Battle (low probability) back next year. Now with a 6-9 month rehab/recovery period for knee surgery, isn't it almost certain he will miss next season?

Devo tore his ACL in mid-December, and he was ready by the start of the next season.

Washington is about 6-7 weeks behind Devo's timetable.

Doubtful he's even ready for training camp.

If he has multiple ligament damage, he's not a player at all next season.

I've heard "gory" used to describe the injury. That's not a good sign.

I hear it resembled a turkey leg that you try to twist off the bird at thanksgiving...like mangled

Honestly, seeing if HW was going to get meaningful minutes and progress was really all I had left in terms of interest with this team. I'm not going out of my way anymore, that's for sure.
Sorry you feel that way but I will still go to every home game and watch every road game on TV. I've been through suckie years in the past and will do it again.
Not Knocking you - just expressing my feelings.

Sorry you feel that way but I will still go to every home game and watch every road game on TV. I've been through suckie years in the past and will do it again.
Not Knocking you - just expressing my feelings.
No true fan would pull a Geno Thorpe on this team :rolleyes:

Anyone know if Geno Thorpe officially left Syracuse? Any chance he could join the program again and play if he is still an SU student?
Can't believe that he would still be enrolled in school after quitting the team. Wouldn't his scholarship be dependent on participating with the team?

Can't believe that he would still be enrolled in school after quitting the team. Wouldn't his scholarship be dependent on participating with the team?
He is not in the student directory.

I wouldn’t be surprised if HoWash redshirts next year to give him time to fully recover.

Hughes and Carey give us some flexibility along with Frank.

At this point I think Battle could also be back.

yes he is

Eugene Melvin Thorpe
Hmm. I even searched on Eugene. Must have misspelled it.
upload_2018-2-1_21-4-36.gif

Any official reports out on the extent of his injury yet?

If indeed "gory" was described, then I'd speculate this injury was more related to a fractured/dislocated knee cap, as typically torn ACL's, etc. don't really show significant signs visually/externally. In addition to the kneecap, there may also be underlying cartilage and/or ligament damage. JB's comment of "they can fix it" lends me to believe this may be the case too, as of course torn ACL's can be fixed successfully today, that's quite commonplace.

Last edited:
I keep thinking of the Teddy Bridgewater injury. Hope it’s not that bad.

Hughes and Carey give us some flexibility along with Frank..
HW may decide this injury is a good opportunity to transfer to a school where he can eventually can see meaningful minutes. He's already been recruited over, and depending on how long the recovery period is, it's not crazy for him to consider. Selfishly we hope he sticks it out so we have that 4th guard next year. Just saying, though, when MCW was the 4th guard he hardly ever got off the bench unless we were up 40. Seeing as we can't even score 40, I think the handwriting is on the wall for him.

but being in the directory doesn't mean it just hasn't been updated if he did leave school.
The two new football transfers are in there, so you'd think Thorpe would've been updated too.

Anybody know how he got hurt? Did he go up for a layup and come down funny? Did he land on a teammate? If it's being described as gory and mangled, I can't imagine what actually happened. Hope the kid can make it back to the court someday, at the very least.

The two new football transfers are in there, so you'd think Thorpe would've been updated too.

They go in quicker than they’re taken out. Only point is that he is in the directory. So maybe he’s still in school but there’s no guarantee of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom